Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 06:37 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There was no one rescued from Auschwitz who wasn't stick thin. Everyone loses weight when caloric intake is restricted.
Which kind of disproves the old "your body goes into starvation mode and holds on to weight" theory...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 08:10 PM

7,479 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Exercise, while great for you, isn't the major component in weight loss.

Reduced calorie intake is. Significantly reduce your calories, and your will lose weight.

There was no one rescued from Auschwitz who wasn't stick thin. Everyone loses weight when caloric intake is restricted.

Best wishes.
Yeah, and also none of them had loose skin (which is why fasting is the way to go).

Old 11-16-2023, 12:40 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Which kind of disproves the old "your body goes into starvation mode and holds on to weight" theory...
I can't believe we're using Holocaust victims as examples of healthy weight loss. It's ghoulish. They were legitimately starved. There was no weight to hold onto.

Old 11-16-2023, 12:45 PM

7,479 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I can't believe we're using Holocaust victims as examples of healthy weight loss. It's ghoulish. They were legitimately starved. There was no weight to hold onto.
Well, Dr. Fung uses that example as proof that anyone can lose weight. It's a food thing. Everyone can lose weight (but, obviously not if they don't change their diet and do at least some intermittent fasting).

Old 11-17-2023, 01:31 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
2023 has been hell for me.

The orthopod I consulted (good guy) said I needed to lose 50 lbs before he would fix my knees. I have those extra 50 lbs because my pulmonologist put me on prednisone.

Right knee is bone-on-bone and it's getting worse. Left knee is slightly less worse. My husband has to support me to help me walk. I have to literally pull myself up the stairs to get to bed.

I can't keep living like this. How can I lose 50 lbs when I can't even exercise?
I don't know if it will help you lose weight, but it will help in getting the blood moving again in your legs. I also have one of those machines that can read your heart pulse, oxygen levels, etc via your fingertips.

I have a machine that moves your feet/legs in a walking fashion while you are sitting. It isn't a replacement for walking, but it certainly is better than foing nothing. I noticed that whike the machine is on, my heart beats, oxygen levels, etc increase as if my body is going through the effects of actual walking. Perhaps you should get one too.

The one I have is a slightly different model, but basically it appears to me they all do the same. You turn it on and eventually it automatically turns off.

https://youtu.be/nmNRmVWBUD4?si=yqe15oV6fPjWhYdF

Old 11-17-2023, 07:33 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Exercise, while great for you, isn't the major component in weight loss.

Reduced calorie intake is. Significantly reduce your calories, and your will lose weight.

Best wishes.
Years ago there was a letter to the editor in our local paper from a WWII veteran who had been a prisoner of war. He said "all you people trying this diet and that diet, I have a suggestion. Eat nothing but turnip soup for a while. You'll lose a huge amount of weight in no time."

Old 11-17-2023, 07:51 AM

That brings up the idea of why someone wants to lose weight. Is it to be as small as possible or is it to be healthy? Because starving yourself or giving yourself an eating disorder isn't healthy. Training yourself to be obsessive or compulsive around food and the number on the scale isn't healthy. Using exercise as punishment or to "earn" your food isn't healthy.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 11-17-2023 at 08:31 AM..

Old 11-17-2023, 07:59 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
That brings up the idea of why someone wants to lose weight. Is it to be as small as possible or is it to be healthy? Because starving yourself or giving yourself an eating disorder isn't healthy. Training yourself to be obsessive or compulsive around food and the number on the scale isn't healthy.
And for some people -- such as those with a genetic tendency toward obesity, insulin resistance, or post-menopausal women with hormone imbalance, metabolic syndrome, etc. -- you basically HAVE to "starve yourself" to lose weight and keep it off. Yes, it's possible for everyone to lose weight if they reduce calories enough, but some have to reduce MUCH MORE than others, to the point of going hungry. Is it worth it?

Old 11-17-2023, 08:46 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
That brings up the idea of why someone wants to lose weight. Is it to be as small as possible or is it to be healthy? Because starving yourself or giving yourself an eating disorder isn't healthy. Training yourself to be obsessive or compulsive around food and the number on the scale isn't healthy. Using exercise as punishment or to "earn" your food isn't healthy.
It kind of goes both ways for me. When I am overweight, I'm pretty obsessive or compulsive about eating foods I desire and crave. I go into denial about the fact that I'm eating unhealthy and that I've put on pounds.

So while some lucky people can be easy going about what they eat and how much they exercise, some of us need to be more regimented to stay healthy. That's not an eating disorder. It's knowing what works for our own body.

Old 11-17-2023, 10:36 AM

It is true that everyone is different and everyone needs to figure out what works for them. But at the same time, our culture is so entrenched in disordered diet culture nonsense that many people go through their lives starving and miserable for reasons that don't have to do with actual health. Yes, to lose weight you need to be in a calorie deficit, but that doesn't that you have to convince yourself that fat-free salad dressing is delicious or that you can never eat pizza or cake again. Having a healthy outlook on diet and exercise should be positive, not negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness