Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:12 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times

Advertisements

Good morning. I am trying to learn everything I can about MS. There is a good friend of mine who has it, and I want to know the ins and outs.

If you have it, or know someone close to you who does, please chime in.

This is very important to me.

If you know some things but do not wish to share them on the board, please dm me.

I do appreciate everything and anything you can help me with, and I would like to thank you in advance.

Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 09:34 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times
Well it's an autoimmune disease in the Central Nervous system where the T-Cells are attacking the Myelin Sheath (Nerve Coatings) which insulate the Nerves and that keep the Nerve impulse moving along. When the Fatty Myelin is eaten away then Paralyses or numbeness then occurs,

Most of the medications are the self injection Interferon Beta medicines that clamp down ob the T-Cells so the Myelin can rebuild.

Here's a good site for MS.
This Is MS | Unbiased Multiple Sclerosis Research, News, and Community

Old 06-02-2008, 08:39 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times
Thanks 6/3

Old 06-02-2008, 09:34 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,899,648 times
DM sent.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:04 AM

1,396 posts, read 3,441,852 times
Why did'nt you reply to her dm Robyn?

Old 06-06-2008, 03:55 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,339,102 times
At the health food store I used to work at, in the book section was a book and I can't remember the name of it but it had something to do with reversing ms. There's one on diabetes too.
I flipped through it one day because I know someone that has it. Mostly what I saw was a change of diet. Of course we all know that's a cure for most diseases anyway but not a whole lot of people want to do that. They'd rather take the drugs.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
At the health food store I used to work at, in the book section was a book and I can't remember the name of it but it had something to do with reversing ms. There's one on diabetes too.
I flipped through it one day because I know someone that has it. Mostly what I saw was a change of diet. Of course we all know that's a cure for most diseases anyway but not a whole lot of people want to do that. They'd rather take the drugs.

I can assure you that as all MS medication is injectable at this stage, all of it has side effects ranging from unpleasant to hideous and NONE of it cures, nobody, NOBODY would RATHER take the drugs.

There are benefits for following a diet low in saturated fats that can help some people alleviate some of the symptoms and prolong the onset of exacerbations but you are completely uninformed if you think that ANYONE has EVER been cured of MS by diet or meds or any other reason for that matter. It has no cure. Frankly I find your comment flippant, uninformed and offensive.

Last edited by moonshadow; 06-06-2008 at 05:04 PM..

Old 06-06-2008, 07:16 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I can assure you that as all MS medication is injectable at this stage, all of it has side effects ranging from unpleasant to hideous and NONE of it cures, nobody, NOBODY would RATHER take the drugs.

There are benefits for following a diet low in saturated fats that can help some people alleviate some of the symptoms and prolong the onset of exacerbations but you are completely uninformed if you think that ANYONE has EVER been cured of MS by diet or meds or any other reason for that matter. It has no cure. Frankly I find your comment flippant, uninformed and offensive.
Excellent response Moonshadow.....unfortunately the response you saw is all too common on this forum.

In a nutshell: 1. all drugs are evil:changes in diet can cure all
2. "Big Pharma" is a money hungry entity that has never contributed a positive product for society.
3. MD's are simple minded pawns of big pharma that never get to the "root causes" of diseases but only push drugs.
4. Naturopaths walk on water, change water into wine and during their spare time cure disease by......you guessed it, "treating the underylying causes."
5. Government is in cahoots with big Pharma and is determined to undermine all supplements and herbal products by, you know, actually asking for proof that products do what they claim.
6. Poor supplement makers must give their products away because they can't afford clinical trials and are only providing their products as a benefit to society, profit is optional or discouraged.

There are other recurring themes on this forum but those would be my top 6...

Old 06-06-2008, 08:14 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,339,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post

The OP asked a question and I answered it. I did not read the book. I flipped through the pages and what I saw as the main part was a change of diet.
Please go back and reread my post. I didn't say that anyone has ever been cured of anything but personally if I had ms or any other disease, I would be open to curing my disease. Diseases have been cured by change of diet and lifestyle because I've seen it happen but it takes work and dedication.
It's your right to find my comment flippant, uninformed and offensive but I was answering a question and giving my opinion.
Drugs are not the only answer. If you're offended by that, I feel sorry for you.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Excellent response Moonshadow.....unfortunately the response you saw is all too common on this forum.

In a nutshell: 1. all drugs are evil:changes in diet can cure all
2. "Big Pharma" is a money hungry entity that has never contributed a positive product for society.
3. MD's are simple minded pawns of big pharma that never get to the "root causes" of diseases but only push drugs.
4. Naturopaths walk on water, change water into wine and during their spare time cure disease by......you guessed it, "treating the underylying causes."
5. Government is in cahoots with big Pharma and is determined to undermine all supplements and herbal products by, you know, actually asking for proof that products do what they claim.
6. Poor supplement makers must give their products away because they can't afford clinical trials and are only providing their products as a benefit to society, profit is optional or discouraged.

There are other recurring themes on this forum but those would be my top 6...
Yes, I see this alot, both on forums and in general day to day discussion. It is usually the position of those that have not experienced a particular illness at close hand that have the most to say about what everyone else should be doing.

My position on these things has always been that people need to follow their own path and that they should be supported to make whatever informed choices they are able, to deal with their disease as best they can. It's very easy to be anti big pharma and think your MD is an uninformed pawn if you've never had to go to them with a serious illness. When you do see the ramifications and read up on these things and see the statistics and projected outcomes, I know very few people that are willing to risk soley relying on the unsubstantiated claims of the alternative health industry even if they've never been a big fan of big pharma. It's a rock and a hard place situation as far as I can see.
I am all for utilizing and exploring as many alternate therapies as a person feels is appropriate for them, and using those tools in adjunct to traditional medicines but not at the expense of their health. And the fact remains that there are usually no controlled studies of the efficacy of alternative medicine. When it comes to disease people need quality statistics and quality information in order to choose the correct path for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness