Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2023, 09:02 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times

Advertisements

After starting a new combination of high blood pressure meds (HCTZ, Ramipril, Amlodipine), I developed the worst insomnia of my life.

I'd go to bed and lie sleepless and fully alert until 3-4 AM. Then I'd sleep for 3-5 hours of unrestorative sleep. It was as though my "go-to-sleep button" was broken.

Honestly, I was starting to feel like a zombie.

So I started taking melatonin a couple of hours before bed time. Voila! Normal sleep just about every night. Falling asleep about 10-15 minutes after lights out. 7-9 hours of good sleep, What a relief..

I'm taking two capsules of melatonin--one a timed release and one a regular release.

I'm not recommending my particular dosage as each body is different. Experimenting or speaking with your doctor is recommended.

Some medications can interfere with melatonin production--as can aging, jet-lag and other factors.

Thought I'd pass this along in case it helps others...
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2023, 04:43 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,648 times
I too have recently begun taking melatonin gummies (up to 10mg) to help me sleep. I am astounded that they actually do put me to sleep within 30 minutes, which is a god send. However, they don't usually keep me asleep through the night. I usually wake up about 4 hours later, but can usually return to sleep for 2-3 more hours. Still sleep deprived, but much better than the relentless insomnia I'd suffered for the last 3-4 years and when I have to get up at 5:30 for work on weekdays, that was absolutely miserable.

What is helped is that I now go to bed at about 10:30 instead of 9PM. Take the gummies when I get into bed, so fall asleep later and don't wake up so early. I know its still the same amount of sleep, but this shift has help me feel more rested nonetheless. I'm glad I discovered melatonin as a sleep aid instead of the occasional Ambien. I will say that my dreams are now very vivid and active, sometimes a bit too much, but I'm getting used to it and sometimes they're quite entertaining, like living a whole other life in my sleep. Some people may find this disturbing.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:43 AM

10,546 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I too have recently begun taking melatonin gummies (up to 10mg) to help me sleep. I am astounded that they actually do put me to sleep within 30 minutes, which is a god send. However, they don't usually keep me asleep through the night...
10 mg seems like a lot.

For me, going to sleep isn't a problem. Sometimes I wake up and can't go back to sleep, so that's when I will occasionally take a small mg melatonin pill.

It seems that some people develop a tolerance with these, rendering them less effective over time.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

Some medications can interfere with melatonin production--as can aging, jet-lag and other factors.

Yes, melatonin is especially recommended for helping with adjustment to a new time zone when travelling.

Old 11-04-2023, 11:17 AM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
After starting a new combination of high blood pressure meds (HCTZ, Ramipril, Amlodipine), I developed the worst insomnia of my life.

I'd go to bed and lie sleepless and fully alert until 3-4 AM. Then I'd sleep for 3-5 hours of unrestorative sleep. It was as though my "go-to-sleep button" was broken.

Honestly, I was starting to feel like a zombie.

So I started taking melatonin a couple of hours before bed time. Voila! Normal sleep just about every night. Falling asleep about 10-15 minutes after lights out. 7-9 hours of good sleep, What a relief..

I'm taking two capsules of melatonin--one a timed release and one a regular release.

I'm not recommending my particular dosage as each body is different. Experimenting or speaking with your doctor is recommended.

Melatonin can raise blood pressure in people who are taking certain medications to control blood pressure. Avoid using it.
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...-940/melatonin

Old 11-04-2023, 11:46 AM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I too have recently begun taking melatonin gummies (up to 10mg) to help me sleep.
I am not a fan of gummies, generally.

Gummies are often loaded with fillers and artificial food dyes that are harmful to health. Also, the gelatin in gummies can easily get stuck in your teeth and can cause cavities and other dental issues. May contain added sugars, sugar alcohols, or food colorings. They aren't regulated, and may contain different amounts of nutrients than listed.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...mins#downsides

Dosages and ingredients in sleep aids are often inaccurate, may pose danger. Buyer beware: Chewable melatonin supplements sold as over-the-counter sleep aids may contain potentially dangerous levels of the hormone, according to a research team that tested 25 gummy sleep products.
The researchers found that 22 of the 25 products sampled contained significantly different amounts of melatonin than advertised. One contained no melatonin but did contain 31.3 mg of cannabidiol (CBD), a chemical found in the cannabis plant. Another had gummies packing nearly 3.5 times more melatonin than the labeled quantity
https://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-su...f-hormone.html

The new study found 88% of the gummies were inaccurately labeled, and only three contained a quantity of melatonin that was within 10% of what was listed on the label, said Cohen, who has studied invalid labeling of supplements for years.
“The regulatory framework for supplements is broken,” he said, “The manufacturers are not complying with the law, and the FDA is not enforcing the law. So what that means is that we have a lot of poor-quality products out there.”
https://edition.cnn.com/2023/04/25/h...ess/index.html

Old 11-04-2023, 11:49 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,765,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Melatonin can raise blood pressure in people who are taking certain medications to control blood pressure. Avoid using it.
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...-940/melatonin
The article actually states that it can help LOWER BP!

Old 11-04-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
The article actually states that it can help LOWER BP!
That makes sense for a normal scenario since it slows a person down. However, for someone taking BP meds it apparently can raise blood pressure? Go figure.

Old 11-04-2023, 01:12 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
I do monitor my BP daily...The 3 meds I take do a good job of keeping it within good bounds.

Haven't found the melatonin raises it..

But I must say, the previous long sleepless nights of insomnia were raising it..

Frankly, I'd trade a modest up-tick in BP for decent sleep...

Old 11-04-2023, 01:42 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,925,015 times
Melatonin has helped me with my sleeplessness, too. I’ve never taken more than 5 mg, and in fact I often break the tablets in half and take 2.5 mg. Seems to have the same effect.

I do sometimes wake up again in the middle of the night, though can usually fall back to sleep after an hour or two.

And weird dreams…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness