Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Background Noise To Sleep Or Total Silence
Prefer Some Kind Of Noise To Sleep 134 83.23%
Prefer Total Silence To Sleep 27 16.77%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 04:57 PM

749 posts, read 2,775,309 times

Advertisements

I like it quiet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 05:06 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,427,170 times
I have been using two white noise machines and a fan for years. But I can still hear my husband snore The fan runs no matter what the temp is. I music and TV keep me awake.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:36 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,987,928 times
I used to use a fan, but no matter where I pointed the fan, it totally dried out my nose, so I bought a sound machine from White noise ear plugs and ear phones!. This thing is really loud, but not loud enough (unless I put the machine right on my ear) to drown out hubby. I can also hear him loudly enough in the guest room to wake me up in the middle of the night (w/o white noise) so I sleep in the guest room with the sound machine and I can't hear him. Also, on weekend mornings when he (very kindly) gets up early with the kids, the sound machine drowns out most of their noise.

I can't sleep or live w/o my sound machine!

Old 10-02-2008, 05:54 PM

650 posts, read 2,181,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I'm curious as to how many on here need ''White Noise'' to sleep as i admit i need some form of soft noise to sleep as the Super Quiet bothers me as i hear every creak and sound like the clock ticking etc.. Ideally if i slept on a hammock with the wind blowing on me and hearing the wind gently blow would easily put me to sleep.

So over the years i always slept with the fan on me as the air feels good and the noise puts me to sleep but now it's getting too cold to use the fan as infact last night i woke up at 2.30 a.m. sleeping on top of my numb arm as i was freezing. Sometimes World or Celtic Music works but i still prefer to hear the hum of the fan.

I wonder if it's natural or not to need to hear some form of noise to fall asleep so are there others on here beside me who need some sort of noise to sleep or do you prefer total silence instead to sleep??
Ahhhhh! Hubby needs white noise to sleep. We have a sound machine in our bedroom, but he prefers a fan. IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!

Old 10-02-2008, 05:55 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,394,879 times
I suffer from tinnitus (ringing in ears) possibly from working around fighter jet engines in New Mexico many years ago. I listen to a radio with a sleep timer at night and have heard that people with tinnitus tend to use extraneous noises at night when trying to get to sleep. I do okay until Art Bell or George Norry on Coast to Coast AM radio start talking about scaly reptilian aliens or red-eyed demonic entities visiting people at night.

But seriously I do use a radio at night but I also find the noise of a fan to be soothing to my ringing ears.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:16 PM

230 posts, read 758,921 times
My 20 year old daughter, who suffers from severe tinnitus, has to sleep with a fan on every night. She made sure that she packed her faithful fan when she moved back on campus last month! Thank goodness she has her own room and doesn't freeze out her other roomates during the winter months!

Old 10-02-2008, 06:31 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,394,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVMYDACH View Post
My 20 year old daughter, who suffers from severe tinnitus, has to sleep with a fan on every night. She made sure that she packed her faithful fan when she moved back on campus last month! Thank goodness she has her own room and doesn't freeze out her other roomates during the winter months!
My wife of 36 years cannot have any sort of noise at night so I have to use a pillow speaker with my radio. Also, I am retired while she is still working so I have to be careful not to keep her awake at night. I've always been intolerant of heat, especially when I'm trying to sleep. I especially like the cool dry desert summer nights of New Mexico for sleeping. I do note that in recent years my wife actually enjoys a fan at night so, if I don't become cold-natured in my old age, we have it made.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:08 PM

9,543 posts, read 16,562,356 times
I have to have a fan on to sleep, or I have to be so exhausted I basically just pass out. I live in the inner city and the fan really helps to block out some of the annoying sounds of the city.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:21 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,657,897 times
I find the hardest time for me transitioning from summer (air conditioner running all the time) to winter - nothing on. Going from having some noise to nothing is tough. I usually have the fan on until I'm completely frozen and can't stand it before I can sleep in total silence. I too hear every single noise happening in and outside the house. Our house is pretty dead quiet but I think I'm a pretty light sleeper.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:30 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,949,905 times
I love a fan at night. I have tried to not let my kids get "addicted" to white noise like a fan, but when a little one can't sleep or I'm afraid our family nose will wake him, I turn on the bathroom fan to drown out our noises. I don't want to make white noise junkies out of my kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness