Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 01:35 PM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The drug is effective if it reaches the nasal passages, but in pill form it breaks down before that can happen. Nasal sprays with phenylephrine are still considered effective and will remain on the shelves.
Thats why it works as a nasal spray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 09:09 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
In a recent unanimous vote, 16 advisors determined that oral versions of phenylephrine, a common nasal decongestant found in popular over-the-counter medications, are ineffective at relieving nasal congestion.
Recent studies have shown that phenylephrine fails to outperform placebo pills.
The FDA may take steps to remove phenylephrine from the market, potentially impacting manufacturers such as Procter & Gamble, Johnson & Johnson, and Kenvue.

Took them very long to determine... After billions were sold and billions $ made.
They were initially FDA approved as effective, no?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/12/w...ternative.html

LOL, those advisors didn't talk to me before they made that announcement. I find them effective in relieving my nasal congestion. Maybe it's the placebo effect, but whatever it is, it works for me. Guess I will have to restock my medicine cabinets with the stuff before they yank it off the market " for the good of the public".

Old 09-19-2023, 10:24 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
They should never have been allowed to sell that stuff!

I used to take the real Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) but when they started keeping it behind the counter it got too annoying so I tried that new kind of Sudfed. It didn't do a thing. I looked it up online and it said it was ineffective. I called if Fake Sudafed.

I bet the Sudafed owners saw that people weren't bothering to wait in line and show their id at the counter. They were losing money so they marketed the fake Sudafed. The real Sudafed--for sinus congestion it was wonderful. I may try it again.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:17 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
In a recent unanimous vote, 16 advisors determined that oral versions of phenylephrine, a common nasal decongestant found in popular over-the-counter medications, are ineffective at relieving nasal congestion.
Recent studies have shown that phenylephrine fails to outperform placebo pills.
The FDA may take steps to remove phenylephrine from the market, potentially impacting manufacturers such as Procter & Gamble, Johnson & Johnson, and Kenvue.

Took them very long to determine... After billions were sold and billions $ made.
They were initially FDA approved as effective, no?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/12/w...ternative.html
I was talking about this today at the Veterans Apothecary Association picnic. We had a pharmaceutical chemistry professor over 50 years ago that always said phenylephrine, taken orally, does absolutely nothing as a decongestant! ) Over 50 years to be vindicated!

(Didn't take anywhere that long to prove that 1) Talwin would become a controlled substance ASAP, 2) Talwin is dangerous

It took almost this long when he said that Thalidomide (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21507989/ ) will be back. ( https://www.massnurses.org/2006/12/1...omide-is-back/ )

Carl was a great professor and a great person

Old 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Well I guess they had to do something when they put the "meth" behind the counter. So they stuck some ineffective crap on the shelf and got away with it for years. How about let's hold someone responsible for this fraud.

I knew that stuff didn't work. It isn't even unusual when They decide some ingredient or product is too dangerous for us mortals to use, they replace it with something substandard or ineffective and call it equivalent, applies to all kinds of products. Rip off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness