Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2023, 02:58 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,177,995 times

Advertisements

Where I live there has been a problem with squirrels for a couple of years. And to repel them the apartment complex crew has been using a combo of Fabuloso and clorox and have a machine spray that into the area above my ceiling 24/7!

They did this last year for several weeks. And now for the last two weeks. And I am just finding out that combination is very bad for your health and I have been breathing it in for all of that time!!!

Should I be worried? ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 04:43 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
If the attic space has a vapor barrier and is properly insulated the risk is probably low. The product labeling on Fabuloso warns not to combine it with other substances so the workers aren't using it as directed. I'd be taking that up the management chain. There are other ways to repel squirrels but this is a lazier one that doesn't involve sealing up the attic so they can't get in.

The nasty result of mixing is chlorine gas, but that dissipates in open air fairly quickly. Did you notice any respiratory issues the last time they did this? If not, you probably have an answer.

Old 02-28-2023, 04:44 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Should I be worried? ?
Yes. The chemical released is toxic; it can be lethal to your lungs and damaging to your eyes. Have you talked with your landlord?

Old 02-28-2023, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
If the attic space has a vapor barrier and is properly insulated the risk is probably low. The product labeling on Fabuloso warns not to combine it with other substances so the workers aren't using it as directed. I'd be taking that up the management chain. There are other ways to repel squirrels but this is a lazier one that doesn't involve sealing up the attic so they can't get in.

The nasty result of mixing is chlorine gas, but that dissipates in open air fairly quickly. Did you notice any respiratory issues the last time they did this? If not, you probably have an answer.
The smell is VERY intense, but i have not noticed any issues with my breathing or anything. At least so far. I think I coughed maybe twice only this whole time. He actually said the area above me is all purple now from spraying it so much.

It is on even now but pointing more away from my place at this point as he wants to get more of the building sprayed before sealing the hole. He keeps plugging up the holes they make. But then they make new ones. so he wants to keep spring to keep them away

Old 02-28-2023, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yes. The chemical released is toxic; it can be lethal to your lungs and damaging to your eyes. Have you talked with your landlord?
No not yet. I dont think he even knows what his people do most of the time

Old 02-28-2023, 07:49 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Mixing bleach with any type of acid produces chlorine gas.

https://giftedhouse.com/can-you-mix-...-and-fabuloso/

Old 02-28-2023, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Mixing bleach with any type of acid produces chlorine gas.

https://giftedhouse.com/can-you-mix-...-and-fabuloso/
I wish I had known a year ago that he was mixing this stuff. Too late now. I just have to hope no damage was done I guess.

Old 03-01-2023, 12:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Instead of wasting time posting on this website, you should really contact poison control at 1-800-222-1222 anywhere in the United States. When you call the number, you will reach a professional person, usually a medical professional in YOUR state who will be able to get you the correct answers.

Seems to me that the employer of these workers has not provided proper material data safety information to his employees and that is a DOL/OSHA violation.

Old 03-01-2023, 01:16 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Instead of wasting time posting on this website, you should really contact poison control at 1-800-222-1222 anywhere in the United States. When you call the number, you will reach a professional person, usually a medical professional in YOUR state who will be able to get you the correct answers.

Seems to me that the employer of these workers has not provided proper material data safety information to his employees and that is a DOL/OSHA violation.
THIS is the tack I'd take trying to put a stop to this practice. There are some rather strong teeth in workplace health and safety regs. Proving that you were personally impacted by the work may be a lot harder.

Old 03-01-2023, 01:56 PM

I spoke with him last night and he is going to use the fabulosa only from now on and not mix anything with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness