Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2023, 04:44 PM

10,713 posts, read 5,655,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
To me the Mc Chow is the worst, they usually put High Fructose Corn Syrup in everything they make, I have quit eating at the Golden Arches for decades and I don't miss it.

The Chinese and Pizza options are not as standardized. High quality versions of either can be quite good and healthy. But the typical chain fast food pizza is not all that good. You guys in the Northeast have some excellent pizza options that are not usually found in the rest of the country.
While HFCS is certainly present in a number of McD’s menu items, there’s none in McNuggets nor French fries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2023, 04:52 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,342,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What? you're kidding. People eat plain cheese pies all the time! And yes, it can be fast food if you're on the go. Run in, get a slice to go, have it on the passenger seat while you drive. Great car food.

You can keep the pepperoni. My favorite topping is mushrooms, although my ex used to like onions on pizza, which is surprisingly tasty.

My friend and I will occasionally get a Friday night pie with spinach, artichokes, mushrooms, and roasted red pepper. We both end up with leftovers.
Peppers & onions on pizza is AMAZING.....

Old 01-08-2023, 04:54 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,342,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
To me the Mc Chow is the worst, they usually put High Fructose Corn Syrup in everything they make, I have quit eating at the Golden Arches for decades and I don't miss it.

The Chinese and Pizza options are not as standardized. High quality versions of either can be quite good and healthy. But the typical chain fast food pizza is not all that good. You guys in the Northeast have some excellent pizza options that are not usually found in the rest of the country.
I think that most of the people who rank pizza as least healthy obviously are eating chain pie. We have some amazing pizza here and it's fresh. and yes we can eat it plain or veggie toppings...

Old 01-09-2023, 09:26 AM

52 posts, read 40,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I would rank the health of a single meal far less on what was in the meal than where I had to go to get that meal. If the McD required a twenty minute drive into a heavily travelled area, the chances of a car accident would have to be figured in. If the Italian restaurant was run by the mob, I might feel more safe than at a Chinese restaurant in the middle of Methland. No mob restaurant is going to allow any violence near it - that is one of the ways they gained power.
What are the safety features of the car being driven to get that meal? Is the restaurant located in a region of the country that is more prone to natural disasters? What are the weather conditions on that particular day? Does the driver have a clean driving record? Are they driving during rush hour or on a busy holiday weekend with more traffic?

Shall I go on? I think it goes without saying that it is impossible to account for every variable...

Quote:
What your question does show is that you have been strongly influenced by third parties with agendas propped up by junk and pop science.

A celiac will find option one most healthy.
Someone with difficulties with meats will be most happy with option two.
A person in a rush to get a heart transplant might need the speed of the third option.
Fair enough. I did not offer any specifics about my state of health that could have influenced the answer. Perhaps it was a more nuanced question that I initially thought.

Quote:
What you are also doing in your "question" is the classic forced answer fallacy. The one most are familiar with is the one "When did you stop beating your wife?" It makes a presumption that could be true or false, but only allows answers within a limited subset of real answers. Please stop it. You are NOT the judge of what is healthy or unhealthy.
This may not have been clear from the way I phrased my original post, but it was never my intention to be the final arbiter of what is healthy or unhealthy, for everyone across the board. I eat, or have eaten, all three meals on that list. I was simply curious if one meal was objectively healthier than the rest, for an average person with no known health issues such as myself. Kind of like how a plate of steamed broccoli is generally considered to be healthier than deep fried oreos from the county fair (to use a more extreme example). Of course, there is always that minority of people with a broccoli allergy who might feel otherwise.

Quote:
If you want to ask (not tell) which of your options could cause problems as a steady diet, I might have a less confrontational response.
I certainly don't mind confrontation or differences of opinion, but your overreaction presumed bad faith on my part, when it was a carelessly vague generalization at best. I don't think I'll be asking any more questions -- that's enough City Data for me for today.

Last edited by csignorelli; 01-09-2023 at 10:44 AM..

Old 01-09-2023, 09:46 AM

846 posts, read 681,244 times
These foods aren't healthy or unhealthy in isolation. They need to be viewed in the context of your diet as a whole.

Don't judge the nutrition of foods by the names of the food. Judge them by calories and macronutrients (carbs/protein/fats) instead.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:48 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,657,476 times
It all depends on the quality of the ingredients, McDonald’s may not be healthy but it can be better than most take out Chinese places because their ingredients go through much more safety controls.

If any place used organic ingredients but cook it in dirty pans and reuse cooking bad oils, it is worst than eating processed foods not cooked using old oils.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Anything breaded along with deep fried is generally the worst. Modern wheat introduced into the food supply in the mid 1980's has destroyed the US healthcare system due to the obesity epidemic.

Calorically dense foods are easy to overeat. But they don't intrinsically make you fat.

If people measure or weigh their foods, or read nutrition labels, they won't overconsume calories.

If they don't track what they eat, they may overeat. But this is not the fault of the food. This is just the fault of people for not knowing what they put in their body.

There needs to be more nuanced approach than vilifying specific types of food.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Cool story. But my point about carbs being worse than fat is still true.
This is not true. There are plenty of athletes, bodybuilders and models that eat carbs. They are a good source of energy, provided you aren't eating too much of them.

You need a minimum of ~50-60g of fat and ~50-150+g of protein (depending on your goals). But aside from that, whereever you spend the rest of your calories is purely up to preference.

You can have a diet of all 3 macronutrients. It's pointless to discuss which macronutrient is the worst for you, when you can eat all 3 and be perfectly healthy.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csignorelli View Post
It seems like the general consensus so far is that, while all unhealthy, pizza is the best of the three, followed by fried rice and then the McChicken in last place.

What metrics are we using to define how healthy these are. People here are throwing around vague terms like "healthy" and "unhealthy" yet not having any specific measurable criteria.

Old 01-09-2023, 11:12 AM

10,713 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
This is not true. There are plenty of athletes, bodybuilders and models that eat carbs. They are a good source of energy, provided you aren't eating too much of them.

You need a minimum of ~50-60g of fat and ~50-150+g of protein (depending on your goals). But aside from that, whereever you spend the rest of your calories is purely up to preference.

You can have a diet of all 3 macronutrients. It's pointless to discuss which macronutrient is the worst for you, when you can eat all 3 and be perfectly healthy.
It is true. That some people eat carbs and don’t get fat doesn’t render my position untrue.

But hey, it’s cute that you disagree with the science. Doesn’t bother me at all. Eat whatever you want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness