Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 12:27 PM

489 posts, read 2,015,013 times

Advertisements

What is your wife's age? If she is in late 30s or older, hormones can adversely affect migraines as well. I used to work with a man whose wife developed migraines at the onset of perimenopause (pre-menopause) and throughout her change of life. Something worth looking into, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 09:07 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,160 times
I've heard that energy drinks can cause intense headaches. In fact, I have friends and students that have experienced this.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:27 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,361,498 times
Hoosier,

You said in your OP that it's been in the last year that she has been suffering from migranes. Has there been a lot of stress in the last year that your wife has had to deal with ... family, job, upcoming move?
During this last year or so I was under a lot of stress due to some of the above mentioned and the migranes kicked in. Once my stress level reduced and this has only been in the last few months, my headaches have really eased up.

Hope you find a solution and your wife feels a lot better soon

Old 04-10-2007, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 6,254 times
I have suffered from migraines since I was a teenager. The trigger for me was a mild brain injury. I hit my head. They have gotten chronic since a car addident in 2002. I have tried homeopathic methods and all the different rescue meds. I currently take relpax, but because I am getting them so frequently it does not work as well as normal. I was on Topomax, but had to discontinue use. Now I am on Depakote to see if it will help. I feel like I am trapped by them. I live in fear of getting one and not knowing how severe it will be. I suffer the whole nine plus yards with them. I hope that they get under some sort of control soon. My career suffers along with the quality of life.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,254 times
I have read all the posts that are on this site. I am glad to hear that some have gotten relief from topomax. I did try that and the fifth month in I was having really bad problems with it. It did get the migraines under control, but the Topomax was to dangerous for me to stay on. On thing about docs here is they don't push narcotics for treatment. I was jusnt in the hospital today because I had a bad one today. An MRI was ordered up because my eye movement was messed up. I have researched and talked to several docs about this ongoing struggle. I have to believe that soon I will get the right prevenative medicine. I know of triggers such as the smell od markers, Some chemical smells, perfumes, artificial sweeteners, and red wines. I avoid these with in my power. Reading other people stories makes me realize that I am not alone in this battle.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:09 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Default Chiropractic helped me

I had frequent, severe migraines since I was 7 years old. About 10 or 11 years ago, when Imitrex came out for migraines, I tried it and it worked for me. Improved my quality of life immensely. However, about 5 years ago, I consulted a chiropractor for chronic neck problems. I had migraines a long time before the neck injury. (I might also add, growing up we never consulted chiropractors-that was just not something that was not well thought of in our household.) But anyway, it did help with the neck problem, but REALLY helped the "migraine situation." At the time, my chiropractor told me that he could cure the migraines. I didn't believe him, but I think he pretty much did. I almost never have to take my migraine med (Imitrex) anymore. I went from having a migraine about every 7-10 days to now getting one maybe once a year or so, and then very mild. I also started taking Norvasc for my blood pressure which affects the dilation of blood vessels and they think it may also be beneficial for migraines. I really credit the chiropractic care, however, for getting rid of the migraines. It was not overnight, but after about six months of frequent chiropractic adjustments.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,029 times
My bout of excruciating migranes started about two years ago when I experienced tremendous stress working under a French woman boss. It was the last trigger for a 5 year depression period that I had suffered rather silently and unknowingly previously. Since then, I had to deal with migranes on a daily basis several times a day. I am 32 and never had such episodes to such intensity before. For me, I noticed that my food triggers seem to be alcohol, coffee, nuts. Other triggers include stressful events such as job loss, divorce etc.I sought help from my GP but it was not much of a help. Meanwhile,I watch myself transform to a stranger as I slide deeper into depression and helplessness at my physical condition. I try to manage my stress and life but it is a struggle.I am constantly asking myself what I have done wrong. I had sought counselling and also gone for blood tests to check for other medical conditions.Besides a slightly below normal folic acid and B12 deficiency,the medics could not detect anything else.So I am taking vitamin supplements and nothing else for my migranes.Meanwhile, I also had to endure neck pains and sensitivity to light, frequenting toilets and a whole host of debilating symptoms. Sometimes, I see white flickering light and lose my orientation. I had fallen once beside a swimming pool and had to create a lie to cover my embarrassment at losing my coordination.

Last edited by twin_cruxific; 10-29-2007 at 03:20 AM..

Old 10-29-2007, 04:05 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Default Migraines and Fragrances

As we all know, there are numerous causes for migraines. Great suggestions from OPs!

In my case, migraines are triggered by the chemicals used in fragrances (perfume, cologne, shampoo, deodorant, hairspray, detergent, fabric softener, hand soap, hand lotion, room deodorizers, candles, etc.). As long as I stay away from these things I'm okay.

Years ago I had to work on a project with a guy who wore musk cologne and I requested that he refrain from wearing it while we worked together. About two weeks later he told me that since he stopped wearing the cologne he had not suffered from one migraine and thanked me for finding the cause of his headaches.

There are numerous websites about fragrances and health risks; here is one that explains it very well:
Health Risks of Perfume

As you well know, it takes a lot of patience trying to detect and eliminate the root cause(s) and I wish you both the best!

Old 10-30-2007, 05:16 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Hey Hoosier....I was having severe Migraines x 10 years, ruled out any masses etc, thru MRI.

I take Keppra and Topomax and it is helpful as a preventive. Your wife should see a Neurologist who specializes, IMO, and they will give her a journal to journal her migraines, severety, what she took for it, did it help, etc.

There are so many different triggers, she may want to do a food journal to see what she is eating, and see if she has a migraine...

I pray that her migraines leave her. mine have for the most part...since i have been gone from my husband, but I still have them now and again. I was having them almost every day of the week, maybe once a week or less now.

Good luck to you and her.

Rest and no noise, a dark room. I hated it for the kids, but it is what I needed

Old 10-30-2007, 05:54 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
I get them if I am ovulating or going to get my period..mine are inherited AND connected to my period for sure. My mother always had bad headaches and my sister and I also have them.

My mom would just go to bed in the dark till it passed. I remember that when I was a kid.

I think I must have trigger foods but I never have figured them out. I do think mine are more genetic and 'hormonal.' Last week I had one that I graded about a 4 (I grade mine from 1-10). I was sick and had a bad stomach but it only lasted a few hours.

When I am 'sick with it' I cannot be near food, need quiet, sometimes a smell will trigger it or be unbearable. (I often try to take a hot shower with a bad headache to relieve some pressure but the soap or shampoo smell can make me feel queesy.)

I find if I vomit I am 'fine' within a few minutes...does anyone else have that? I also get very, very sleepy and MUST sleep it off. I am usually fine after that.

I have had them so bad (let's say an 8) where I have been in bed all day. Since I started on 'herbs' for my periods it hasn't been so bad, but this month stress and bad eating and NOT getting my period has equaled that bad headache I had on Friday.

I sympathize!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness