Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 03:09 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying, I really love where I live, and this is no knock on my city/town whatsoever. We moved here in 2019, but in that year the area had the distinction of being the fattest city in Florida. I am wondering why? I had noticed wherever we go, the majority of folks are really obese, and I mean by a lot. It is just strange to see this. I was in the hospital for a couple weeks a two years ago and was appalled at the number of health care providers that were literally morbidly obese, including the two "diabetes educators."

What do you attribute this phenomenon to? We moved from a coastal town and it was nowhere near the level it is here. I do see a lot of BBQ joints, wings, fried chicken places etc. but there are also a lot of healthy Asian places, Mediterranean food, etc. It seems the only people of normal weight are the younger college kids. The older, and married family folks...... yeah. So again, just curious about the sheer # of overweight folks here. Just wonder if there are any theories to explain this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 09:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I would consider what the major employers are there, and if there are more of the more sedentary jobs where people sit at a desk all day, and fewer active jobs like farming and construction. If it's a college town, the college administration and educators are all sitting at their jobs all day and they are probably one of the biggest employers.

Old 03-28-2024, 12:25 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Probably education(low) and poverty (high).

Old 03-28-2024, 07:25 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Southerners in general tend to have a higher obesity rate.
Bad diet and lack of exercise are the obvious answers, but I guess you want to know the reasons behind these choices.
Hard to say. Perhaps self care is not culturally important there? As mentioned above, this would suggest lower incomes and educational achievements.

Not surprising to hear health care workers aren’t so healthy. That’s not uncommon anywhere.
Physically active professions such as tree service and construction workers-now that would be surprising to see a fat person representing.

Old 04-04-2024, 04:08 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,272,331 times
I don't think it is exclusive to your area, as the US in general is very rotund. When I visited Poland and Nigeria, I was shocked how small the food portions are, and I saw more normal weight people everywhere. Seeing someone that was obese was not as common. Another thing I noticed is there were more people commuting by walking or cycling vs. the US.

Old 04-04-2024, 07:01 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,962,433 times
OP I'm a Floridian by way of NV, AZ and NJ and I can tell you the high rate of obese health care workers is not just in our state. I have morbidly obese family members who I love with all my heart and I know what the future holds for them because I've seen other family members go through amputations due to Type 2 diabetes. Health care workers are especially aware of the consequences and yet I've seen some outside enjoying a cigarette.

Sometimes education doesn't mean a darn thing when it comes to making smart health choices.

Old 04-04-2024, 07:41 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
You must be from Panama City or nearby. I have an acquantance from Germany who came to the USA to coordianate with his work partner and they took him to Panama City beach for an afternoon of leisure and said "Don't be shocked at what you see." He told me there were rows and rows of these individuals laying out on the beach. He was surprised that for a place with such great weather and outdoor places to go that it would be that way.

I feel bad for the individuals and so did he at the time. But I wish they could take advantage of the amenities available to help themselves be healthy.

Old 04-04-2024, 08:09 AM

36,411 posts, read 16,020,348 times
I noticed this when I moved to NC. I was shocked, yesterday I saw a woman with a full cart of Mt. Dew, when the soda goes on sale, it unbelievable how much they buy. They still eat fat back here, everything cooked with lard.

I don't understand either, every day on "food row" that's what I call it, each place is packed, fast food and Chili's, Coaches, Cracker Barrel, everyday.

First~People eat out way too much! How can they afford that?

Old 04-04-2024, 10:29 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times

Self reported Obesity by state, using BMI. Healthy is less than 25, lol. Congratulations, the 6 of you! No need to point out that this is not a perfect map or a perfect way to measure obesity. We know that, but there it is anyway.

Old 04-04-2024, 07:25 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I noticed this when I moved to NC. I was shocked, yesterday I saw a woman with a full cart of Mt. Dew, when the soda goes on sale, it unbelievable how much they buy. They still eat fat back here, everything cooked with lard.

I don't understand either, every day on "food row" that's what I call it, each place is packed, fast food and Chili's, Coaches, Cracker Barrel, everyday.

First~People eat out way too much! How can they afford that?
I too wonder about how all these cheap chain places are packed all the time. Even at those prices, it really adds up, and I know people who eat out CONSTANTLY. Don't know how they can afford it. We are retirees, and enjoy a meal out but for us it is once or twice a week, we go somewhere with good quality and don't order/eat junk. The rest of the week I cook healthy meals, and we even skip a meal now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness