Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 8,301 times

Advertisements

Hey! Just wanted to share my story....I was ALSO hit by a car, while rollerblading to work in nyc, on Aug. 28. the car then proceeded to run over my right leg, in turn breaking my tibia. I believe the bone on my inner right ankle was shattered. I had emergency surgery and had two screws put in. I was only in the hospital over night and had a plaster cast/splint put on. I was on percocets (highly enjoyable) and I think I started weening off of them by the end of the first week and then on to tylenol. Oh, yeah...I was also getting married in three weeks!! We kept the wedding date as planned (as people had already booked flights, hotel rooms.. and we'd already post-poned the wedding date once, due to immigration reasons.) The worst part, for me, in the beginning was the fact that we lived in a five floor walk up and have two sets of stairs within our apt.. I couldn't do anything! My husband had to travel for work, so my mother took a week off work and flew here from Canada to take care of me. I couldn't shower without help, I couldn't go to the bathroom without my foot turning blue, I couldn't do anything! I had no idea that a broken leg would be so debilitating! At my one week follow-up appt. my surgeon removed the cast and stitches and gave me a velcro boot thing to wear. Which, by the way was very annoying to keep stink-free. The wedding was in Canada so my mother and I simply returned earlier than planned to be there. I, of course needed to see a different orthopedic surgeon there and begin physical therapy there. Our wedding was amazing. I simply walked down the aisle in crutches and we had a perfect day! No one will ever forget it!! Anyway, I began therapy at about 8 weeks in. It actually didn't take long for them to insist in an encouraging way, that I walk without my crutches and boot. It was very strange at first, and I'd say more mental than anything.. I probably took my first step at 11 weeks, post-surgery.. approx.. I used my bone healing machine religiously for the first 8 weeks, but didn't feel the need after I started therapy. I've been doing very well as of now and walking mostly with one crutch, but it's still very difficult to get around like a normal person. Walking a few blocks at a time is my limit. I'm very slow and my ankle gets sore if I'm on it too long. I went to see my surgeon today, (back in nyc) with new xrays and on my way the wind grabbed my xrays out of my free hand and hurtled them into traffic, where they proceeded to get run over by multiple cars...talk about insult to injury!!! I did actually recover them, thank God, and brought them to my appt.. where at 12 weeks, apparently my bone is still not completely healed! I couldn't believe it! So, I just wanted to share my time frame with others who are going through the same thing. I'm positive and I know I'll be healed soon... i hope.. Does anyone still have a broken bone after 12 weeks? I just want to know if it's normal..

Old 11-24-2008, 07:21 PM

190 posts, read 542,842 times
Default Don't get down

Quote:
Originally Posted by eursie View Post
My name is Eursula single mother of three need to get back to work. Its been 12 weeks and leg is still broke going crazy can only apply 20 percent weigh bearing casts hurt like heck only had surgery to place straight no rod, pins, plate or screws rod could shatter bone had bone manipulation was off by 9 millimeters now straight but still broke someone shed a little light.
Dear Eursula, I know it's ez to say, but keep your spirits up, do what the dr's say, take vitamins, eat youghurt, take vitamin D, do your
PT, do extra if you can. i am 33 days from "Point of no Return" but if you told me even 2 weeks ago that I'd be this much improved, I would've looked at you like there were two heads!! I find that reading everyone else's stories really helps me, just knowing I'm not alone, and absorbing all of the great advice!! You Tube is great for keeping your mind occupied (look at the funny stuff especially "funny cats". Hope you cheer up!!! Monica

Old 11-25-2008, 11:48 AM

190 posts, read 542,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emaisabel View Post
Wow! I now have something to do besides reading books...I just discovered this forum...and feel like I have a family of like-fractured friends...I am a lot older than most of you...70 this December, live in Guadalajar half the year, and near Houston the other half. I've always been very active, yoga, hiking, tai chi; I am an artist, an over-achiever...and now with the latest findings, may have to redo the surgery...as I wrote a few minutes ago, before reading many of these threads. How wonderful to have found you. Isabel
Hi Isabel, I LOL so hard when I saw your quote. That was exactly how I Felt when I found this site. I am a very active woman of 42 yrs so I am going insane being NWB and bedridden. I hope you are healing well.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:19 PM

4 posts, read 36,108 times
Default Plate removal surgery

Ok, so I just got back from meeting with the surgeon about plate/screw removal. I'm going to do it ... 12/11! The recovery sounds so easy ... no crutches, weight bearing right away! The dr said that I can do stuff like walk my dogs, yoga, etc. as soon as I wanted to. He said no really high impact stuff for a month or two after ... no basketball, running, etc. It sounds like it will definitely be worth it to be free of hardware!

Old 11-25-2008, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 8,265 times
Default Tibia Surgey (In reply to PositivOne)

Similarly to you PositiveOne, I hae had surgery on my tibia after a motorbike crash. I have 3 screws holding it back together and once again similarly to you, they will stay in. I had my operation on the 27th October so its been just over 4 weeks since my surgery. Initally it was painful and swollen as to be expected. But the only advice I can give you is listen very carefully to what your doctor says. Do the exercises that the Physios give you, dont over do it and dont be tempted to talk on it prematurely. This only makes things worse. My leg, although very thin through muscle wastage, is looking pretty good considering it was thrown into a rock at 50 mph! Sometimes I suffer from shooting pains but Ive been assured this is just nerves mending themselves! Stick in there buddy. Its very easy to get down being stuck in doors the whole time but its worth spending the time getting it right now so that you wont suffer later.
All the best

Old 11-26-2008, 08:37 PM

19 posts, read 81,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecanoe View Post
Ok, so I just got back from meeting with the surgeon about plate/screw removal. I'm going to do it ... 12/11! The recovery sounds so easy ... no crutches, weight bearing right away! The dr said that I can do stuff like walk my dogs, yoga, etc. as soon as I wanted to. He said no really high impact stuff for a month or two after ... no basketball, running, etc. It sounds like it will definitely be worth it to be free of hardware!

hi blue canoe. I was wondering if you got your screws out because they were causing pain or just because you wanted to. I am a 26 year old female healthy and fit. I had a rod and 6 screws put in 13 weeks ago from a broken tibia that occurred from playing football. I am walking and trying to start jogging but I still have a lot of pain in my ankle where the screws are. I am trying to figure out if the pain will go away as I get back in shape and build up the muscle, or if the pain I have is only due to the screws and if it hurts now it will hurt always. I am going to South America in 4 months so I don't know if I should have it done now, or give it at least a few months. I am a distant runner and would like to start training as soon as possible. I would love to just leave everything alone and it will be ok with time but I don't know if that is the case. If you could give me your opinion I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks,

Blk Diamund

Old 11-27-2008, 07:45 AM

20 posts, read 72,082 times
Hi Matilda,
I broke my ankle on July 25th/08 and had the metal plate surgery on 8/4/08. It has been almost 4 months and I still have pain or pressure almost everyday. I spoke to an orthapedic doctor at our Health Fair at work and she said I will have pain for 6 months to a year after surgery. I plan on moving to the mountains of NC and I'll bet the cold weather, the hiking and the gem hunting I plan on doing will aggravate it for years to come. At this point, I can't imagine ever "not even knowing it's in there" like the workman's comp doctor told me. I think that is a crock. I can't sit cross legged, take a lot of stairs or standing for a long time. I don't mean to be the barer of bad news, but so far that is all I have!! I hope you are doing well.
Trish

Old 11-28-2008, 12:45 AM

37 posts, read 306,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBwellsoon View Post
Hello everybody

I trust everyone is staying strong and positive,and hopefully you are healing well,as i said earlier,i have been back to hospital,had my x-rays done,and the news is,i have to go back up christmas eve,yeah ya guessed it,more x-rays,and if i hav'nt healed as expected,a bone graft has been mentioned,i will let you all know how i get on,and what i may have to go through...

im still taking my calcium,Vitamin D,drinking gallons of milk,yoghurts...(may need my own cow soon...)and apart from that excercise,stretching and the like,cant do much more ,but wait an see.

everybody stay positive,stay strong things will get better...take care...

hey Mike good luck! Don't forget to take silica which supposedly helps to heal stubborn fractures and get some morning sun (Vit D) 'cos it helps to convert the calcium into bone. Keep positive! I managed to escaped a bone graft. Took me 4.5 months (broken tibia). Am so grateful to be walking fine.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 36,108 times
Default Metal removal surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
hi blue canoe. I was wondering if you got your screws out because they were causing pain or just because you wanted to. I am a 26 year old female healthy and fit. I had a rod and 6 screws put in 13 weeks ago from a broken tibia that occurred from playing football. I am walking and trying to start jogging but I still have a lot of pain in my ankle where the screws are. I am trying to figure out if the pain will go away as I get back in shape and build up the muscle, or if the pain I have is only due to the screws and if it hurts now it will hurt always. I am going to South America in 4 months so I don't know if I should have it done now, or give it at least a few months. I am a distant runner and would like to start training as soon as possible. I would love to just leave everything alone and it will be ok with time but I don't know if that is the case. If you could give me your opinion I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks,

Blk Diamund

Hi Black Diamond,

I'm getting my metal out b/c after 3.5 years, it causes pain, stiffness, and swelling almost on a daily basis. I tried to live with it, and after this much time have concluded that it will always hurt and cause me problems. After meeting with the surgeon and hearing how easy the recovery is for removal surgery, I decided I had almost nothing to lose and nearly everything to gain in terms of a lifetime of less pain.

My thoughts for your specific situation based on what I know from mine ... 13 weeks since putting the metal in might be too soon to get it taken out, but that depends on how well you've healed and what your surgeon says. I know my original surgeon said I need to wait 6 mos. at a minimum before undergoing removal surgery. As far as the pain goes, mine is at least partly caused by constant tearing and irritation of the muscle that sits over the screw heads. For me, regaining strength of the muscle had nothing to do with decreased pain - rather, everyday activities increase my pain, even 3.5 years later. Although, I do remember a significant drop-off in pain levels after about 6 months of recovery - now I'm at a low, but ongoing level of pain. If your surgeon will take it out, now might be a good time given your plans for 4 months from now. My surgeon said that I need to lay off high-impact exercise for 1-2 months, and I could expect full healing within 12 weeks. If you have a 4-month window, you could recover entirely in that time frame. If I were you, I would talk to your surgeon and use their input to come up with your best option! Best of luck!

BlueCanoe

Old 11-28-2008, 08:49 PM

19 posts, read 81,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecanoe View Post
Hi Black Diamond,

I'm getting my metal out b/c after 3.5 years, it causes pain, stiffness, and swelling almost on a daily basis. I tried to live with it, and after this much time have concluded that it will always hurt and cause me problems. After meeting with the surgeon and hearing how easy the recovery is for removal surgery, I decided I had almost nothing to lose and nearly everything to gain in terms of a lifetime of less pain.

My thoughts for your specific situation based on what I know from mine ... 13 weeks since putting the metal in might be too soon to get it taken out, but that depends on how well you've healed and what your surgeon says. I know my original surgeon said I need to wait 6 mos. at a minimum before undergoing removal surgery. As far as the pain goes, mine is at least partly caused by constant tearing and irritation of the muscle that sits over the screw heads. For me, regaining strength of the muscle had nothing to do with decreased pain - rather, everyday activities increase my pain, even 3.5 years later. Although, I do remember a significant drop-off in pain levels after about 6 months of recovery - now I'm at a low, but ongoing level of pain. If your surgeon will take it out, now might be a good time given your plans for 4 months from now. My surgeon said that I need to lay off high-impact exercise for 1-2 months, and I could expect full healing within 12 weeks. If you have a 4-month window, you could recover entirely in that time frame. If I were you, I would talk to your surgeon and use their input to come up with your best option! Best of luck!

BlueCanoe

Hey,
Thank you BlueCanoe, for getting back to me on this. I really appreciate it.
I'm going to make the decision over the next few weeks. I'll let you know what I decided!
The other question I had for you is where were your screws? I have five in my ankle.
Thanks again

Blck Dmnd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness