Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 05:25 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,658,517 times

Advertisements

Yes, NC does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 06:54 AM

396 posts, read 838,183 times
Ambulances aren't "State Owned" in all states, although the protocols for EMS are dictated by the government. In fact, ambulance companies aren't "municipality owned" in all areas. Some places charge for refusals, some don't. And the fee ranges from around $50 (I think that's the lowest I've heard of around here) on up. Ambulance fees also vary by area. It just depends on where you live. If you have a question on it, I'd call your local ambulance company and ask.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:29 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times
Where we live, in Illinois, we have a Fire Protection district. It is the taxing body for fire and ambulance service. so we pay property taxes to support it and a fee when it is used. each fire protection district, or city fire dept handles things differently.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:21 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,364 times
Most do charge even if you did not take a ride, depending upon whether you have insurance and they cover it, they provided a service and expect to be reimbursed, what's a shame is the ones on welfare that call ambulances needlessly for non emergency needs, taking away an emergency vehicle for someone that possibly desperately needs it

Old 07-05-2008, 12:56 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Two states I have lived in, NY and NC do.
I live in NY and in the fall my daughter fell, and we thought she had a head injury. We used our Town's Volunteer ambulance. We were NEVER charged- it is a free service here... I don't know what service you used in NYS but we were not charged a single cent. Now, there is a METRO ambulance and they do charge.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:05 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I live in NY and in the fall my daughter fell, and we thought she had a head injury. We used our Town's Volunteer ambulance. We were NEVER charged- it is a free service here... I don't know what service you used in NYS but we were not charged a single cent. Now, there is a METRO ambulance and they do charge.
This was in WNY...a Buffalo suburb

Old 07-05-2008, 01:06 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
This was in WNY...a Buffalo suburb
I am from Rochester... Rochester Metro Ambulance charges... my suburban town's volunteer doesn't... hmmmm....

Old 07-05-2008, 01:12 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
A friend was moved from one area of a hospital across the parking lot to another area.....$600...

not sure about a refusal fee.....

ALTHO....if 911 is called, both the FIRE DEPARTMENT and the Ambulance service respond.....if the FD does the transporting [ya have to be friendly to em] there is no charge....if the Ambulance service does the transporting it starts at 600

Old 07-05-2008, 03:37 PM

396 posts, read 838,183 times
There is a difference between small town volunteer stations and what you call "metro" stations. Small town volunteer stations have other ways of making up the operating costs. "Metro" stations do not have those same ways and also have a larger call volume and don't have the time to do the fund raisers. Hence - they charge. Some "Metro" stations have better government funding as well which leads to less fees passed on to the patient or in some cases, no fees passed on to the patient. Also please keep in mind that some of the "Operating" costs are helping to pay someone, and paychecks vary between states...and some of them are less than you think...barely minimum wage in some places. To give you some perspective: In 2006 in average Nurses (RN) wages in PA was around $27/hour. The average Paramedic started out at around $14/hour. The average EMT started out around $9/hour. Now add in the fact that gas/diesel prices are going up...that equals higher fees in some areas.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:49 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,557,380 times
In Nebraska it is not a state gov't function, so state doesn't dictate what can or can't be charged. Charging varies based on municipality. Most of Nebraska is volunteer and even some of those depts still charge. I believe Medicare reimburses up to $500 for an ambulance that transports the patient to the hospital, so I think that's what you'll find as the common fee since alot of private insurance will reimburse up to the Medicare limit... I think you will find though that most departments don't agressively collect if not paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness