Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 05:52 PM

547 posts, read 326,792 times

Advertisements

https://covid19.nih.gov/news-and-sto...id-19-severity

A healthy microbiome contains a diverse variety of microbes (bacteria, fungi, parasites, and viruses), which keeps our immune system working well. Changes to its diversity can make us sick. Previous research has found that SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, reduces the diversity of bacteria in the gut microbiome of people with the disease. Researchers wanted to know whether the variety of microbes present can predict how sick someone with COVID-19 may become.
In a study supported by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) and the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), researchers looked at gut microbiomes in people with different severities of COVID-19. They found that the microbiome was less diverse in people with severe COVID-19 than in people who were less sick. The difference is significant enough that researchers can predict who has severe disease based on the microbes in their gut microbiome.

more at link...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 08:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Sorry but I don't call ANY shot that has to be readministered at least once a year any sort of "vaccine," including the infamous "flu shots."

Old 09-06-2023, 10:47 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sorry but I don't call ANY shot that has to be readministered at least once a year any sort of "vaccine," including the infamous "flu shots."
The flu vaccine has to be reformulated depending on what viruses are predicted to be most common in each season. That does not mean it is not a vaccine.

It has become obvious that the evolution of the covid virus generates the need for new vaccines, too. They are still vaccines.

Old 09-06-2023, 01:10 PM

1,147 posts, read 861,057 times
Quote:
Please explain belief based on basic biology principles or are your objections based on mysticism and metaphysical principles. If they are based on mysticism then no need to further explain them. I get the picture.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The flu vaccine has to be reformulated depending on what viruses are predicted to be most common in each season. That does not mean it is not a vaccine.

It has become obvious that the evolution of the covid virus generates the need for new vaccines, too. They are still vaccines.

I get what you're saying but I don't call the current shots "vaccines" because there are too many variants and clearly they don't work as vaccines. I believe they are formulated to work against a certain variant but there are many, many variants out there.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
Please explain belief based on basic biology principles or are your objections based on mysticism and metaphysical principles. If they are based on mysticism then no need to further explain them. I get the picture.
Sorry, no, I'm not going to take any more time to try to explain myself. My statement seems to be clear enough for most people to understand, and no, I didn't base anything on mysticism or metaphysical principles. I am not a particularly mystical or metaphysical person. And hey, I get a flu shot every single year. If I get it, I don't get any type of flu. If I don't get it, I catch the flu. So I take the shot. But no more COVID shots after three AND a case of COVID. Oh, and I had a headache that wouldn't respond to anything for four days after my last COVID shot. And I still got COVID. So no more.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:51 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,464,759 times
Quote:
I get what you're saying but I don't call the current shots "vaccines" because there are too many variants and clearly they don't work as vaccines. I believe they are formulated to work against a certain variant but there are many, many variants out there.
Coronavirus vaccines have been notoriously difficult to formulate because those viruses tend to mutate often. So what we have today is our best effort. And so far these vaccines do provide some, but not long lasting protection. It would be great if we could do better with a more perfect vaccine, but it turns out that the older vaccines so far still cover the new variants. Enough, so that for the elderly and those with medical risks are less apt to develop more serious disease, get hospitalized or die if up to date with the vaccines.

Old 09-07-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Coronavirus vaccines have been notoriously difficult to formulate because those viruses tend to mutate often. So what we have today is our best effort. And so far these vaccines do provide some, but not long lasting protection. It would be great if we could do better with a more perfect vaccine, but it turns out that the older vaccines so far still cover the new variants. Enough, so that for the elderly and those with medical risks are less apt to develop more serious disease, get hospitalized or die if up to date with the vaccines.
OK keep saying that.

Old 09-07-2023, 10:56 AM

1,147 posts, read 861,057 times
Quote:
Sorry, no, I'm not going to take any more time to try to explain myself. My statement seems to be clear enough for most people to understand, and no, I didn't base anything on mysticism or metaphysical principles. I am not a particularly mystical or metaphysical person. And hey, I get a flu shot every single year. If I get it, I don't get any type of flu. If I don't get it, I catch the flu. So I take the shot. But no more COVID shots after three AND a case of COVID. Oh, and I had a headache that wouldn't respond to anything for four days after my last COVID shot. And I still got COVID. So no more.
I understood what you wrote. I was asking for the basis of your logical statement. What is the evidence that your premise is based on.

If a vaccine has to be administered every year then it is not a vaccine.

A premise followed by a conclusion.

If one looks at the field of immunology the only principle that remotely applies is that vaccines are intended to illicit an immune response. There is no inherent requirement on what defines a vaccine in terms of longevity of search a response. It doesn't say it must last longer than one year for it to be a vaccine.

It even applies less because we are not talking about the same organism and the same vaccine every year.

It appears your conclusions and statements are experience based anecdotes. I caught it and I didn't die from it so it is harmless and I don't need a vaccine. You should have simply stated that in the first place rather than trying to invent your own definition of what a vaccine is.

Old 09-07-2023, 11:05 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
https://covid19.nih.gov/news-and-sto...id-19-severity

A healthy microbiome contains a diverse variety of microbes (bacteria, fungi, parasites, and viruses), which keeps our immune system working well. Changes to its diversity can make us sick. Previous research has found that SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, reduces the diversity of bacteria in the gut microbiome of people with the disease. Researchers wanted to know whether the variety of microbes present can predict how sick someone with COVID-19 may become.
In a study supported by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) and the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), researchers looked at gut microbiomes in people with different severities of COVID-19. They found that the microbiome was less diverse in people with severe COVID-19 than in people who were less sick. The difference is significant enough that researchers can predict who has severe disease based on the microbes in their gut microbiome.

more at link...
So our homemade fermented sauerkraut (probiotic superfood) can ward off COVID? Man I'm gonna main line some kraut juice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness