Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 09:03 PM

37,276 posts, read 41,495,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
You might just only need Iron pills and probably a colonoscopy, if you mentioned it sorry I missed it.

Aww crap. I have been found to have nearly no Iron in my blood. I went for bloods tests too. I think it is because I didn't take Iron supplements for a year and lack of vegetables with Iron. But now I may have to go for that damn colonoscopy and drink that crud for 2 hours My Iron is fine now with the Iron pills and I am not as cold as I was. My bowels are the right form and color so I don't see any reason to panic.

My doctor insists I should have a colonoscopy but I will wait until all other medical appts are done first then decide.
Do you not eat meat? How old are you? The question is whether only low iron intake is the problem or there is a source of iron loss because of bleeding. If you are female and no longer have periods then a GI source really does need to be ruled out. If you are 45 or older then the colonoscopy is recommended just based on age alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 09:35 PM

1,183 posts, read 886,144 times
Quote:
You might just only need Iron pills and probably a colonoscopy, if you mentioned it sorry I missed it.

Aww crap. I have been found to have nearly no Iron in my blood. I went for bloods tests too. I think it is because I didn't take Iron supplements for a year and lack of vegetables with Iron. But now I may have to go for that damn colonoscopy and drink that crud for 2 hours My Iron is fine now with the Iron pills and I am not as cold as I was. My bowels are the right form and color so I don't see any reason to panic.

My doctor insists I should have a colonoscopy but I will wait until all other medical appts are done first then decide.
I don't know what to say other than you are putting the doctor in an awkward position if colon cancer is a diagnostic possibility. They have a conscience and would question if they had insisted enough in making their suggestion more aggressive. Some might draw the line in the sand. They can rationalize it by saying to find another doctor since you don't value their opinion. Doctors do have emotional feelings about their patients and don't want to be willing participant to a train wreck.

Old 05-15-2024, 04:26 AM

15,081 posts, read 12,268,839 times
Quote:

Did you have your stool tested for occult blood? A positive test would tell you the blood is coming from your GI tract, and could be done before a colonoscopy.

Old 05-23-2024, 08:08 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,238,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Did you have your stool tested for occult blood? A positive test would tell you the blood is coming from your GI tract, and could be done before a colonoscopy.
I don't believe I have ever heard of that. My Gastro doctor wants me to get a colonoscopy but I say no way not now. Would the gastro Doctor be the one to test a stool sample?

Old 05-23-2024, 08:09 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,238,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
I don't know what to say other than you are putting the doctor in an awkward position if colon cancer is a diagnostic possibility. They have a conscience and would question if they had insisted enough in making their suggestion more aggressive. Some might draw the line in the sand. They can rationalize it by saying to find another doctor since you don't value their opinion. Doctors do have emotional feelings about their patients and don't want to be willing participant to a train wreck.
It's nothing personal against the Doctor. I hate drinking that crud they make us put into the water or whatever that crap is. It makes me sick and I throw it up. Plus other reasons. I will say private.

Old 05-23-2024, 09:40 PM

1,183 posts, read 886,144 times
Quote:
It's nothing personal against the Doctor. I hate drinking that crud they make us put into the water or whatever that crap is. It makes me sick and I throw it up. Plus other reasons. I will say private.
There's very little we can do except wait and watch and hope one made the right choices. We don't have all of the information in front of us to be able to determine much less eliminate diagnostic possibilities to be of much help. I hope it turns out well for you.

Old 05-24-2024, 03:11 PM

15,081 posts, read 12,268,839 times
Quote:
I don't believe I have ever heard of that. My Gastro doctor wants me to get a colonoscopy but I say no way not now. Would the gastro Doctor be the one to test a stool sample?

Actually, your PCP or a gastro doctor could test for that. Here's a little literature on the topic, describes it better than I could:

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-diso...ult-blood-test

Old Today, 05:35 AM

7,368 posts, read 5,266,906 times
https://www.jackson.org/partners/iss...me%20procedure.

A simple test for occult blood in the stool is almost worthless. It has way too many false negatives & false positives.

The newer Coloscreen test has only a little better than 50% accuracy at catching colon cancer....So, just flip a coin. Heads says you have cancer. Tails says you don't.....Would you trust that test?

Mix the stuff they give you with soda pop and sip it slowly over a few hours. You don't have to chug it. A missed colon cancer will be a lot harder on you than a !title bloating and diarrhea for a few hours.

Old Today, 05:01 PM

874 posts, read 1,718,914 times
A little over ten years ago I had a similar issue where my hemoglobin count went down from normal to a few points below while my ferritin came way down. The couple years leading up to the drop people I worked with commented on my weight loss so that might be something associated with iron deficiency anemia. I ended up getting a colonoscopy and endoscopy after a trace of blood was found in my stool consecutive days. The exam did not locate the source of the bleed.
Three months after the bloodwork showing lower hemoglobin and iron my numbers were within range. During that three month span my chiropractor ordered some pills from Standard Process. One was called Ferrous food? with iron and the other Zymex?. Also, I cut my work hours down from forty per week to twenty, made it a point to get eight to nine hours of sleep each night, spent a few hours each week sitting in sunlight, set aside time for prayer morning and night(no matter how tired I was). I went overboard on fruits and vegetables especially green leafy vegetables like kale and spinach(both excellent for the blood) and carrots. Occasionally I'd use the juicer for the vegetables. I believe all the different types of action you take can go along ways. Steer clear of toxic people, music, videos, etc. and you'll be on your way to good health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness