Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 12:10 PM

652 posts, read 520,290 times

Advertisements

I was in agony for multiple days. It lasted about a week until I my finger started to bleed out. Once that occurred I started to feel better. I went to the doctor and they gave me antibiotics but I chose to soak my finger in hot water instead. I really don't want to take antibiotics anymore. Anyway, I'm not sure how I got Paronychia but I how do I make sure I never get it again? Should I toss out my nail clipper and get a new one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2023, 12:29 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,210,591 times
All it takes is a small cut or hangnail for bacteria to enter. Some people are just more susceptible. I've had two. The first one I thought would go away and it just got worse developed a pocket of pus, got red hot and started throbbing horribly, needed to go to urgent care and have it drained. They said it could have led to blood poisoning if I had left it much longer. I got that one from petting a dog, I had a cut near my nail bed at the time.

The next one was from a splinter I got working in the basement. I took care of it immediately when I saw the area getting red, soaked in warm salt water, used anti-bacterial cream and wrapped it in bandage to protect it. That one I got in time.

I would get rid of the clippers or at least disinfect them thoroughly. I once got a skin follicle infection and had spread it around my body from my razor which was harboring the bacteria. I had to disinfect my whole bathroom and my clothes and throw away towels and soap, etc., Grr. I might have picked that one up from the gym.

Old 04-29-2023, 01:39 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
Anyway, I'm not sure how I got Paronychia but I how do I make sure I never get it again? Should I toss out my nail clipper and get a new one?
There are prevention tips toward the end of the article. Seems common sense:

https://www.healthline.com/health/paronychia#prevention

Take better care of your hands; protect them from injuries. Seems silly to toss metal clippers when disinfecting them properly would address that particular concern. OTOH, if you're overusing or not using clippers carefully enough the problem could happen all over again with the replacement set(s).

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-29-2023 at 02:19 PM..

Old 04-29-2023, 03:07 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I was in agony for multiple days. It lasted about a week until I my finger started to bleed out. Once that occurred I started to feel better. I went to the doctor and they gave me antibiotics but I chose to soak my finger in hot water instead. I really don't want to take antibiotics anymore. Anyway, I'm not sure how I got Paronychia but I how do I make sure I never get it again? Should I toss out my nail clipper and get a new one?
Never heard of that or what it means.

Old 04-29-2023, 03:36 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Any trivial injury that results in broken skin around the nailfold can result in paronychia. They HURT and can be very annoying. Best to get them drained ASAP when you get one.
For prevention -- wash hands with antibacterial soap (Dial makes one that is cheap and widely available) and use a good hand cream to avoid broken skin due to drying and cracking.

Old 04-29-2023, 03:38 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,318,769 times
I had to google "paronychia". Wash your nail clipper with detergent and a clean sponge, and soak it in vinegar water.
If my doctor prescribed antibiotics, I would finish taking the course. Take care of your health and rest well.

Old 04-30-2023, 08:52 AM

652 posts, read 520,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
All it takes is a small cut or hangnail for bacteria to enter. Some people are just more susceptible. I've had two. The first one I thought would go away and it just got worse developed a pocket of pus, got red hot and started throbbing horribly, needed to go to urgent care and have it drained. They said it could have led to blood poisoning if I had left it much longer. I got that one from petting a dog, I had a cut near my nail bed at the time.

The next one was from a splinter I got working in the basement. I took care of it immediately when I saw the area getting red, soaked in warm salt water, used anti-bacterial cream and wrapped it in bandage to protect it. That one I got in time.

I would get rid of the clippers or at least disinfect them thoroughly. I once got a skin follicle infection and had spread it around my body from my razor which was harboring the bacteria. I had to disinfect my whole bathroom and my clothes and throw away towels and soap, etc., Grr. I might have picked that one up from the gym.

Thanks for this post. I've had staph infections in the past as well. I think it's because I have eczema. My skin breaks/cracks easily.

Old 04-30-2023, 09:08 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,210,591 times
A paronychia can turn into something called a felon, which is what happened to me. I joked with the doctor about a release and time served. He said it was going to be an execution and took out the scalpel. What a relief to get that thing lanced but it took some time to fully heal.

Old 04-30-2023, 09:25 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Yeah, I occasionally get those.....usually if I cut my fingernails too short.

Clean it really good and gob-on vaseline, then wrap in duct-tape for at least 8 hours.....it helps a lot
with the pain and inflammation. The open wound and the hard skin around it usually is what causes me
the most pain.

Old 04-30-2023, 09:29 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Is this just an infection next to the nail? I've had those a dozen times or more, and they've always cleared up with home treatment. Hot water soaks, betadine, drain with a sterilized pin. Probably that last part is not recommended these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness