Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:22 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,999,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
Hmm..so let's put a fire retardant in something that's meant to burn..sounds like a great idea to me.

I don't smoke, I'm not for smoking, but I am definitely against adding even more toxic additives without notifying the consumer.
The government was so kind to notify us by putting the three little letters "FSC" somewhere on the label without describing what the letters stood for. To make it worse this so-called notice might be hidden by the the state tax stamp!

Thank you for being a considerate non-smoker. As a smoker I have always been considerate of non-smokers but I've lost my tolerance for the non-smoking nazis who think they can treat me as a third class citizen.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:23 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
O.K. .... so i just called them again and received the same information as before.
They use something called alginate which is a derivative of seaweed.
>>> Alginic acid, also called algin or alginate, is a viscous gum that is abundant in the cell walls of brown algae. ...
And the woman on the phone said she believes they use a bit of starch to hold the alginate together.
There are two little invisible bands around the cigarette.
She said you'd have to remove the tobacco and turn the paper inside out to see them ... or something like that.
I've been, unfortunately, a smoker for too long although i smoke very little.
I am very aware of my body and have not noticed any effect of this fire retardant.
The only thing i do notices is that at a certain point, down toward the filter, the cigarette will almost go out and will totally do so if i don't take a drag.
I think i've noticed this "burn stop" at the beginning of a smoke as well but not as often since it's when i get closer to the filter that i tend to take fewer drags.
So Stratford, it appears that i am not misinformed but feel free to correct me again if you can provide some evidence of that which you present.
And if i am being misinformed, then i am being directly lied to by the company and if you can provide me with proof of what you say, i'd appreciate it.
Just to clarify, i am speaking of American Spirits and i realize that these products are part of the Santa Fe tobacco company.
Does the company make other tobacco products that are not either organic or additive free?
I didn't think so but if so, perhaps this explains our conflicting information.
Yes and no. EVA is used as the gluing agent in all tubes. SFTC is claiming to use Alginic Acid as their fire-retardant agent. SFTC had previously claimed(on their website) to use a starch agent on the paper for FSC purposes. They have now changed that description on their website to just a vague "special" paper description.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:26 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,999,180 times
Quote:
Well then they lied to me (i spoke with them on the phone about a month ago) and i'll call again and repeat to them what you have said, hear what they have to say and let you know.
No way. I can't believe a tobacco company would lie about their product. Can't be, just doesn't happen.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:28 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Does the company make other tobacco products that are not either organic or additive free?
I didn't think so but if so, perhaps this explains our conflicting information.
Yes, they're actually owned by RJ Reynolds.

Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company > FAQ > Overview

Old 09-30-2009, 09:33 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Yes, they're actually owned by RJ Reynolds.

Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company > FAQ > Overview
Yes, i know they're owned by RJ Reynolds and i saw that FAQ comment regarding the fire retardant.
I read those words to the woman i talked to on the phone a couple of hours ago.
It does not refute what she said.
"We use a modified paper and, in some cases, a modified filter, to adhere to FSC requirements. Our tobacco remains unchanged and still 100% additive-free."
That modified paper is the paper with the rings of alginate (the seaweed derivative) that i spoke of.
Of course they would need to adhere to FSC requirements. Apparently they have done so without treating the papers with chemicals.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Yes and no. EVA is used as the gluing agent in all tubes. SFTC is claiming to use Alginic Acid as their fire-retardant agent. SFTC had previously claimed(on their website) to use a starch agent on the paper for FSC purposes. They have now changed that description on their website to just a vague "special" paper description.
Well, i will pursue this further until i know exactly what is being used to treat the papers ... and i'll get back to you again ... another day.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
No way. I can't believe a tobacco company would lie about their product. Can't be, just doesn't happen.
yeah, of course.
i'm not naive.
i will continue to pursue this issue until i have a definitive answer.
i'll get it in writing.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
The Fire Safe Cigarettes are just plain nasty. They taste terrible. But since acetate vinyl ethylene is also used in the manufacture of sport shoe soles, ski boots, kayak insulation, and carpet glue you wouldn't expect much from it in a product marketed for human consumption......

I refuse to buy or smoke them. I now roll my own.
i'll do the same again if i can't find out for certain how american spirit papers are treated.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:21 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieladyred View Post
It is my choice to smoke as it is a drunks choice to drink
I'm sorry but your choice ended long ago when you became addicted. It's no longer a choice for you. If it was you would gladly stop paying $7+ a pack to kill yourself.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
I'm sorry but your choice ended long ago when you became addicted. It's no longer a choice for you. If it was you would gladly stop paying $7+ a pack to kill yourself.
that's not really true.
there is a choice to quit ... whether it's cigarettes, tobacco, etc.
it's just that addiction can be so intense and have such a grip on a person that it's difficult to see that there indeed is a choice and, once the choice is made, it's often a very challenging undertaking.
and unless you're one of those holier than thou people that used to smoke and now don't, it's seems clear that you haven't dealt with addiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness