Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 12:30 PM

17,540 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
I see an MD ophthalmologist yearly, mainly due to dry macular degeneration. For the last 10 years, it has been routine that a "tech" does the majority of "eye chart" testing, the MD then does direct exam of eye using slit lamp , etc.
MrsM and I do not have macular degeneration, but we both refuse to see optometrists. My belief is that a MD Ophthalmologist is much better trained than an OD.

The tech always does the testing and our Doctor always does the exam. It has always been that way ever since we were children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 02:57 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
The tech always does the testing and our Doctor always does the exam. It has always been that way ever since we were children.
It's possible part of the confusion is over the distinction between "testing" and "exam". Where one starts and the other lends.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-13-2023 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-13-2023, 05:11 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
FWIW a lot of optometry practices have more work than they can keep up with so that's probably the reason the OP got steered away from there.

Old 07-14-2023, 06:03 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,896,864 times
Quote:
MrsM and I do not have macular degeneration, but we both refuse to see optometrists. My belief is that a MD Ophthalmologist is much better trained than an OD.

Optometrists are trained to do eye examinations and diagnose medical problems such as macular degeneration, cataracts and glaucoma. They can also treat surface issues such as pinkeye. Ophthalmologists can do all the same things as well as do surgery, which is their primary function. Many Ophthalmology practices have Optometrists that do the eye exams and if they find something they refer them to the MDs. IMHO its not correct that an MD Ophthalmologist is better trained to do eye exams, they are both well trained and since the primary function of the Optometrist is to do eye exams, they are quite proficient at them. From my experience in the field and having a relative that was an MD, they will do exams but prefer the medical side of the field.

Old 07-17-2023, 11:17 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:

It's almost impossible to see an Ophthalmologist anymore without a referral. Mine is a very skilled eye surgeon but since I've recovered from my surgeries the only way I'll see him again without a referral is to sign up for his side business: cosmetic procedures. He makes a lot more money zapping fat and wrinkles than whatever the medicare rate card pays for cataract surgery. And good for him too. He's reinvested a lot of that money into his practice.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:01 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
It's almost impossible to see an Ophthalmologist anymore without a referral. Mine is a very skilled eye surgeon but since I've recovered from my surgeries the only way I'll see him again without a referral is to sign up for his side business: cosmetic procedures. He makes a lot more money zapping fat and wrinkles than whatever the medicare rate card pays for cataract surgery. And good for him too. He's reinvested a lot of that money into his practice.
That is similar to the situation I am in.

Since the Costco guy left W and I needed a new place. The wife needed a cataract evaluation and she went to this large practice and saw the ophthalmologist. She raved about him so I went to make an appointment with him but nope-cannot see MD unless you have a medical issue. Routine exams are done by the ODs (or their techs as I have learned now).

Old 07-21-2023, 05:11 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I always get my primary care doctor to give me a referral to see my ophthalmologist since I had a lazy eye problem when I was a child which has changed as an adult into a discoordination problem between my 2 eyes (each with very different vision).

Old 07-21-2023, 11:00 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
after having gone to a optometrist for a few yrs who i got more and more disgusted with, My primary recommended an ophthalmologist who she knew. Wasnt a referral. no forms filled out etc. My primary told me to call him up and make an appt. The MD does his own testing, doesnt push cataract surgery and told me that I did not have glaucoma like the optometrist said I did. No optometrists for me!

Old 08-27-2023, 06:09 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Finally went by that Costco again.

This is the place that took over with virtual exams.
https://my2020nowexam.com

Old 08-27-2023, 06:37 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I feel as if the problem is choosing to go to a large practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness