Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
I like to go to bed early and wake up early 8 33.33%
I like to go to bed early and sleep in 5 20.83%
I like to go to bed late and then sleep in 10 41.67%
I like to go to bed as late as possible and wake up super early every day 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 03:15 PM

408 posts, read 291,364 times

Advertisements

Answer in poll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 03:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
On nights before work I'm in bed by 9pm and get up at 4am, work hours 6am-3pm with a 40 minute commute MWF, work from home the Tue and Thu. On Friday and Saturday nights I'll stay up to 10-10:30pm and usually wake up at 5:30-6am. I never sleep more than about 7 hours. The morning is the best time of day, it's a shame to waste it sleeping.

Old 04-21-2022, 05:27 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times
I'm usually in bed by 7:30pm or earlier and am up at 4am. I have interests that require my attention at 5am CST.

Old 04-22-2022, 02:51 AM

700 posts, read 447,382 times
This is a Philosophy question?

Old 04-23-2022, 02:34 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
If you have a lifestyle that dictates when and how long you get to sleep each night, you're probably not indulging your preference are you? If you were completely in charge of your day to day life and didn't have to consider anything or anyone other than yourself, maybe the question would be worth asking.

Anyway, guess I'll bite...now that I am retired and can dictate my day to day life more, I prefer to sleep until I wake up, not be woken up by a clock. Worrying about wasting/losing valuable hours out of life doesn't play into it at all. I'm pretty certain that would be most people's preference. How many hours that ends up being varies depending on how tired (physically or mentally) I happen to be. One night I might hit the sack early and sleep for 8 hours. The next I might stay up later reading or watching a movie so it might end up being 5 or 4 if I am energized by some project that's waiting for me. On and on. Define "early". Define "late". Its subjective.

Can't answer your little poll OP. IMHO, kind of pointless to ask. Still some people seem to insist on bragging about how much sleep they do or don't "need" and how productive their lives are because of it. Why? Are they expecting some entity to hand them a trophy on their last day on earth? Really?

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-23-2022 at 02:44 PM..

Old 04-23-2022, 03:08 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,463,474 times
Sleep studies are not pointless.
And yes to gather an idea of average sleep based on life style habits, or age, or health does have a point.

As someone not looking for a trophy, I will graciously abide with a factual answer.

Rest of 7-9 hrs. It is how my cycle runs.

Old 04-23-2022, 04:40 PM

133 posts, read 95,932 times
Parnassia makes some interesting points.

One of the problems with western cultures at least, is that many of us are controlled by school hours for a large slab of our early lives with a need to stay awake and alert from the time we leave home and then arrive back most weekdays. So we develop a need to control our sleep hours to fit in with those hours. And this is continued into our working years.

The OP, of course has asked us the question of what hours most of us do budget for sleep. I know that even when I was in my 20s, if I had less than 9 hours a night, I had trouble concentrating on lectures during my university years. Now that I'm into my 10th decade, I tend to go to bed at about 9.30 PM and wake up at daylight without an alarm at 5.00 or 6.00 AM. But then, if I'm home for the day, I'll often have an extra hour or more nap in the afternoon.

I scrap old air conditioners a couple of days a week -- for spare parts and for scrap metal -- leaving home about 8.00 AM and getting home about 3.30 PM. But curiously, I don't have a nap on those days.

The question that crosses my mind as I'm typing this, is "What hours did hunter/gatherers sleep?" They didn't have to go to school or to regular daily work.

In an attempt to answer my own question, I can only extrapolate my own experience as a youth from 11 to 16 years when I used to round up a few mates and go camping every time there were school holidays. Certainly we sat around a camp fire and talked before finally entering the tent for the night, but then talked on again till we finally dozed off before waking -- usually at dawn. Naturally it was not uncommon to 'crash' on a blanket during the day for indefinite periods.

So like Parnassia, I can't really fill in the poll, as is. All I can say is that I have the impression that I sleep a bit more than most other people I know.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:46 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
If you have a lifestyle that dictates when and how long you get to sleep each night, you're probably not indulging your preference are you? If you were completely in charge of your day to day life and didn't have to consider anything or anyone other than yourself, maybe the question would be worth asking.

Anyway, guess I'll bite...now that I am retired and can dictate my day to day life more, I prefer to sleep until I wake up, not be woken up by a clock. Worrying about wasting/losing valuable hours out of life doesn't play into it at all. I'm pretty certain that would be most people's preference. How many hours that ends up being varies depending on how tired (physically or mentally) I happen to be. One night I might hit the sack early and sleep for 8 hours. The next I might stay up later reading or watching a movie so it might end up being 5 or 4 if I am energized by some project that's waiting for me. On and on. Define "early". Define "late". Its subjective.

Can't answer your little poll OP. IMHO, kind of pointless to ask. Still some people seem to insist on bragging about how much sleep they do or don't "need" and how productive their lives are because of it. Why? Are they expecting some entity to hand them a trophy on their last day on earth? Really?
^^^ What Parnassia said.

I have lots of friends who seem to think that the less they sleep (or SAY they sleep ), somehow the more "credit" they deserve. These are people who say (i.e., BRAG), "I get only 4 hours of sleep a night!" I always wonder (but don't SAY), "Really? If I got only 4 hours of sleep per night for more than a couple of nights, I could not function in the way I NEED to function."

But of course, if I ADMITTED that, I'd be saying ... what ... I'm not a "real" adult?

Seriously: when did it become a badge of honor to declare how little sleep you can get by on?

OP, your poll is useless for someone like me. I typically sleep 7-8 hours per night, but 7 hours is really not enough for me and I will be tired all day. I cannot take naps -- when I have tried, my "nap" lasts 3-4 hours, which makes it pretty useless AND makes it harder for me to get to sleep at a normal hour THAT NIGHT -- so I stopped any thought of naps literally DECADES ago. (I DO know some people who can nap for 20-30 minutes, and it seems to work fine for them -- but I would likely not even get to SLEEP within 20 minutes, so that would never work for me. C'est la vie.)

I have literally 2 more days of work this year (this academic year) when I MUST get up at a certain (very early) time, then I will have close to 4 months where my sleep schedule will be my own, and it will likely be very odd. I have had a weird sleep disorder since I was in my teens (if not earlier) -- my internal clock is set for about 25.5 hours instead of 24, so when left to my own devices (i.e., my own SCHEDULE), my "days" will be 25.5 hours and so I will go in and out of sync with the world. It's hard on relationships, of course, but oh well, other things are just as important ... like waking up when you feel RESTED, not when your alarm jerks you out of sleep in the most unpleasant way imaginable.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:55 PM

110 posts, read 83,824 times
6 to 7 hours is my sweet spot. Anything less than 5 and I will not be in a good state the next day. Interestingly, if I get over 8 hours..I still feel groggy. Too much sleep can be just as bad because too much REM overstimulates the brain..so I try to avoid sleeping in.

Old 04-23-2022, 07:02 PM

9,467 posts, read 5,233,195 times
didn't answer the poll because my patterns shift.
I prefer to get to bed about 10 and be up by 6:30....but time to bed varies quite a bit. 7-8 hrs of sleep is what my body seems to require.
If I am reading a good book, I will stay up past midnight reading, sometimes later.
Today we had a nice walk with the dog in the sun and fresh air. We all came home and took an hour nap (dog included )
I've learned to appreciate naps.
Since I've retired, I've slept alot more than I ever did during my working life but I don't feel any adverse effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness