Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 02:37 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times

Advertisements

So also make sure you:

Are not disabled
Are not in any type of abusive relationship
Have access to good medical care
Have access and money to buy healthy, fresh food
Don't have any bad habits
Live in a safe area

Good luck to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2023, 03:44 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
I don't get how negatives are classified as habits. They are good admonitions and do help one's heath.

From the list...
  • not smoking
  • not regularly drinking alcohol excessively
  • not developing an opioid addiction
Not doing something is not a habit.

Can someone be a habitual non-smoker?

Old 07-30-2023, 10:12 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveareeno5 View Post
don't have the link handy but recently read a very credible sounding article that says that most diseases come early from all the seed oils we consume mostly in processed foods. Avoid all oils including restricting olive oil. Make sure any omega 6 and others is suppemented with omega 3 fatty acids.
I have been seeing a lot of those articles. The thing is, I have come to believe what they are saying.

I was a pretty health 75 year old who had been active all his life, albeit overweight by 35 pounds. I never smoked anything at all and only rarely drank a beer. Then my arteries clogged and I had a 4X bypass.
I ate lots of salads! Oatmeal every single morning for years. I followed the guidelines. Still... Heart surgery.

I weighed 227 a few days after surgery. I started studying the situation and switched to a diet with plenty of meat and no salads at all. I realized I didn't really like them anyway.
2 1/2 years later I am at 185 with a cholesterol of 134. I still lose about a pound a month.
The "green leafy" crowd is misinformed. The carnivore crowd has it right. I cook with lard, butter, beef tallow or sometimes olive oil.

Old 07-31-2023, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I have been seeing a lot of those articles. The thing is, I have come to believe what they are saying.

I was a pretty health 75 year old who had been active all his life, albeit overweight by 35 pounds. I never smoked anything at all and only rarely drank a beer. Then my arteries clogged and I had a 4X bypass.
I ate lots of salads! Oatmeal every single morning for years. I followed the guidelines. Still... Heart surgery.

I weighed 227 a few days after surgery. I started studying the situation and switched to a diet with plenty of meat and no salads at all. I realized I didn't really like them anyway.
2 1/2 years later I am at 185 with a cholesterol of 134. I still lose about a pound a month.
The "green leafy" crowd is misinformed. The carnivore crowd has it right. I cook with lard, butter, beef tallow or sometimes olive oil.
Did you have any symptoms or warnings in your body that something was wrong?

What made you switch away from salads?

Old 07-31-2023, 07:10 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
My family tends to live to the 100yo range which I think is curse, so forget about trying to extend my life by 24 years, I am trying to find ways to reduce it, lol.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Did you have any symptoms or warnings in your body that something was wrong?

What made you switch away from salads?
I felt warnings for a few months before I went to have it checked. Started as a slight discomfort when I walked. I have always walked "purposefully" - as if I had a place to go - and did a lot of walking. Nearly 700 miles, about 5 years ago.
At first the cardiologist thought it would respond to medication. It didn't. Then they scheduled a stent and found I was so blocked up they couldn't get the stent through. The next day they filleted me like I was a catfish. Note: The operation was not nearly as bad as you would think.

I changed my diet after I did some serious reading and began trying to understand why I had clogged up in spite of a life-time of "good habits". I found there are an awful lot of doctors and researchers who are waving their arms and shouting, "It's all wrong", about the plant based diet.

The other thing was I found a huge number of people who leaned carnivore and had lost weight, gained health and so forth. And now I am one of them. I don't miss the old way of eating, and I really enjoy my new look and the way I feel.
Salads contain almost nothing useful to a human and almost nothing tasteful. The dressing is usually made of stuff that was machine oil in 1910 until they added flavoring and began to feed it to us. We only eat salads out of habit.
My dinner last night at the restaurant with family and friends was a steak with broccoli. And water. The satiety was off the charts and I did not get hungry again until 10AM.

Breakfast: Pork chop and egg.
I lost about a pound last month. 184, now. I can see my 34 inch pants are getting a little loose.
As you can see, I am totally convinced. But I'd sure be willing to discuss it with anyone who wants to. But I have to caution everyone - I do not buy the argument "everyone knows".

Old 07-31-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I felt warnings for a few months before I went to have it checked. Started as a slight discomfort when I walked. I have always walked "purposefully" - as if I had a place to go - and did a lot of walking. Nearly 700 miles, about 5 years ago.
At first the cardiologist thought it would respond to medication. It didn't. Then they scheduled a stent and found I was so blocked up they couldn't get the stent through. The next day they filleted me like I was a catfish. Note: The operation was not nearly as bad as you would think.

I changed my diet after I did some serious reading and began trying to understand why I had clogged up in spite of a life-time of "good habits". I found there are an awful lot of doctors and researchers who are waving their arms and shouting, "It's all wrong", about the plant based diet.

The other thing was I found a huge number of people who leaned carnivore and had lost weight, gained health and so forth. And now I am one of them. I don't miss the old way of eating, and I really enjoy my new look and the way I feel.
Salads contain almost nothing useful to a human and almost nothing tasteful. The dressing is usually made of stuff that was machine oil in 1910 until they added flavoring and began to feed it to us. We only eat salads out of habit.
My dinner last night at the restaurant with family and friends was a steak with broccoli. And water. The satiety was off the charts and I did not get hungry again until 10AM.

Breakfast: Pork chop and egg.
I lost about a pound last month. 184, now. I can see my 34 inch pants are getting a little loose.
As you can see, I am totally convinced. But I'd sure be willing to discuss it with anyone who wants to. But I have to caution everyone - I do not buy the argument "everyone knows".
Thank for this response.

I don't have any issues to this point in my mid 50s - except occasional neuropathy in my legs. Numbers are good. I know I can clean up my eating a bit and bring down the calorie intake somewhat - since I would be considered obese on the BMI scale. I do a bunch of walking and bowling. Every so often I will push my heart rate up with something strenuous like running, or I had worked my way up to doing 100 push ups (not at once, but in a short time frame).

I am big on listening to my body and don't like taking OTC medicines for every little ache and pain. I want to feel what my body is telling me. That's why I asked what your experience was.

Old 07-31-2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Thank for this response.

I don't have any issues to this point in my mid 50s - except occasional neuropathy in my legs. Numbers are good. I know I can clean up my eating a bit and bring down the calorie intake somewhat - since I would be considered obese on the BMI scale. I do a bunch of walking and bowling. Every so often I will push my heart rate up with something strenuous like running, or I had worked my way up to doing 100 push ups (not at once, but in a short time frame).

I am big on listening to my body and don't like taking OTC medicines for every little ache and pain. I want to feel what my body is telling me. That's why I asked what your experience was.
You may be interested in the "I Wish I Had.." thread over in the Retirement Forum.
In that thread I commented I wish I had started going to the gym sooner. It's never too late, of course, and it was not too late for me at age 75. I get a lot out of it.
But if I had it to do over again I would have lost the extra weight and altered my dietary habits sooner.

I have learned all calories are not created equal. The calories I got last night out of that 12oz Ribeye would not be the same as calories got from a large Subway sandwich.
It is now 1PM. I ate my egg and pork chop at 10, so I am nowhere near hungry. Besides, I just got back from my workout and I feel like taking a little nap in the sun. Probably get hungry around 3.

I'm telling, you there is LIFE after 65! But you gotta work at it.

Old 07-31-2023, 03:07 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times
If you're big on red meat, just know about cancer risks.

Especially if you're a woman and already have risks for breast cancer. I've been told this by doctors and a nutritionist.

https://examine.com/articles/scienti...--or-did-they/

Old 07-31-2023, 03:14 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,501,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
If you're big on red meat, just know about cancer risks.

Especially if you're a woman and already have risks for breast cancer. I've been told this by doctors and a nutritionist.

https://examine.com/articles/scienti...--or-did-they/
All the evidence for meat causing CRC comes from observational database, and we cannot draw causality inferences from them. No matter, the media likes to make everything sensationalized with eye catchy titles like red meat causes cancer.

Here are some studies, all saying different things:

1. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1002/ijc.10126
2. https://link.springer.com/article/10...:1015236701054
3. https://aacrjournals.org/cebp/articl...pective-Cohort
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness