Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 03:55 PM

1,480 posts, read 1,521,336 times

Advertisements

Hello City Data folks,
A family member has Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS), we also just got termites. They were not visible a few months back so catching them early. WE are trying to use the least toxic chemical to treat this. They are external to the home and on 1 side only. We are going to research a bit more but so far this ingredient in Spectracide product looks like what we will use: Contains: Hexaflumuron. https://s7cdn.spectrumbrands.com/~/m...45SDSOct21.pdf
Have any of you who are chemically sensitive use these and had good effect both on killing the termites-but not hurting your loved one with sensitivities?

I also see that the all natural methods:

Biological control agents (nematodes and fungi) have demonstrated some success, particularly in laboratory settings.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 10:23 PM

5,734 posts, read 4,336,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Hello City Data folks,
A family member has Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS), we also just got termites. They were not visible a few months back so catching them early. WE are trying to use the least toxic chemical to treat this. They are external to the home and on 1 side only. We are going to research a bit more but so far this ingredient in Spectracide product looks like what we will use: Contains: Hexaflumuron. https://s7cdn.spectrumbrands.com/~/m...45SDSOct21.pdf
Have any of you who are chemically sensitive use these and had good effect both on killing the termites-but not hurting your loved one with sensitivities?

I also see that the all natural methods:

Biological control agents (nematodes and fungi) have demonstrated some success, particularly in laboratory settings.

Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken any chemical could cause sensitivity in someone who is so susceptible, not necessarily just the most toxic ones. If you use less toxic chemicals you may have to use more of them, increasing the risk of exposure. Likewise less toxic or "organic" chemicals may not work as well, meaning you have to use even more chemicals in the long run, or may cause just as much of a reaction. If it were me I would use the most effective chemical available, so I could use the least amount, and I wouldn't tell the susceptible person what I used.

Old 05-15-2024, 01:22 AM

2,957 posts, read 2,908,824 times
If they're external, Termidor is the go to.

Safe and effective is kind of an oxymoron in pest control.

If you want scorched earth results...Termidor.

Old 05-15-2024, 11:41 AM

1,168 posts, read 642,899 times
Not sure what kind of termites live down south, but here the predominate termite type live in the dirt and not in the wood of the house or structure.

They invade the wooden structure during the day, but at night they all go back down into the dirt / ground.

So here the way to treat is to saturate the earth where the nests are with a type of chemical that actually makes the termites get "lockjaw". It freezes their muscle or jaws?

That's what the pest control guy told me anyways.

They may also spray within the affected walls if there is a void in there.

He told me that the pesticide is very low in toxicity?

Anyways, maybe move the people out for a cpl days during and after the spraying?

Or just don't go into the basement where the treatment is done.

Old 05-15-2024, 11:48 AM

17,675 posts, read 13,466,038 times
You would probably get batter answers to this complicated question in the Garden Forum https://www.city-data.com/forum/garden/

Old 05-15-2024, 12:12 PM

3,084 posts, read 2,430,266 times
When I had termites, I called a pest control company and they put out termite bait stations around the perimeter of the house in the ground. It doesn't hurt people or pets.

https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef639#...walking%20away.

Old 05-15-2024, 12:14 PM

3,084 posts, read 2,430,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
You would probably get batter answers to this complicated question in the Garden Forum https://www.city-data.com/forum/garden/
I would try the House section. https://www.city-data.com/forum/house/

Old Yesterday, 12:20 AM

44,676 posts, read 61,787,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
If I'm not mistaken any chemical could cause sensitivity in someone who is so susceptible, not necessarily just the most toxic ones. If you use less toxic chemicals you may have to use more of them, increasing the risk of exposure. Likewise less toxic or "organic" chemicals may not work as well, meaning you have to use even more chemicals in the long run, or may cause just as much of a reaction. If it were me I would use the most effective chemical available, so I could use the least amount, and I wouldn't tell the susceptible person what I used.
This^^^ best answer.

Old Yesterday, 06:10 AM

7,335 posts, read 5,222,238 times
Two interesting subjects brought up here--

Ecology-- termites eat only rotting wood, so if you've got termites, you've go rotten wood. THAT'S your real problem. Probably wisest to call in the pros- both for extermination and for home inspection.

Medical-- MCS is not a "recognized" medical diagnosis. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...al-sensitivity. Nobody can find a common physiological thread or plausible explanation among those who suffer from it....That doesn't mean it's not "real" nor that they don't suffer.....If you don't like snakes, then avoiding snakes is probably a better treatment than taking pills for it.

Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM

469 posts, read 292,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
When I had termites, I called a pest control company and they put out termite bait stations around the perimeter of the house in the ground. It doesn't hurt people or pets.

https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef639#...walking%20away.
When we had termites, we went with the baiting system called Sentricon. It was done by Rose Pest Solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness