Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 09:27 AM

3,527 posts, read 6,526,006 times

Advertisements

I recently had a relative admitted to a hospital. The rules are, each patient is only allowed one visitor per day, and only for two hours. We were shocked by this as we wanted to see him together. This is all because of COVID.

We also thought one of us could visit for an hour and another for an hour. That's not allowed either. Also only certain hours are open like 8-8.

This was all difficult as his condition was serious and we wanted to sit with him more. Can you imagine if you were dying and had four kids and you wanted all your kids with you?? Only one would be allowed. Do all hospitals have rules like this?

We later moved him to a nursing home. They have far fewer rules. It's because Covid has decreased. I know someone who was in a hospital at the worst point of Covid. No visitors were allowed at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 09:57 AM

3,078 posts, read 1,542,888 times
I heard of that during covid, but even last year when a relative had open heart surgery at a major hospital there wasnt any rules like that. One or two relatives, like wife and daughter could stay for hours. Depends on the place I guess. Hope hes better.

Old 10-08-2022, 11:17 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
I was hospitalized a couple months ago for surgery, was a 3 day post- surgery stay. I had a private room ( all private rooms there), and we were allowed two visitors, no masks required for patients or visitors in the room. The visitors were required to wear masks when they left the room and personnel were wearing masks. I think the visiting hours went from 7 AM to 8 PM, something like that.

Old 10-08-2022, 01:49 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Hospital rules vary. I've never been to any hospital that had unlimited visiting hours. Did you ever ask why the visitation policy for your relative was so restricted?

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-08-2022 at 01:57 PM..

Old 10-08-2022, 07:53 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,339,567 times
Totally varies one system to another

Mercy system dropped masks this week, if you want them off in a hospital full of sick people

Old 10-08-2022, 08:53 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,401,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I recently had a relative admitted to a hospital. The rules are, each patient is only allowed one visitor per day, and only for two hours. We were shocked by this as we wanted to see him together. This is all because of COVID.

We also thought one of us could visit for an hour and another for an hour. That's not allowed either. Also only certain hours are open like 8-8.

This was all difficult as his condition was serious and we wanted to sit with him more. Can you imagine if you were dying and had four kids and you wanted all your kids with you?? Only one would be allowed. Do all hospitals have rules like this?

We later moved him to a nursing home. They have far fewer rules. It's because Covid has decreased. I know someone who was in a hospital at the worst point of Covid. No visitors were allowed at all.
Yes, hospital visiting rules are strict. It's because they're trying to keep people who are healthy, from getting sick, and they're trying to keep sick people from getting worse - and hopefully helping them get better.

Can you imagine if you brought your four kids into the hospital, and one of them had the flu, and infected 10 people who were recovering from their own sickness?

Personally, I'd be fine if ALL visitors in ALL hospitals were required to wear masks in all areas of the hospital except in private patient rooms.

Old 10-09-2022, 12:39 AM

44,623 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Hospital visiting rules are strict...

For your safety, for the patients safety and for the hospital's doctors nurses and staff's safety.

Old 10-09-2022, 12:41 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post

Since COVID really isn't a thing right now, their visitation is ridiculous, one visitor per day. Glad your relative made it out of there to go to a nursing home with less strict rules.

Personally, I'd be ok with mask rules while visiting. I may actually want to wear one lol

Old 10-09-2022, 08:37 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
As someone who has been hospitalized, the endless stream of visitors can be so tiring. I got so little sleep in the hospital. It's such a noisy place and staff are in and out of the room all day and night long. Finally fell asleep after 130 am. At 5am they were waking me up for a blood draw. People need rest. They're in the hospital because they're sick. Hours and hours of visitors isn't what they need especially since no one knows what germs they're carrying around.

Old 10-09-2022, 09:49 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
I've also spent some time as an in-hospital patient, with roommates.
One hospital had rules that said only 2 visitors over the age of 14 per patient, 8am-8pm.
Sadly, these weren't enforced. There were small children yelling and running up and down the corridors at 10 pm. My roommates would have 4-5 visitors at a time, taking my chair and making a trip to the bathroom an obstacle course.

How can anyone recover with so much chaos and so little sleep?

Rules are developed because people have no sense. They'll do whatever they want, with no concern for their own health and safety, much less the health or comfort of strangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness