Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 11:07 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That brings up the idea of why someone wants to lose weight. Is it to be as small as possible or is it to be healthy? Because starving yourself or giving yourself an eating disorder isn't healthy. Training yourself to be obsessive or compulsive around food and the number on the scale isn't healthy. Using exercise as punishment or to "earn" your food isn't healthy.
Or eating emotionally. I remember once reading "don't eat when you are angry" and after that, I realized I was doing exactly that. I would get annoyed or angry about something, even online, and get up and go to the kitchen. Becoming mindful that I was doing that made me stop doing it.

Old 11-17-2023, 11:35 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Yep. I have ADHD and was diagnosed later in life, and one of the common traits is eating for stimulation. Your brain needs a dopamine hit, and ooh, that food will do the trick. Once I learned about that, I could be kinder to myself, that it wasn't about me not having willpower or discipline. So now when I feel that flash of boredom or need for novelty I can redirect it, or at least intentionally make wiser choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 07:47 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,535,268 times
Remember Oprah being on the cabbage soup diet - I bet that works.

Old 11-21-2023, 04:17 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,679,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
There was an article recently (Washington Post, if I recall) about a weight loss study where they had two groups of people. Both groups were on a restricted diet. One group also exercised (combination of weight lifting, cardio and high intensity interval training under the instruction of personal trainers) and the other group did no exercise. They lost the same amount of weight after 6 months. The exercisers did benefit with improved blood measurements (cholesterol, triglycerides, BP, etc.) but the weight loss was near identical.

As a person who has had weight struggles all my life and who is a dedicated exerciser, I found that so interesting.
The article is correct is some ways because most people who are overweight just needs to fix their health and their diet. Exercise isn’t for weight loss but for strength and physical fitness. Weight loss happens when the body can efficiently utilize the nutrients and get rid of excess food. That’s where the problem lies that Americans continues to eat a diet high in processed foods and heavy on proteins and carbs that requires a lot of energy to digest properly. People keep eating processed foods and it’s difficult for the body to process and digest the foods. Not to mention so many Americans eat so much dead foods that doesn’t promote probiotics the stomach lacks good bio diversity. The body needs microbes to help digestion.

So the OP is not gonna be able to lose weight without eating healthy natural foods.

Old 11-21-2023, 09:15 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,991,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
So the OP is not gonna be able to lose weight without eating healthy natural foods.
Or just a lot LESS food, regardless of the type. It's "calories in, calories out," remember?

I always heard that regular exercise "raises the metabolism," but I don't know how true...

Old 11-22-2023, 09:37 AM

3,216 posts, read 1,679,883 times
All I hear and see is people who continues to eat processed “healthy” foods and can’t lose weight. Stuff like low fat yogurt is full of sugar how is that healthy?

Salads full of sugar dressings and crutons aren’t healthy.

Or people who just thinks eating carivore diet but eating bbq isn’t healthy at all.

So much foods with hidden sugars and other bad substances like preservatives.

Weight loss is really easy, the body doesn’t like to keep the weight on but you have to stop putting in bad stuff for the body to digest.

Old 11-25-2023, 05:03 AM

14,956 posts, read 12,166,237 times
Quote:
All I hear and see is people who continues to eat processed “healthy” foods and can’t lose weight. Stuff like low fat yogurt is full of sugar how is that healthy?

Salads full of sugar dressings and crutons aren’t healthy.

Or people who just thinks eating carivore diet but eating bbq isn’t healthy at all.

So much foods with hidden sugars and other bad substances like preservatives.

Weight loss is really easy, the body doesn’t like to keep the weight on but you have to stop putting in bad stuff for the body to digest.
Oh, I don't know at all about the body ( at least my body), not liking to keep weight on if given half a chance to do so. All my life, at least once I reached adulthood, every gram I've ever shed has fought me tooth and nail to stay right where it is before it gave up and finally left. I've never found weight loss an easy, or quick process, but a process that occurs slowly, sometimes frustratingly slllllloooowwww, over time. And that's with the eat right, calorie in- calorie out and exercise lifestyle.... at least for me. Easy weight loss, my arrrsh.......

Old 11-25-2023, 06:51 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,505,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Oh, I don't know at all about the body ( at least my body), not liking to keep weight on if given half a chance to do so. All my life, at least once I reached adulthood, every gram I've ever shed has fought me tooth and nail to stay right where it is before it gave up and finally left. I've never found weight loss an easy, or quick process, but a process that occurs slowly, sometimes frustratingly slllllloooowwww, over time. And that's with the eat right, calorie in- calorie out and exercise lifestyle.... at least for me. Easy weight loss, my arrrsh.......
1% of your body weight per week is the fastest you should lose the weight. That prevents muscle loss. For some that’s frustratingly slow. But you probably didn’t pack on the weight overnight so you cannot expect to lose it overnight either.

Old 11-25-2023, 07:05 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,991,949 times
Quote:
Weight loss is really easy, the body doesn’t like to keep the weight on...
Easy for YOU, maybe. Are you a post-menopausal woman? Didn't think so!

Old 11-25-2023, 07:20 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
There is no one-size-fits-all way to lose weight, because there are so many factors that can determine an individual’s weight (emphasis on “individual”), including genetics, medications, physical condition of the body (think arthritis, among other issues), as well as what and how much is consumed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness