Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 06:26 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
Absolutely excellent information!

Thank you so very much.

Please take care.
I would take a ChatGPT diagnosis with a grain of salt at this point. The AI can often string together sentences that sound good, but aren't necessarily correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2023, 06:39 PM

736 posts, read 484,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I would take a ChatGPT diagnosis with a grain of salt at this point. The AI can often string together sentences that sound good, but aren't necessarily correct.

I didn't really understand. I am wondering if anyone can very how accurate the info was.

I only understand bone marrow biopsies and language, because my mother had aplastic anemia. In the meantime, I taught myself all kinds of info about bone marrow diseases.

On the other hand,sStroke language - other than the very basics - and I am very confused. I cannot understand neurological reports well. I just cannot get my head around them.

But I very much appreciate the person's help.

Thank you.

Old 10-30-2023, 04:25 PM

736 posts, read 484,858 times
So, two years after my mother has her stroke, I finally learned that her 20000 platelet count was not the cause of her brain bleed. It would have only contributed to making it worse, if it did (I imagine it did indeed).

My mother did not have hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol, or heart disease. She had no other comorbities except for aplastic anemia. She developed said disease about 7 months before her stroke.

Any other insights from anyone? I would really be grateful. I got very little info from doctors, etc after her stroke. We were simply told she had a hemorrhagic stroke (17/42 on Stroke Severity Scale), and that low platelets played a role, or something. (thrombocytopenia). That was it!

Old 11-02-2023, 10:05 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Lacunar infarcts are tiny splotches in the brain tissue seen on ct or mri scans. They represent "micro-infarcts" (small strokes) that probably don't give symptoms like paralyis, loss of speech, etc seen with larger strokes. They're usually seen in bunches and it's easy to blame them (without proof) when an older pt shows some gradual, nonspecific deterioration in strength, co-ordination, mentation.

It's good to have normal platelet counts and coagulation factor levels so that when we bleed, it stops quickly. Having low levels don't "make you bleed," they prevent you from clotting quickly when you do bleed.

In your Ma's case, there's two problems- why were her platelets low, and why did she bleed? It's a good guess she bled from the combination of brittle, arteriosclerotic blood vessels + elevated BP (at least temporarily)....Various things can cause low platelet counts-- anything that suppresses the bone marrow, from ca, to liver or kidney disease to diseases of the marrow/blood itself.

...and I commisurate with you about talking to doctors. My 94 y/o mother was recently hospitalized. I left a message with the "message center" (nobody gets to talk directly with the office anymore) for the doc to please call Dr. Lamoto (I'm a reired physician)..and it STILL took them 5 days to return the call, and then it was only the nurse. If professional courtesy is no longer important, there's no hope for a mere patient.

After all... Obummercare will still pay them whether or not the pt likes it.
What is a "'pt"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness