Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 11:45 PM

7,671 posts, read 3,301,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I feel for you, I hate prednisone.

Swimming would probably be the best exercise, and water aerobics.

Also, exercise the parts you can, do core exercises, hand weights or bands for the upper body.
I hate Pred too. Instead of sending me to an allergist my PCP several years ago would just give me Pred when my allergies were out of control. I gained weight every time because one week was never enough and it usually ran 2-3 weeks. Made me eat like a horse. I don't think I ever lost That weight and then I gained more. I just did not have time to really deal with all of it back then when I was recovering from a bad accident and dealing with a new career, etc. I finally put my foot down and got referred to an allergist. She was a nut and I found the guy I have been with for almost a decade now. I did the desensitization and was finally diagnosed with Asthma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 08:00 PM

3,458 posts, read 2,440,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Nobody said OP is obese. Knee replacements are just as successful on 250# men as on 100# women. Of course, a surgeon will not want to operate on an obese person, because of the dangers of surgery, but not because of the actual knee.
The OP said they had to lose 50 pounds just to get the surgery. That means she's obese. People who don't weigh 50 pounds more than the maximum allowed to qualify for surgery - don't get told they need to lose 50 pounds before the surgeon will touch them.

Old 11-02-2023, 11:31 AM

14,416 posts, read 14,341,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
2023 has been hell for me.

The orthopod I consulted (good guy) said I needed to lose 50 lbs before he would fix my knees. I have those extra 50 lbs because my pulmonologist put me on prednisone.

Right knee is bone-on-bone and it's getting worse. Left knee is slightly less worse. My husband has to support me to help me walk. I have to literally pull myself up the stairs to get to bed.

I can't keep living like this. How can I lose 50 lbs when I can't even exercise?
I am sorry. Can you swim or undertake some form of exercise like lifting weights? The other advice about changing dietary habits is spot on. Will a doctor prescribe a weight loss drug like Ozempic?

Old 11-13-2023, 10:02 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,992,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I am sorry. Can you swim or undertake some form of exercise like lifting weights?
Sorry, I've been away. I do have weights at the other house.

We're returning to Scottsdale later this week, I believe. We have a pool there but the issue is a war of wills between the pool guy, my husband and the pool office, which is always trying to figure out new ways to bill us. Still, I would love to spend some time in the pool as long as I'm not out in the Southwestern sun. Before 10 am and after 4 pm would be fine.

Quote:
The other advice about changing dietary habits is spot on. Will a doctor prescribe a weight loss drug like Ozempic?
Ozempic isn't FDA-approved for weight loss, only diabetes.

Thanks for responding.

Old 11-13-2023, 10:29 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,345,411 times
Quote:
Sorry, I've been away. I do have weights at the other house.

We're returning to Scottsdale later this week, I believe. We have a pool there but the issue is a war of wills between the pool guy, my husband and the pool office, which is always trying to figure out new ways to bill us. Still, I would love to spend some time in the pool as long as I'm not out in the Southwestern sun. Before 10 am and after 4 pm would be fine.

Ozempic isn't FDA-approved for weight loss, only diabetes.

Thanks for responding.
They just approved a similar drug for weight loss, it's called Zepbound

Old 11-14-2023, 04:46 AM

21,984 posts, read 13,030,638 times
Ozempic isn't approved for weight loss, but (prescription) Wegovy is -- and now there are several other versions, including generics from China you can buy over the Internet. People are dropping weight like crazy! But at what cost long-term, is the question...

Old 11-15-2023, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Ozempic isn't approved for weight loss, but (prescription) Wegovy is -- and now there are several other versions, including generics from China you can buy over the Internet. People are dropping weight like crazy! But at what cost long-term, is the question...
I was on Wegovy for three full months, at $1,200 per month. I might have actually lost one pound. At four pounds per year, this would have drained my bank account dry. Even my PCP threw up his hands in horror.

Old 11-15-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
They just approved a similar drug for weight loss, it's called Zepbound
I heard. I'm off GLP-1 drugs and similar drugs for good.

Old 11-15-2023, 06:30 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,030,638 times
Quote:
I was on Wegovy for three full months, at $1,200 per month. I might have actually lost one pound.
You must be the only person in the world who hasn't lost weight on these drugs. Granted, many get sick on them, too -- but they lose weight!

Old 11-15-2023, 06:35 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,029,124 times
Exercise, while great for you, isn't the major component in weight loss.

Reduced calorie intake is. Significantly reduce your calories, and your will lose weight.

There was no one rescued from Auschwitz who wasn't stick thin. Everyone loses weight when caloric intake is restricted.

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness