Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 05:51 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,260,405 times

Advertisements

Hi. I need a hip operation and understand I'll be out of commission for several days. My husband is incapacitated but lives at home. We have Medicare and Social Security. Suggestions and/or information about what Medicare may provide for either one of us while I'm recuperating. He cannot walk well, is in bed a lot (the recliner), has fallen and has severe arthritis so can't dress himself, we have help come in for him 3x a week, 4 hours each time, but can't afford much more. We are over the edge for financial free help, we gotta pay for in-home or nursing home help, and because of his illness (he can fall and we have to call 911 to pick him up) I do not think I can stay away from him for any length of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 03:42 AM

880 posts, read 765,547 times
You will probably need to go to rehab after your surgery. Any you will need help even after you get home. Do you have any family that can come and help you and your husband? It’s going to be a long time before you will be healed enough to be your husbands primary caregiver. There is a caregiver forum her. You might post there also and see if they have any suggestions.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:27 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times
I would check with places in your city or county for services. Where I am we have a place called CASA (care and assurance system for the aging (& homebound) and have found services like this every place we have lived since I became disabled.

Places like this will have people who will help or they will know who can help.

The hospital where you have your surgery should also have social services and I would contact them before your surgery. If you have a Church that you attend they might have some
volunteers who are willing to help.

Sometimes you have to get creative in order to get the help and support you need. I wish you good luck and a smooth recovery.

Old 04-10-2022, 01:35 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
The hospital where you have your surgery should also have social services and I would contact them before your surgery.
Have you discussed these aspects of your upcoming procedure with your surgeon? When you finalize your surgical stay, the hospital should also do some advance planning for your discharge. They do have obligations not to discharge you if you don't have support at home. Make sure you bring all this up OP. They can probably connect you with local options for home care.

There may be an additional approach to take with this. From your husband's home care needs, not just yours. His normal caregiver will not be available. Maybe he is eligible for additional assistance on that basis.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-10-2022 at 02:06 PM..

Old 06-07-2022, 01:02 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Hi. I need a hip operation and understand I'll be out of commission for several days. My husband is incapacitated but lives at home. We have Medicare and Social Security. Suggestions and/or information about what Medicare may provide for either one of us while I'm recuperating. He cannot walk well, is in bed a lot (the recliner), has fallen and has severe arthritis so can't dress himself, we have help come in for him 3x a week, 4 hours each time, but can't afford much more. We are over the edge for financial free help, we gotta pay for in-home or nursing home help, and because of his illness (he can fall and we have to call 911 to pick him up) I do not think I can stay away from him for any length of time.
My wife had hip replacement in 2019. You will definitely need help. Before you have the operation, make you know where you can get a wheelchair, just in case. We needed one and they were not available easily.
Not discourage you, but the doctors told us, "you will walk the first day". She did, but that was just the beginning. I think it was a selling point.

Old 06-07-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Not discourage you, but the doctors told us, "you will walk the first day". She did, but that was just the beginning. I think it was a selling point.
Why would they need to "sell" it? By the time most people choose to schedule this major elective procedure they've been miserable for quite a while and have tried other less invasive methods to find relief. The surgeon was technically correct...the patient DID in fact walk the first day after surgery. Maybe not for the reasons or in the manner uninformed people expect (no trotting down the sidewalk for half a mile), but they did walk.

FWIW, I had a hip replacement in my 40s...quite early. Believe me, I had gone through PT, steroid injections, all sorts of non-invasive options before replacing the hip. By the time it arrived, surgery was a huge relief. I was perfectly capable of walking the day after surgery but due to the type of implant/attachment/anchoring technique they used, needed to be non-weightbearing for 6 weeks. My surgeon had all his joint replacement patients attend orientations before surgery to make sure they knew what to expect and to be prepared for their recovery period. BTW, I lived alone at the time but wouldn't have needed daily or live in assistance. Of course I was dependent on crutches for that 6 weeks, but as this was a planned, elective procedure I had already made modifications to furniture, staged my kitchen so meals would be simple, bought a shower bench, toilet riser and several other assistance gadgets, and arranged to work from home in advance. A neighbor came a couple of times to help with a household chore or a visit. That was over 20 years ago. No regrets. It doesn't need to be stated that YMMV.

Old 06-07-2022, 06:30 PM

Just for information, when I last saw my doctor, the surgeon, he finally told me in no uncertain words that I would experience a lot of pain after the operation. And pain meds like opioids would only be available for 3 days since the govt put a restriction on that type of thing. (I think he was a little upset that day, lol...) I was willing to continue but something happened with him that is driving me to see another surgeon. I won't go into detail. He told me quite vociferously that not only would I experience a lot of pain but that I would need most likely to be in a rehab place for weeks. Oh well, I guess he might have been out of sorts that day -- I'm not disputing him, but yes, I have seen many people say they were up and running almost right away. That would be nice if it happens in my case. Anyway -- as the saying goes -- have a good one! (Still coping and hoping thinking to go ahead with the operation so I can experience less pain in the 'long run,' pun almost intended.)

Old 06-07-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Why would they need to "sell" it? By the time most people choose to schedule this major elective procedure they've been miserable for quite a while and have tried other less invasive methods to find relief. The surgeon was technically correct...the patient DID in fact walk the first day after surgery. Maybe not for the reasons or in the manner uninformed people expect (no trotting down the sidewalk for half a mile), but they did walk.

FWIW, I had a hip replacement in my 40s...quite early. Believe me, I had gone through PT, steroid injections, all sorts of non-invasive options before replacing the hip. By the time it arrived, surgery was a huge relief. I was perfectly capable of walking the day after surgery but due to the type of implant/attachment/anchoring technique they used, needed to be non-weightbearing for 6 weeks. My surgeon had all his joint replacement patients attend orientations before surgery to make sure they knew what to expect and to be prepared for their recovery period. BTW, I lived alone at the time but wouldn't have needed daily or live in assistance. Of course I was dependent on crutches for that 6 weeks, but as this was a planned, elective procedure I had already made modifications to furniture, staged my kitchen so meals would be simple, bought a shower bench, toilet riser and several other assistance gadgets, and arranged to work from home in advance. A neighbor came a couple of times to help with a household chore or a visit. That was over 20 years ago. No regrets. It doesn't need to be stated that YMMV.
Glad you're doing so well. I hope I can say how wonderful I'm doing eventually. :-) Looking forward...

Old 06-07-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
My wife had hip replacement in 2019. You will definitely need help. Before you have the operation, make you know where you can get a wheelchair, just in case. We needed one and they were not available easily.
Actually I bought a motorized chair used for $100 recently. It's not the greatest, the apartment is small I don't use it too much and it bangs against the doors but! I use it anyway sometimes when I am in severe pain. Hope things are going well with you both. Thanks. As I said in the previous post, I saw the doctor (again) before the scheduled operation. But something happened between me and him that caused a rupture unexpectedly in our relationship. (Oh well...) And so soon I will be looking for another doctor. I think in a way it was a good thing that he is not going to do surgery on me, although I think he probably is a good surgeon. Thanks for your reply, and take care, you and your wife.

Old 06-08-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Just for information, when I last saw my doctor, the surgeon, he finally told me in no uncertain words that I would experience a lot of pain after the operation. And pain meds like opioids would only be available for 3 days since the govt put a restriction on that type of thing. (I think he was a little upset that day, lol...) I was willing to continue but something happened with him that is driving me to see another surgeon. I won't go into detail. He told me quite vociferously that not only would I experience a lot of pain but that I would need most likely to be in a rehab place for weeks. Oh well, I guess he might have been out of sorts that day -- I'm not disputing him, but yes, I have seen many people say they were up and running almost right away. That would be nice if it happens in my case. Anyway -- as the saying goes -- have a good one! (Still coping and hoping thinking to go ahead with the operation so I can experience less pain in the 'long run,' pun almost intended.)
Obviously the underlying reason for surgery and specific procedure planned to address it will influence how much post-op pain to expect. Without knowing the details of your procedure it would be difficult to comment. Mine was a straightforward THR. I received a spinal block for the procedure and a time-release morphine derivative over the subsequent 24 hours. The medication caused more trouble (nausea) than the pain it was supposed to prevent. Didn't take anything for pain after that 24 hours and was up crutching up and down the hall the next morning, then discharged the next day. The incision hurt a little but it didn't bother me enough to do anything about. Of course, there's a big caveat here...I was not weight bearing for the next 6 weeks so that obviously affected how much pain would be expected. May be a different matter for a patient who IS supposed to bear weight right away. When I got rid of the crutches and bore weight again, the only pain I felt was an mild femur ache after walking for a while. It was certainly bearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness