Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 03:47 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,998 times

Advertisements

Hi Susanne -- I haven't had the transpositioning surgery, but I've talked with my doctor about it, so that's how I know about it. All the other advice was from all my other arm and hand surgeries. Oh, another thing -- if you've got medications to take and you're going to be in the house by yourself (and they're in child-proof containers,) make sure you get somebody to open them for you before they leave. I was caught with no way to get a bottle open and needing to take some medication . I was going to teach my daughter how to open a child-proof container, but I decided against that . Also, any other jars or containers you may need to have opened.

One other thing I've discovered in the past couple of days: ulnar nerve compression is a symptom of having breasts that are too large. I'm now thinking about breast reduction because I've got compression in both arms (as well as plenty of other symptoms related to having larger breasts.)

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 08:12 PM

12 posts, read 58,972 times
You are so sweet to give me all of this advice! Who would have ever even thought of the medicine bottles? Wow! I'll be sure to ask for the "non" child-proof bottles since my boys are 16 and 18 :-) And who would have ever guessed large breasts could be a culprit? The funny thing is that I have gone down 4" around my chest but up in cup size to a darn DD. I have always been a 36B but now I'm a 32DD. How crazy is that?? I want to get back to a B but I don't know how. Any non-surgical suggestions on this one?

I go in early tomorrow morning and though I'm definitely not looking forward to surgery I will be glad to get it behind me. You have been a great help. Please keep in touch :-)

Susanne

Old 07-14-2008, 08:55 PM

Susanne --

Wishing you the best of luck and the easiest of recoveries with your surgery tomorrow! I will be thinking of you! When you're able to type, please let us know how you're doing!

Cathy

Old 07-15-2008, 07:33 PM

Thumbs up I made it!!

My surgery went very well and I was home by 11:45 am!! Not too much pain since they sent me home with pain meds. Because I had 3 surgeries all on the same are I am in a soft cast from my fingers to my arm pit and in a sling. Luckily I have a great husband who has been there for my every need. I call him my "man slave" He just laughs. I will keep you all posted so that if anyone ever needs to have these surgeries they can get a little glimpse of what to expect.

Again, thanks to all of you for your kindness and helping to alleviate my fears. Please keep in touch and I welcome any questions

Susanne

Old 07-15-2008, 07:50 PM

WOW!!!!!! It's great to see you online the night after the surgeries! I'm glad to see that you're doing so well afterwards! I may have questions about the repositioning surgery (this morning at 5 I woke up with my left hand - pinkie and ring finger - asleep, then at 6 I woke up with my right hand pinkie and ring finger asleep.) Hope your whole recovery is as easy as today!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:55 AM

It's now 2 days out and there's a little more pain than first day. I guess the numbing medicine is wearing off. I just stay on top of my pain meds and ice packs. I think I'm doing pretty good and I'm sleeping through the night. I haven't seen the incisions yet and won't until I see the doctor on the 28th. Running a low temp which is normal for a few days but overall I feel good.

Susanne

Old 08-02-2008, 10:52 AM

Update:

July 28: 13 days out and stitches removed. I was extremely anxious about this since I had 13 in my hand alone. They removed those first and then went to my elbow and removed the few that were there. The nurse put steri-strips on my wounds which will stay on for about 10 days. I was given an elastic sleeve to wear to help minimize swelling. Do not wear while sleeping.

Hand feels relatively "normal". Intermittent numbness in ring finger and pinky (due to the ulnar nerve transposition) and also in thumb and index finger (from median nerve). As far as the elbow goes it still won't straighten but hopeful it will eventually. Overall it all feels pretty good.

I start occupational therapy July 30th.

July 30: I went to occupational therapy and they can't stress enough how important it is to exercise hand, arm and fingers to prevent scar tissue from forming. If that happens I would be looking at further surgeries. YIKES!! Therapy begins with a moist heat wrap to warm up muscles and tendons. Simple exercises are given (17 exercises in all) and a follow-up with ice to reduce swelling. All in all the therapy session lasted for an hour. I will go back once a week for several weeks to monitor progress but I have to do the exercises twice a day including the heat and ice.

I will keep posting updates as the therapy and result progress.

Susanne

Old 08-02-2008, 07:41 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,942 times
Make sure to listen to them about not letting scar tissue build up. I had that happen and had to go back in to have it removed...not fun. To this day I have a spot the size of a quarter on my hand that feels as though it is asleep all of the time if I touch it. Other than that my surgery was a great success. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Old 08-06-2008, 08:26 PM

thanks for the advice! I will take it to heart :-)

Old 08-06-2008, 09:03 PM

Susanne -- I'm so glad to hear that all went well and that you're on the road to recovery!!! I agree with what sdstlouis says about the scar tissue. I massaged my incision area quite a bit post-surgery (once I could actually touch the area) so that scar tissue wouldn't develop. It felt weird for awhile, but now, just about a year later, it's totally fine.

Cathy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness