Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 11:28 AM

3,527 posts, read 6,527,342 times

Advertisements

When people in the US die from Fentanyl - is it usually because they had a pain problem and were legit users, but then they got addicted?

Or is it more, 18-year-old kids who took it for recreation?

Do people in general just take it for the same reasons they use other illegal recreational drugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 11:43 AM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Or, they are addicts who will take anything

Old 02-15-2023, 12:49 PM

129 posts, read 170,906 times
There has been a lot of cases involving marijuana being laced with Fentanyl going around. I suspect due to Fentanyls potency it makes marijuana more addictive than normal. That's really all it takes for a drug user to go from "I would never do Fentanyl" to "It's not so bad" and before they know it an overdose occurs. As mentioned above, if a drug user is addicted and it's around, there's a strong likelihood that they will at least try it. Suboxone is an opioid prescription drug that was used for heroin addicts. There use to be road signs all over the place promoting it. It wasn't before long that college kids started lacing joints and adding it on top of other things. Every drug has the potential to be abused. It just takes 1 person.

Old 02-15-2023, 12:59 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
When people in the US die from Fentanyl - is it usually because they had a pain problem and were legit users, but then they got addicted?

Or is it more, 18-year-old kids who took it for recreation?

Do people in general just take it for the same reasons they use other illegal recreational drugs?
I had an operation last week at Johns Hopkins. When I came out of the OR I was given several doses of Fentanyl for pain because I've had approx. 50 operations and have been on pain meds for a LONG time. Fentanyl really doesn't work on me at all, so it's not what everyone thinks it is, although deadly for others unfortunately

Last edited by seethelight; 02-15-2023 at 02:01 PM..

Old 02-15-2023, 01:41 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
For many, probably the same reason people will huff-paint/glue, smoke crack,
inject PCP.... they want to get high, good and high.

And yeah, most of the people doing so know there is quite a bit of risk involved.

Old 02-15-2023, 03:06 PM

10 posts, read 11,263 times
It seems alot of people on the internet are disconnected from reality

Rumors are rumors. There's no incentive in regard to lacing fentanyl with a drug like cannabis, meth, etc unless it's to replace heroin as a ingredient for the mixture.

People overdose on fentanyl because it's what's being supplied now and it's significantly cheaper for addicts.

So the heroin supply decreases which makes it harder to obtain and at the same time squeezes the prices upwards while fentanyl is now the new choice for the cartels to deliver. It makes sense for the cartels because who's going to tell them otherwise. They can produce it in a lab for significantly cheaper and they can produce it very quickly with less risk. They send tons and tons of it in every way they can. Some of them get confiscated by customs and law enforcement. If this was heroin like in the old days, it would be extremely costly but it's not anymore. It's fentanyl. So they stick to this business model because it's a win for the cartels bottom line in every way.

The addicts or users have no say in this and can't do anything about it because theyre addicts.

Some might say "why would the cartels keep shipping fentanyl if they know their customers will die more often due to the rate of overdoses it causes?"

It still doesn't matter to them. That's how much fentanyl positive affects their bottom line.

So to answer your question. It's already people who are addicted to opioids. How they become addicted is a story of its own. Some get addicted because of prescriptions. Some get addicted due to experimenting. Some get addicted because they met a lover who did it. It's alot of variables.

Old 02-15-2023, 03:09 PM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
The problem is that many if not most, Fentanyl ODs occur when the drug is taken unknowingly by the recreational drug user. The claim is that dealers clandestinely lace drugs like xanax or heroine to increase its addictive potential in order to increase sales...but given that after an OD, they get no more sales at all, and that the source of most illegal Fentanyl is a country committed to dominate us, one has to believe it may be more of a secret war agaiinst American youth. How else do you explain fentanyl disguised as kids' candy?

https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/f...yl-taste-like/

"While fentanyl is approved for prescription purposes, it is often manufactured illegally and sold on the black market. Not only is fentanyl sold on its own, but it’s being mixed with other drugs like heroin and Xanax. People may not know they’re buying something cut with fentanyl, and this can increase the risk of overdose and death."

Old 02-15-2023, 03:13 PM

574 posts, read 267,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The problem is that many if not most, Fentanyl ODs occur when the drug is taken unknowingly by the recreational drug user. The claim is that dealers clandestinely lace drugs like xanax or heroine to increase its addictive potential in order to increase sales...but given that after an OD, they get no more sales at all, and that the source of most illegal Fentanyl is a country committed to dominate us, one has to believe it may be more of a secret war agaiinst American youth.

https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/f...yl-taste-like/

"While fentanyl is approved for prescription purposes, it is often manufactured illegally and sold on the black market. Not only is fentanyl sold on its own, but it’s being mixed with other drugs like heroin and Xanax. People may not know they’re buying something cut with fentanyl, and this can increase the risk of overdose and death."
Fentanyl is more potent and addictive than heroin (diamorphine, patented by Bayer). Some people like doing Fentanyl with methamphetamines as it creates a unique high. However, since much of street fentanyl is made in someone's garage - there are not a lot of safeguards and impurities. Generally the impurities save your butt, because fentanyl in small doses shuts down your heart real fast.

If you ever had a surgery, you had fentanyl. In the operating room, it's not a big deal since they're breathing for you.

Old 02-15-2023, 03:49 PM

3,078 posts, read 1,543,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I had an operation last week at Johns Hopkins. When I came out of the OR I was given several doses of Fentanyl for pain because I've had approx. 50 operations and have been on pain meds for a LONG time. Fentanyl really doesn't work on me at all, so it's not what everyone thinks it is, although deadly for others unfortunately
They gave it to my horse, a fentanyl patch on her leg, after major surgery. I never knew they used it on animals!

Old 02-15-2023, 03:52 PM

574 posts, read 267,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
They gave it to my horse, a fentanyl patch on her leg, after major surgery. I never knew they used it on animals!
It was probably carfentanyl. It's even more potent than fentanyl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness