Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 10:40 AM

147 posts, read 112,401 times

Advertisements

Sadly my dad die of colon cancer at age 50. Back then colonoscopy screening is not a thing and he is also a doctor ( gynecologist).

So me and my siblings have to get it every 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2023, 10:16 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Cologuard is probably the most popular test for cancer screening but its most serious shortcoming (of which there are many) is that it gives FALSE NEGATIVES about 8% of the time. This means that a person who relies on Cologuard to determine whether they need to get a colonoscopy will be told (falsely) that there is no problem and therefore they aren't likely to get a medical procedure which they definitely need.

Additionally, Cologuard gives false positives about 14% of the time. "Cologuard can only detect 42% of large polyps, while a colonoscopy can detect 95% of large polyps. When polyps are detected during a colonoscopy they are removed at the same time. If polyps are detected with Cologuard, a colonoscopy must be performed to remove them."

https://healthybiteguide.com/how-oft...alse-negative/

So why fool around with an unreliable test? Regardless the test result, you can't really rely on it. Even if it does tell you correctly that you have a possible cancerous polyp in your colon, you'll still have to schedule and obtain a colonoscopy to confirm and remove it. Makes sense to me to just have the colonoscopy and be "One and done". Why fool around with some half-a$$ed test procedure? No pun intended.
Put me in the 14% group. I had a positive Cologuard test and just got a colonoscopy and I didn’t even have a polyp. There was no explanation as to what Cologuard picked up on. Anyway, I don’t need another test for 10 years. Yea!

I had the worse time with the prep though. Golyghtly or whatever it’s called. Threw up about 1/2 of the final glass, and just felt gassy and slightly nauseous. But I did a good job. Scored a perfect 9 on the bowel cleaning scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness