Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 07:26 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

"Re-feeding" is only an issue for extremely extended fasts, which aren't generally recommended anyway. That's where bone broth comes in. Intermittent fasting (usually 16 to 24 hours; never more than 48) doesn't require any special handling; you just eat at the end of it. I mastered it, but am convinced I slowed my metabolism by doing OMAD (one meal a day) religiously for months, so I now just fast a couple of days a week. Frankly, I haven't lost any weight to speak of, but it's worth a try. At any rate, you'll save a little money on groceries!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2023, 09:37 AM

7,570 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"Re-feeding" is only an issue for extremely extended fasts, which aren't generally recommended anyway. That's where bone broth comes in. Intermittent fasting (usually 16 to 24 hours; never more than 48) doesn't require any special handling; you just eat at the end of it. I mastered it, but am convinced I slowed my metabolism by doing OMAD (one meal a day) religiously for months, so I now just fast a couple of days a week. Frankly, I haven't lost any weight to speak of, but it's worth a try. At any rate, you'll save a little money on groceries!

Refeeding can be an issue on fasts of 5 days or more. I personally would not even classify that as "extended," but, I guess that Technically anything beyond 36 hours is extended.

One of the benefits of more extended fasts is that your metabolism is not reduced. Your metabolism is reduced by calorie restriction.

OP might want to try very low carbohydrate. You cannot start burning fat if you always have carbohydrates to burn off...

Let me know when you have done 21 to 40 days and how your refeeding went. It's very difficult to transition back into food (even with bone broth).

Old 10-29-2023, 10:18 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Refeeding can be an issue on fasts of 5 days or more. I personally would not even classify that as "extended," but, I guess that Technically anything beyond 36 hours is extended.

One of the benefits of more extended fasts is that your metabolism is not reduced. Your metabolism is reduced by calorie restriction.

OP might want to try very low carbohydrate. You cannot start burning fat if you always have carbohydrates to burn off...

Let me know when you have done 21 to 40 days and how your refeeding went. It's very difficult to transition back into food (even with bone broth).
I'll venture a guess that most of us have never come close to fasting 21 days.

What would be the purpose of fasting that long? Religious?

Old 10-29-2023, 10:32 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Years ago, I adopted an extremely obese 13 year old miniature rat terrier. I successfully brought him down to a trim weight by feeding him half the food he needed to maintain a healthy weight and mixed in plain cooked instant oatmeal to bulk up his meal bowl. And the added fiber was also good for him.

So if you want to lose weight badly enough, plan a sensible diet and stick to it.

Old 10-29-2023, 10:33 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Anything over 48 hours is considered "extended." IF forums don't even allow discussion of that. Up to 72 is considered possibly beneficial for autophagy, but beyond that it seems pure masochism.

Old 10-29-2023, 11:40 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
I just remembered a diet my DIL tried and lost 30 pounds. On everything you eat, there are the nutrition facts for that item. Look at the serving size. For example, I just looked at a bag of Lay's Potato Chips we have. Serving size is 15 chips. All she would eat was 15 chips. Same with lunch meat, bread, whatever she ate. and like I said, she lost 30 pounds. And the only exercise she did was cleaning up after 4 kids and a husband.

Old 10-29-2023, 12:00 PM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
I'm sorry that you are having orthopedic issues. I've known people who had bad knees for years and it really limited them and lowered their quality of life.

One thing that I noticed was that they tended to have a fair amount of starchy and sugary carbs in their diets.

When they committed to eating just natural foods - non starchy vegetables (cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, spinach, kale, etc), lean protein (baked chicken breast, fish, ground turkey, etc), eggs, berries and nuts - they had good luck losing weight.

Just commit to staying all natural, low carb, for one month. Drink water, seltzer, unsweetened tea, coffee. Avoid juice, sodas, energy drinks, etc.

Stay away from pre made, pre prepared, packaged foods. Cook from scratch using real foods. Season with fresh herbs.

You'll need to take it easy on those knees but you can do upper body work outs using hand weights. You might be able to do leg lifts in bed - but if it hurts don't do it.

Old 10-29-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I'll venture a guess that most of us have never come close to fasting 21 days.

What would be the purpose of fasting that long? Religious?

I have done several 21 days and one 40 day since being diagnosed with cancer. It helps to be motivated. Doing it sheerly for aesthetic reasons would be difficult.

The point is that if OP thinks she cannot lose weight and tried even a 3 day fast she would find out that everyone can actually lose weight.

But, I was introduced to fasting in my teenage years by my much older brother. So, I did one day a week and 3 days a month for years and years. I have always dabbled in fasting.

Old 10-29-2023, 12:35 PM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I have done several 21 days and one 40 day since being diagnosed with cancer. It helps to be motivated. Doing it sheerly for aesthetic reasons would be difficult.

The point is that if OP thinks she cannot lose weight and tried even a 3 day fast she would find out that everyone can actually lose weight.

But, I was introduced to fasting in my teenage years by my much older brother. So, I did one day a week and 3 days a month for years and years. I have always dabbled in fasting.
Honestly, I would try it if I needed to starve out cancer cells. Do you eat/drink anything besides water?

I believe Fluffy may be on other meds so fasting might not be good for her right now.

Old 10-29-2023, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Honestly, I would try it if I needed to starve out cancer cells. Do you eat/drink anything besides water?

I believe Fluffy may be on other meds so fasting might not be good for her right now.

Yes, I do not do a lot of meds to begin with (most of my meds are Asthma and allergies). Almost anyone can fast 3 days. However, I have had times where I was so toxic I had to make several attempts. This was mainly after I had procedures, surgeries, CT scans, PET Scans, etc., etc. -- it's scary how toxic you can become just going through diagnostics. I had all that related to the Dx for cancer and then I fell and broke my arm/wrist and had surgery on that as well. Toxic! I had times where I tried to fast and would only get through a couple of days. But, I kept at it over and over and over until I got cleaned out enough to fast 3, 5, 14, and 21 days. Then, mainly repeated 21 day fasts. I slipped on some stairs and broke my kneecap and I immediately quit eating for 40 days. That's not even all of it. I'm 61 and I have been through the wringer. That's just the last 9 years.

I will drink a cup of black coffee as long as my stomach can take it. I will use mineral water or spring water and I take a shot of apple cider vinegar twice a day (with sea salt). The sea salt and vinegar kind of cancel each other out to make them palatable. I don't put it in my water because I'd rather just get it over with. I take electrolytes and an excellent multi-vitamin and multi-mineral supplement. Sometimes I will haul out my organic teas. Sometimes I will use a crutch of diet coke for the first 3 days to get myself to stop eating (not advisable).

Once you get into full blown ketosis you are not hungry. Your body burns fat as it's fuel source instead of carbs. Your brain gets so entirely clear. The brain prefers the ketones. I was reading that a lot of these engineers competing in the silicon valley have been using fasting to gain a competitive advantage (not kidding). I always did a lot of fasting and one meal a day when I was young without knowing exactly what I was doing. I did it because I was a runner (7-10 miles a day) and I would not eat until after I got my run in.

There's really a lot surrounding this topic. I have several books on the subject. There is a lot of free expert material available online. It's interesting to read and practice, read and practice and the more experience you gain then reading about it is more meaningful.

I have not needed to be treated for the blood cancer yet. I feel I keep beating it back so it does not grow more (but, I have not had follow up PET scans to prove it (you have to have a reason to do those or the insurance won't pay for it -- and my deductible is like $6k so it would be largely out of pocket and it was expensive the last time I had one in 2016 -- I can only imagine now...).

I'm still alive and still watch and wait almost 9 years into it.

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 10-29-2023 at 06:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness