Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 03:12 PM

51,403 posts, read 37,080,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
More a feeling of relaxation than happiness. But we just want a good, uninterrupted night's sleep which a nightly brownie provides. Don't really get "high" just relaxed. We don't smoke it. We sure prefer it to sleep meds--- Don't "pity" us, lol. I'm grateful!
He’d rather have you on Ambien, with a mile long list of side effects.

“Adverse effects such as hallucinations and psychosis have been reported, particularly with [Ambien]. Increasing reports of bizarre and complex behavioral ...
Ambien Symptoms and Warning Signs”

“Depression. Diarrhea. Headache. Sleepwalking, sleep driving, and sleep eating have all been reported”

Why people persist in believing that big Pharma chemicals are safer than a plant, I will never understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2024, 11:17 AM

35,278 posts, read 31,638,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well, pot does that too, with the munchies. When I was young and in 7-11 microwaving cheeseburgers at 3am, that was booze. At home eating a chicken pot pie followed by a sleeve of Oreos was pot, lol.
Eating something while high usually doesn't lead to the same amount of calories after consuming a lot of booze.

Old 05-21-2024, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Eating something while high usually doesn't lead to the same amount of calories after consuming a lot of booze.
Well regarding the calories, when I binge ate following a lot of booze, I usually ended up throwing a lot of it up at some point. Usually after I got home and laid down and the bed started spinning. I don't miss those days! I rarely drink now, pot is much easier on me and there's no hangover.

Old 05-21-2024, 02:15 PM

5,801 posts, read 3,288,394 times
Quote:
How would people buying legal weed enable them to gather data about them? Even if they had permission to access their medical records, they'd have to know what their baseline is, whether they do any other drugs or drink, how much they smoke, how old they were when they started smoking, and a 1000 other variables.
Well...yeah. lots of variables. But I ( in my possibly naive ignorance) think the data could be mined. There could be blind studies, encrypted data gathering, voluntary polls...just seems like it wouldn't be that hard. Heck...medical labs could offer small incentives to come in, answer some questions and have their blood drawn. Seems plausible to me.

Old 05-21-2024, 02:23 PM

5,801 posts, read 3,288,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
The nice thing is that we have a massive medical experiment going on with all of the current guinea pigs willing to use high quantities of powerful pot, for the betterment of medical science.

We are going to have some valuable hard data taken from this widespread, ongoing experiment in 20 or 30 years.
That "massive medical experiment" has been going on since before the white man showed up at Plymouth Rock. Its just that now...it's legal.

Old 05-21-2024, 02:42 PM

1,318 posts, read 603,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Epigenetics is a relatively new area of study. We're really just in the information gathering stage, and we don't know what the info means.....DNA is subject to chemical changes (often by adding a methyl group to the sugar backbone of the DNA) which may serve to activate or de-activate that gene..,Apparently this paper found that dope users have more of those changes than non-users....(? which is cause, which is effect?)

A big review of cannabis use was published in NEJM 10 or 15 y/a. They found little evidence that casual use caused any problems at all....While there may be no physical harm, I personally wonder about the mental health of those who feel compelled to use the stuff. It's such a pity that some people have to resort to use of chemicals to induce a feeling of happiness.
I find this a little offensive and missing the mark. People who use cannabis for medical reasons aren't "resorting to the use of chemicals to induce a feeling of happiness" (the same cannot be said for SSRI users, which is a little ironic). Medical use is to relieve pain, anxiety, etc. (works different on everyone).

Cannabis promotes the mental health of many people. I wonder what your impetus is for discriminating against a substance that is natural and helpful to many people with many different ailments.

Old 05-22-2024, 05:53 PM

35,278 posts, read 31,638,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
I find this a little offensive and missing the mark. People who use cannabis for medical reasons aren't "resorting to the use of chemicals to induce a feeling of happiness" (the same cannot be said for SSRI users, which is a little ironic). Medical use is to relieve pain, anxiety, etc. (works different on everyone).

Cannabis promotes the mental health of many people. I wonder what your impetus is for discriminating against a substance that is natural and helpful to many people with many different ailments.
Personally I think the medical aspect can be broadened.

I'm an alcoholic. I've been switching edibles and weed seltzers in for alcohol. Over the past week, I've had three beers, and a bit of a margarita pitcher with my girlfriend last Friday night. No other drinking or drinking alone.

Keep in mind I've been a 40-60 drink a week guy for several years. I'm not religious, and find AA off-putting. Weed has helped me far more than anything else.

Old 05-23-2024, 12:22 PM

19,843 posts, read 20,458,323 times
Quote:
He’d rather have you on Ambien, with a mile long list of side effects.

“Adverse effects such as hallucinations and psychosis have been reported, particularly with [Ambien]. Increasing reports of bizarre and complex behavioral ...
Ambien Symptoms and Warning Signs”

“Depression. Diarrhea. Headache. Sleepwalking, sleep driving, and sleep eating have all been reported”

Why people persist in believing that big Pharma chemicals are safer than a plant, I will never understand.
Exactly.

Big Pharma pushing chemical lobotomies - no thanks!

Old 05-23-2024, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Exactly.

Big Pharma pushing chemical lobotomies - no thanks!

Yes, they are used all the time in "restraint-free" nursing homes. They can't use seat belts in wheelchairs anymore, but you better believe they use sedating chemicals. Then the person can't get therapy, doesn't wake up to eat or drink, and just wastes away.

Old 05-23-2024, 04:00 PM

1,318 posts, read 603,382 times
Quote:
Yes, they are used all the time in "restraint-free" nursing homes. They can't use seat belts in wheelchairs anymore, but you better believe they use sedating chemicals. Then the person can't get therapy, doesn't wake up to eat or drink, and just wastes away.
Why can't they use seatbelts in wheelchairs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness