Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 03:15 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times

Advertisements

Thank you for those sending tips. Lots of calls from Dr. office today - they are going to see if they can get the double dosage and I can cut in half. We'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2023, 05:48 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I wondered about this years ago. What happens if I can't get my thyroid supplement?

This was after I spend some time subbing for a chiropractor and finding out how little medication is actually kept on hand. It has to be ordered frequently. What if there were an event that prevented or slowed transportation?

I asked the question at my pharmacy and the two young men behind the counter laughed. I'll bet they take that question a lot more seriously now than they did then.

So, no practical answer there. I researched and found out that much of the thyroid medicine is made from pig thyroid. So here we are in the middle of pork-producing land. I thought if worse ever came to worse I'd have to find out how to make that palatable and still functional.

Information says that the real deal has been used with success for over a hundred years.

Hope I never have to do that!

Old 01-27-2023, 06:29 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Thank you for those sending tips. Lots of calls from Dr. office today - they are going to see if they can get the double dosage and I can cut in half. We'll see.
Because Synthroid (or its generic) has such a long half-life there's no need to cut in half to take daily - you can just take the "double-dose" every other day and it'll even out just fine. In fact, you can take any combination of dosages and as long as it averages out you'll be fine - makes it much easier to fine-tune a dose if you need to be in between.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:07 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh no; well, that's a good reason. But wait, are you saying then that the generic levothyroxine is a different composition than Synthroid?

ETA: I see you mentioned the allergy in the first post. I apologize for missing that. Also, to answer my own question above, "Active" ingredients are the same, so I suppose the inactive/filler ingredients are what your body reacts to.

What you mean when you say the Synthroid "went to a high tier"? Cost-wise?

On their site, I see they have a program to get it for $25 a month, but someone else posted something less expensive.

https://www.synthroid.com/support/sy...livers-program

I'm allergic to the inactive/ filler ingredients in generics. It stinks.

Before COVID, my pharmacy filled one of my meds with the generic but did not tell me. I took one pill which made me very sick. I didn't know that they made the generic again. It was out in 2005 but they stopped making it. My dad had the same reaction as me back then.

I took the bottle back to my doctor to have them destroy the pills, give me a new prescription, told the pharmacy I needed the brand, told him what happened with the generic.

He said he's surprised I had a reaction because it was made by the same manufacturer as the brand and that the brand and generic bottles were made on the same line, they had the same lot number. I never looked into what they use because my insurance has not forced me to use the generic of this yet.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:24 PM

61,715 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
I'm allergic to the inactive/ filler ingredients in generics.
Did you ever found out which one? Fillers are pretty much in all medications and supplements. I would want to know which substance makes me sick, to avoid it in the future.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:29 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Did you ever found out which one? Fillers are pretty much in all medications and supplements. I would want to know which substance makes me sick, to avoid it in the future.

No, I want to be tested but haven't found a doctor to do it.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:33 PM

61,715 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You and OP might want to read this:
https://www.goodrx.com/levothyroxine...ne-this-is-why

https://www.restartmed.com/the-50-mc...dication-hack/

Old 01-28-2023, 12:43 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I wondered about this years ago. What happens if I can't get my thyroid supplement?

This was after I spend some time subbing for a chiropractor and finding out how little medication is actually kept on hand. It has to be ordered frequently. What if there were an event that prevented or slowed transportation?

I asked the question at my pharmacy and the two young men behind the counter laughed. I'll bet they take that question a lot more seriously now than they did then.

So, no practical answer there. I researched and found out that much of the thyroid medicine is made from pig thyroid. So here we are in the middle of pork-producing land. I thought if worse ever came to worse I'd have to find out how to make that palatable and still functional.

Information says that the real deal has been used with success for over a hundred years.

Hope I never have to do that!
I posted the process over on the Survival board here a few yrs ago...Just take the thyroid tissue from a pig or cow and dry it in the sun, then cut it into pieces and take daily...The problem is in "titrating" the right size piece to take to get your thryroid level in the right therapeutic range without the ability to do frequent blood tests as you're experimenting...AND, each new animal thryroid will be a little different dose than the last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Because Synthroid (or its generic) has such a long half-life there's no need to cut in half to take daily - you can just take the "double-dose" every other day and it'll even out just fine. In fact, you can take any combination of dosages and as long as it averages out you'll be fine - makes it much easier to fine-tune a dose if you need to be in between.
Doses are usually calculated to be spaced to keep the blood levels as steady as possible in the therapeutic range. When given intially, the blood level builds up according to the specific absorbtion & half life times to eventually give a steady state. Natural thyroxine secretion is diurnal, but with very little change over the course of the day-- so little that it can be ignored.

Our dosing should attempt to match the natural blood levels, so alternate day (or longer) dosing schedules for thyroxine is possible, it's less physiological, and should be reserved for making due only in a supply chain pinch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
a) "Allergy tests" are notoriosly inaccurate, and (2) "real" allergies involve activation of the immune system in response to a protein of some sort. Your intolerance is colloquially refered to as allergy, but it probably doesn't really involve an Ag-Ab cascade....Most filler in pills is stuff like talcum powder, cellulose, lactose and such, and by getting into your system via the GI tract (as opposed to an injection thru the skin) it's highly unlikely (tho not impossible) that those chemicals form a complex with a protein to form a recognizable antigen....My point is, "allergy tests" probably aren't going to find the problem.

It's true that many pts will experience different effects from different formulations of the same dose of drug, usually related to the different rates of absorbtion secondary to the fillers involved....They take advantage of that to give us "sustained release" pills, for instance.

Old 01-28-2023, 01:26 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Oh no; well, that's a good reason. But wait, are you saying then that the generic levothyroxine is a different composition than Synthroid?

ETA: I see you mentioned the allergy in the first post. I apologize for missing that. Also, to answer my own question above, "Active" ingredients are the same, so I suppose the inactive/filler ingredients are what your body reacts to.

What you mean when you say the Synthroid "went to a high tier"? Cost-wise?

On their site, I see they have a program to get it for $25 a month, but someone else posted something less expensive.

https://www.synthroid.com/support/sy...livers-program
This is the link I use to receive my synthroid for $25/month directly from the manufacturer. I consider this price reasonable. (It costs about $12 more per month via my insurance mail order). My endocrinologist wants me on name brand as I’ve shown extreme sensitivity to small changes in my medicine on the past.

My health and well-being is worth paying more, but he would probably prescribe me the much cheaper Levothyroxine if I insisted on it. Whenever he changes my dose, he does usually give me two months of free sample synthroid boxes he gets from the rx reps.

Old 01-28-2023, 05:15 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
I know someone who can't take the generic brand because it causes her an upset stomach. So obviously the composition of generic drugs in general may slightly be different in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness