Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:26 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,128 times

Advertisements

OK, so here's my predicament:

I'm a 23 year old male, 6 ft tall, and I weigh 135 lbs. I'm certainly considered underweight to some, but my bone structure is very thin. When I look in the mirror, I don't think I look unhealthy- just thin. On my last visit, my doctor assured me that I'm healthy and that my weight is not cause for concern.

I have always had a high metabolism and can eat large amounts of food without gaining weight. I like to eat healthy- I eat lots of fruits and vegetables, lean meats, grains, etc... I drink lots of water and try to stay active. I'm not a big fan of fast food. I like sweets, but don't eat them all the time.

Ideally, I'd like to gain 10 or 15 pounds, but this is very difficult. If I eat lots of high calorie foods, I generally fill up and don't have the appetite to eat alot for several hours. Does anyone have any advice? I realize that I have a high metabolism, but it seems like it would be a little easier to gain a few pounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 09:40 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,734,196 times
Work out, eat protein.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:56 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Wow! now that is thin! I would not say it is something unhealthy or such, just the way you happen to be.

i would start by getting some meal supplement, N-large 2 works good and also indulge in some peanut butter and jelly sandwichs.

Plus hit the gym, start doing some weight lifting.

You of course are not going to look like Arnold or anything, but in my opinion you are defintly underweight, I do not care what any doctor tells you as these are the same doctors that tell obviously overweight women they are in their normal weight range, all PC.

Results will not happen overnight.

If you are self conscious about being in the gym, then get some dumbells and a bench either new or off craigslist and use it at home.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:56 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,762,438 times
I used to be in your EXACT situation at the age. I would highly recommend starting to lift weights fairly heavily. You WILL gain weight but it may not be a whole lot. I had trouble and still do putting on the type of muscle mass I'd like to. I spent over a year lifting heavily averaging probably 3-4 days per week and gained a whopping 5 pounds, my goal was 15 to 20. I wouldn't worry too much about it though because when you hit 30 it'll start coming on whether you want it to or not.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:06 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,482,185 times
My bf is on this regime of protein and working out to gain muscle...he is gaining muscle but he is still thin. You might want to consult a professional trainer or dietician. I used to try to gain but I stopped. I'm thin and will be so until the right time comes I guess.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:18 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,965,351 times
This post should be moved to the exercise and fitness catgory not Health and Wellness.

You are lucky in the sense that when you start working out, you (and others) will see the results rather quickly. I was the same way (skinny) for most of my life (but very athletic) and once I started working out things got so much better.

Join a gym.
Lift heavy - I mean lift HEAVY weights.
Buy and read the following book - "The New High Intensity Training" by Ellington Darden

Then sit back and watch the line of interested ladies start getting longer and longer at your front door.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:43 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
Just a thought- I lost a lot of weight by reducing my intake of carbs, and when I "cheat" and eat lots of carbs I gain weight, so what if you just adjusted your diet to incorporate a lot more bread and pasta and grains ?

Old 06-18-2008, 02:07 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,628,085 times
Downtownnola.....

I feel your pain as i was tall and ''Superskinny'' too at one time .

When i was 17 and entered the Navy in 1981 i was 6 foot 3 tall and wieghed 145 lbs on my Military ID Card and when i got out in 1985 i weighed 155 lbs as i gained just 10 lbs in 4 years. Now i weigh 220lbs and muscular with little fat for years.

What did i do ..........well i bought Gainers Fuel by Twin Labs back then at GNC ( not sure if it's still made) and added Whole Milk with Bananas and Peanut Butter shakes before and after my workouts and before i crashout at nite. I joined the YMCA and was lucky that several College Football players from UTEP worked out there so they taught me about lifting weights and also i started buying Muscle and Fitness magazines which had great workout articles by the pro's so i learned and slowly gained weight and muscle.

There you go from a tall and former Super Skinny guy who did just fine.....

Old 06-18-2008, 07:48 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,134,583 times
I was six feet tall and weighed 150. I went to a gym and gained 15, which was my target. It just so happened that I got hurt that day, and it would've taken awhile to heel. I just didn't go back.

I pretty much ate what I wanted to eat -- no special diet or anything. I've never needed to watch what I ate.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:50 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,128 times
Thanks for the replies everyone! There has been lots of good advice given. My problem isn't so much that I'm not eating enough- I just burn off everything that I eat. I'm sure that my metabolism will slow down in a few years and this won't be as much of a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness