Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 06:45 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

Been in the hospital for a couple weeks for various issues and one of the meds prescribed is gabapentin. It not only does ZERO for me but has given me severe edema in my legs which is a real problem as I am wearing a splint after knee surgery. It appears that this is an anti seizure drug, being given to me for "nerve pain." I am not interested, this stuff is crap and I wish they had told me the whole story about it. Anyone here have experience with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 08:19 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Been in the hospital for a couple weeks for various issues and one of the meds prescribed is gabapentin. It not only does ZERO for me but has given me severe edema in my legs which is a real problem as I am wearing a splint after knee surgery. It appears that this is an anti seizure drug, being given to me for "nerve pain." I am not interested, this stuff is crap and I wish they had told me the whole story about it. Anyone here have experience with it?

Below, link from a thread from a few months ago on it. It's prescribed way too much IMO. I can't take it due to side effects, feeling like acid was running through a vein in my left leg. It's also a memory killer.

Has anyone tried gabapentin for chronic pain?

Old 10-28-2022, 09:46 PM

310 posts, read 322,896 times
I tried it for my peripheral neuropathy. It was horrible. I was so spaced out could not function. I take Lyrica which is the same type of drug, but I can handle it much better.

Old 10-29-2022, 02:02 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
I tried it for my peripheral neuropathy. It was horrible. I was so spaced out could not function. I take Lyrica which is the same type of drug, but I can handle it much better.

I believe Lyrica is the brand, gabapentin is the generic. Back when I took it it was Lyrica, no generic yet. I also took brand neurontin which is a similar med except does a number on memory

Old 10-29-2022, 06:13 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Below, link from a thread from a few months ago on it. It's prescribed way too much IMO. I can't take it due to side effects, feeling like acid was running through a vein in my left leg. It's also a memory killer.

Has anyone tried gabapentin for chronic pain?
Per the above, there are several threads on this forum about gabapentin, so you may want to read the one above and do a search for additional ones.

And yes, gabapentin was initially developed as an anti seizure medication, but was found to be helpful in controlling nerve pain, and is now used quite regularly for nerve pain (perhaps too much, as Roselvr alludes to).

I took 300 mg twice a day for several months to help control pain from a compressed nerve in my lumbar spine. It helped a little bit. I had no side effects or issues.

Old 10-29-2022, 06:34 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,900,543 times
I'm taking it now, seems to help some my back issue and pain in my left leg. I am supposed to take 4 300mg a day. I started taking two in the morning together and it really made me a little woozy so I spread it out and that solved the issue.
No other issues.
Just as a note, Lyrica and Gabapentin are two different drugs, similar but totally different.

Old 10-29-2022, 08:16 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,244 times
It helps me for restless leg syndrome. No side effects, thankfully.

Old 10-29-2022, 08:32 AM

361 posts, read 258,659 times
I was prescribed it decades ago for pinched nerves in my spine. No side effects except for being totally spaced out. I think that's the desired effect - distraction from nerve pain by flooding your brain with a total "buzzing". Sadly, I think that's the state of American spine care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

Old 10-29-2022, 08:43 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,213,841 times
I was prescribed this medication on Wednesday relating to some nerve issues in hand (carpel tunnel syndrome). While it has not made the pain and hypersensitivity go away, I have been able to get 8+ hours of sleep last 3 nights after a period of 2 months when I was not able to do that. And, I am taking 300 mg only so far. I am really relieved to have something that helps me get through the days until the issue goes away or i have the surgery to address it. So, just because it does not suit a condition or patient doesn’t make the medication crap.

Old 10-29-2022, 08:47 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
I have spinal stenosis, was prescribed 300 mg. It has eased the pain in my back and I have had no side effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness