Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 08:26 AM

23 posts, read 37,642 times

Advertisements

Who are a nervous wreck when going to the dr. Cancel and reschedule. Want to get healthy but do the opposite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 09:03 AM

10,551 posts, read 7,747,342 times
It's quite unlikely a doctor would use language that in any way could be construed as a negative judgement. This would be highly unprofessional. If he or she is making an unspoken critical assessment, what difference does it make?

No, I don't worry in the least about such a concern when going to a health professional. Yes, they've had similar people.

In most cases the onus for doing the work necessary to become healthier is on the patient, not the doctor.

Old 03-15-2023, 11:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,557 posts, read 81,131,933 times
I have no worries about going to a doctor, and after beating cancer I now see 5 of them on a regular basis. None has ever said anything that could be considering "judging" me, even after my weight went up a few pounds. Now if you include the dentist, yes, very judgmental, and I hate going there. In fact, when doing oral surgery they will take my blood pressure first and it's always higher than normal. On a table in the waiting room there is a sign: "If you enjoyed your visit to the dentist today, please post a review on Google or Yelp." Whenever I see it I snicker inside, who has ever "enjoyed" a visit to the dentist for any reason? Well, I suppose after a billing error picking up a refund check.

Old 03-15-2023, 04:10 PM

14,941 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have no worries about going to a doctor, and after beating cancer I now see 5 of them on a regular basis. None has ever said anything that could be considering "judging" me, even after my weight went up a few pounds. Now if you include the dentist, yes, very judgmental, and I hate going there. In fact, when doing oral surgery they will take my blood pressure first and it's always higher than normal. On a table in the waiting room there is a sign: "If you enjoyed your visit to the dentist today, please post a review on Google or Yelp." Whenever I see it I snicker inside, who has ever "enjoyed" a visit to the dentist for any reason? Well, I suppose after a billing error picking up a refund check.
I always figure doctors are too busy and see too many people to have much time to judge me in the limited time they spend
with me. In fact I always assume they forget I exist as soon as they have finished their notes, orders, whatever in my records. They have too many patients and too few hours in the day to do otherwise.

My dentist doesn't seem judgmental in any way either. The dental office personnel there will check patients' blood pressure
before they do anything requiring novocaine, ie, fillings, tooth extractions, etc. My blood pressure is always high when they check it but they have told me they expect patients` blood pressure to be higher than normal- anticipating the dental work, but have a cutoff point where they will postpone the work if the patient's blood pressure is higher than that cutoff point.

Old 03-15-2023, 05:40 PM

23,273 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Don't think I've ever worried that any of my doctors judged me. Even if one did happen to hold a private negative opinion about something I do or don't do regarding my health, I'm probably already well aware why. If one recommended making some lifestyle change and I didn't follow through, that's a problem of my own making. So, it's up to me to solve it. Procrastinating or avoiding necessary appointments because you fear judgement isn't doing yourself any good. Running away from unpleasant things just makes fear of them worse. It gives them even more power over you. Being fearful is no way to live.

Old 03-15-2023, 11:02 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
It's quite unlikely a doctor would use language that in any way could be construed as a negative judgement. This would be highly unprofessional.
You haven't met "my" ENT in Arizona. The man is full of disparaging judgments. He had never met me before our one and only appointment. He won't have to worry I'll ever book an appt with him again.

I have many wonderful and caring doctors in California. I don't need this creep.

Old 03-16-2023, 02:03 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
I wouldn't worry about it...These days, they're too busy typing on their computer keyboards to pay any attention to anything you're saying.

Old 03-16-2023, 03:20 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,598,461 times
I once asked a doctor, "how many patients would you have if everyone took good care of themselves."

Old 03-16-2023, 03:30 AM

1,199 posts, read 660,180 times
I worry more about my husband's doctors judging me than my own lol. I rarely go to doctors for myself. But my husband is very very sick with lung failure and I am constantly asking things of his doctors. But my husband has so many needs and I am so concerned for him that I have to. And he doesn't speak up for himself nearly enough. I wonder if they think I am "nagging" or the overbearing wife or whatever. which is funny because I am usually VERY shy and quiet in real life and struggle to speak up for my own needs or ask for help. But while they may sometimes seem annoyed, they always do what I ask and do it well so I guess it's all ok.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:45 AM

9,852 posts, read 7,722,163 times
The doctors and dentists work for me. I'm hiring them. If I don't like their attitude or how they treat/don't treat me, I'll hire someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness