Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2022, 07:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I just don't get people saying they "wiped out" (surfing term - when they just tripped and/or fell.
Well, there's falling and then there is wiping out. LOL

wipeout

noun
wipe·​out ˈwīp-ˌau̇t
: the act or an instance of wiping out : complete or utter destruction

: a fall or crash caused usually by losing control
: a total or decisive defeat :

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wipeout
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Because that's what is feels like, a total wipe out!!

How are you feeling Kathryn? Haven't read back.
OK so less than a week after I WIPED OUT and broke my left humerus, which was not humorous, I went to the dermatologist for an appt I already had, and was diagnosed with melanoma. Not fun. Then I came home from the doctor and my fourteen year old dog was sick as could be and the next day I had to put him down, which was also definitely not fun. At that point I was a bit emotionally fragile but the good thing is that my kids rose to the occasion. Still feeling a bit wobbly emotionally and sick to death of having the pain of a broken arm but things could be worse, I guess.

Old 09-14-2022, 08:19 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK so less than a week after I WIPED OUT and broke my left humerus, which was not humorous, I went to the dermatologist for an appt I already had, and was diagnosed with melanoma. Not fun. Then I came home from the doctor and my fourteen year old dog was sick as could be and the next day I had to put him down, which was also definitely not fun. At that point I was a bit emotionally fragile but the good thing is that my kids rose to the occasion. Still feeling a bit wobbly emotionally and sick to death of having the pain of a broken arm but things could be worse, I guess.
KA, sorry to hear about all the challenges you've had over the past week. Wishes for quick healing and health to you.

Old 09-14-2022, 08:45 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Kathryn, I'm so sorry to hear this, I can imagine feeling frazzled and emotionally fragile is an understatement at this point.

You know it was a kindness to your old dog friend to end his suffering, though it's emotionally hard to do that, hugs and kudoes to you for doing this at an otherwise awful time. I just have to ask, you ARE getting that melanoma taken care of, as a priority, aren't you? Your arm, too, but a broken arm won't kill you like a melanoma might if allowed to spread.

So glad your kids are gathering around to help, and for moral support. Hugs to you, ((((Kathryn)))))

Old 09-14-2022, 10:53 AM

11,067 posts, read 6,887,781 times
Oh dear. Hope you're doing a little better now. That's A LOT to deal with. So sorry about the wipeout and your doggo. May he RIP and the melanoma turn out to be benign.

Old 09-14-2022, 11:02 AM

7,118 posts, read 4,540,768 times
Be sure and have someone check your back twice a year for suspicious spots. Both my mom and grandpa had melanoma and other types of skin cancer for 40 years. Once I moved away and couldn’t check my mom’s back the doctor had her come in twice a year. People can’t see their back and they occur there sometimes. I and my siblings go once a year for a full body check because of the history. I am so sorry about your beloved fur baby. You have had so much bad luck. Hugs).

Old 09-14-2022, 01:29 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,254,071 times
Quote:

Oh no Kathryn. I'm so sorry for the loss of your doggie. So, the melanoma means you need to be hypervigilant about checking yourself going forward...

I guess this is your 3 things (and it's over). Fingers crossed.

Old 09-14-2022, 04:33 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Guess you have to experience being tall to understand its advantages and realize there are disadvantages too. I've always been more or less " height challenged" at 5'3" ( and now in my old age shrinking every year) so I've always hoped maybe in my next life I will be TALL. As in 5'8" or more.
And I would hope, if female in the next life, that I get to experience what it's like to be a normal size woman.

I always wished I could just have a week to feel what that was like.

Old 09-14-2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Kathryn, I'm so sorry to hear this, I can imagine feeling frazzled and emotionally fragile is an understatement at this point.

You know it was a kindness to your old dog friend to end his suffering, though it's emotionally hard to do that, hugs and kudoes to you for doing this at an otherwise awful time. I just have to ask, you ARE getting that melanoma taken care of, as a priority, aren't you? Your arm, too, but a broken arm won't kill you like a melanoma might if allowed to spread.

So glad your kids are gathering around to help, and for moral support. Hugs to you, ((((Kathryn)))))
Yes, I am getting the melanoma taken care of as quickly as possible. I am working with the doctor now to figure out a date in the next coupla weeks to get it taken off. The issue is that it's on my left shoulder - and my left arm is the one that's broken. Also, I AM going to see my daughter in Virginia October 11-18 and I have already bought the ticket and arranged pet care so there's all that. Pretty sure she can do it before I leave but I want to be sure she doesn't make the broken arm worse. Considering the bruising on the arm, it would be hard to miss but I am not in la la land when it comes to how they tend to sling you around when you're under. Hopefully she can do this in an office under local anesthesia. Man, I hope so.

Old 09-14-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Be sure and have someone check your back twice a year for suspicious spots. Both my mom and grandpa had melanoma and other types of skin cancer for 40 years. Once I moved away and couldn’t check my mom’s back the doctor had her come in twice a year. People can’t see their back and they occur there sometimes. I and my siblings go once a year for a full body check because of the history. I am so sorry about your beloved fur baby. You have had so much bad luck. Hugs).
Thank you so much, Terry! I admit it - I do feel sort of bogged down and pitiful right about now. I mean, my arm hurts, my shoulder already hurts (and will hurt worse) and most of all, my heart hurts for my sweet doggie.

I miss him every single day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness