Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 07:34 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times

Advertisements

Has anybody done Hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) therapy to help repair damage from medical radiation?

I have a surgical wound that isn't healing well. I went to a wound care center, and they reviewed my medical history, then identified the chemo radiation I had 17 years ago as a probable culprit, and suggested HBO.

I'm interested in doing it, have been reading around the web. It will likely improve things, but nobody is claiming it will totally "cure" all the damage. Any improvement is good, right? Side effects are minimal, and resolve after treatment ends.

But it's a huge time commitment: they start with 40 sessions minimum. That's two hours a day, 5 days a week, for 8 weeks. The center is about 45 minutes from home, so it's going to take at least 3-1/2 hours a day.

So..have you done HBO?
Did it improve anything?
Did you have any problems?

And I'd be asking if I didn't know...What is HBO?
As the treatment was explained to me, you are sealed into a clear plastic chamber with a bed in it (I saw the chambers, they're about the size of the bed, with enough room to sit upright if desired, and well lit).
The chamber is filled with pure oxygen (normal air is about 21% oxygen), and raised to about twice normal pressure. This forces oxygen into your bloodstream, which helps heal wounds.
It's used for burns, wounds that aren't healing, radiation damage, and more.

A similar system is used for divers suffering from the bends because they came up from deep water too quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2023, 01:21 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,499,251 times
I doubt it does anything.

A gym I used to go had purchased a hyperbaric chamber, and promoting it as helping you recover quicker from workouts.

I tried it just for fun. Relaxing. Fell asleep right away! But felt no difference after wards. Just to give it a fair shake, I did it around half a dozen times. At something like 200$ a session, it was a whole lot of money to just get in a nap

Old 08-12-2023, 12:10 PM

They do say it takes at least a dozen sessions before you start to see results in medical issues.

Sounds like your gym was just using it to make money. Mission accomplished!

Old 08-12-2023, 01:52 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,499,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
They do say it takes at least a dozen sessions before you start to see results in medical issues.

Sounds like your gym was just using it to make money. Mission accomplished!
Just go scuba diving. You’ll be breathing “air” at pressure

Old 08-12-2023, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Just go scuba diving. You’ll be breathing “air” at pressure
Does my insurance cover that?

Old 08-12-2023, 07:30 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Since this is a surgical wound, what do your surgeons think about this?

I would get a second opinion about HBO for healing a surgical wound. Most of the explanations of HBO reference non-healing diabetic wounds.

In addition I would research the wound care center to ensure that they are licensed and approved to perform this service. If you are near the Mayo Clinic, or other nationally recognized facility, I would ask for a consultation.

"You should only receive hyperbaric oxygen therapy for an approved condition from an experienced healthcare provider in an accredited medical facility. Ask your healthcare provider if they have certification through the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society."

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...oxygen-therapy

Old 08-12-2023, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Since this is a surgical wound, what do your surgeons think about this?

I would get a second opinion about HBO for healing a surgical wound. Most of the explanations of HBO reference non-healing diabetic wounds.

In addition I would research the wound care center to ensure that they are licensed and approved to perform this service. If you are near the Mayo Clinic, or other nationally recognized facility, I would ask for a consultation.

"You should only receive hyperbaric oxygen therapy for an approved condition from an experienced healthcare provider in an accredited medical facility. Ask your healthcare provider if they have certification through the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society."

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...oxygen-therapy
Thanks for the suggestions. This is the preferred wound care center in our area; I asked a few medical professionals where to go, and all agreed. I've conferred with one surgeon, meet with *my* surgeon in about a week.

The Mayo Clinic website agrees that HBO aids in healing radiation damage and surgical wounds; I wish they had suggested it when I was there for surgery five years ago. It might have saved me quite bit of pain and maybe I wouldn't have had to have this recent surgery.

Old 08-13-2023, 05:02 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,665,222 times
Sounds expensive. What's this going to cost?

Old 08-13-2023, 09:31 AM

My insurance covers everything but the gas to get there.

If it works, it could prevent future pain and surgery as well as resolving current issues, potentially SAVING money for my insurance company.

Be nice to hear from someone who has actually used it for radiation damage repair...

Old 08-13-2023, 01:14 PM

10,305 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
My insurance covers everything but the gas to get there.

If it works, it could prevent future pain and surgery as well as resolving current issues, potentially SAVING money for my insurance company.

Be nice to hear from someone who has actually used it for radiation damage repair...
Sorry, can't comment on the radiation damage repair specifically.

But....I can tell you that the HBOT works wonders for those diabetics that are on the verge of amputation. Yes, it DOES take it's sweet time in efficacy. When I have a patient that is "new" to the hyperbaric chamber oxy therapy (HBOT) I tell them, "You may not notice any wound improvement after the first 28 to 30 visits, but STAY THE COURSE as all the healing/closure happens FAST in the last week of therapy." They never believe me, until the last week of therapy. (Usually, insurance pays for 39 visits...)

I have a new patient starting HBOT tomorrow, replacing 1 that had his 39 visits. He's going to keep his right foot (for now.)

Now, about the therapy itself...

1. You'll "dive" to 2 bar (about 34 feet down, if you were in water.)

2. It'll take about 15 minutes to arrive at depth.

3. You'll spend about 60-90 mins at depth.

4. You'll "rise" from depth very slowly (to avoid the "bends.) Figure about a half hour-45 mins.

5. This "diving and rising action can be VERY hard on your ear drums. Be advised. (No gum either.)

6. You can take NOTHING with you inside the chamber. No book, no ipad, no phone, no anything.

7. Be sure you potty just prior to loading into the chamber. You can be "ok" when you go in, then when you compress you'll still be "ok. It's the "de-compression" that gets bladders. Don't be afraid to ask for an adult diaper, as you may NEED it! (Very common.)

8. Prepare for incredible BOREDOM.

9. As I said above, HAVE PATIENCE, Grasshopper!

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 08-13-2023 at 01:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness