Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 02:06 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Did you know if you are nearsighted, you dont need readers? Ever wonder why you could take your glasses off to read and after lasik you need readers right away? I take my glasses off to read and do not want to lose this ability. Intacs will correct most of my myopia but has enough give that I can forego readers.
That's what I do, i take off my glasses to read. I am nearsighted. i like being able to do this. Now that i know that with lasik i would need reading glasses, i guess i'll forego it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Hi NAH! there is NO WAY IN HELL I can hang out for even a NANOSECOND with my eyes peeled open, not blinking, CONSCIOUS! having someone "cutting" my eyes!!!!!!!!!!
Even if you don't feel it!!! Can you say PANIC ATTACK???!!!
Seriously, I can barely have that glacoma test done! In fact, I once refused! I have dry, light sensitive eyes & blink alot.
Are we related? It's nice to find out that I'm not the only one too afraid to do this procedure. Just the thought of it makes me want to cover my eyes. lol

Old 03-12-2007, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Ok...not to take over this thread and get all off track, but that just made me laugh! I wonder if anyone has ever tried it
I'm sure some of the males have tried to do other things with the oreck.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:15 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I already see the ghosting and the starbursts without my glasses. Id hate to have it intensified with Lasik. As for me, i'll stick to my glasses for the time being. Until they perfect something where i don't have to be awake for it. The thought of them holding my eye open with something might make me squirm and that would be a bad thing. As it is, i can't even keep my eyes open for eyedrops. I don't know how people do it.

Even if they could give you lasik while you sleep, you could have complications. Whats your glasses pescription? If its on the low side, you definately dont want any surgury or you will simply trade up for reading glasses. I know over 50 people who didnt do their reserch about the fact that being myopic cancels presbyopia. One poster here still denies it, well thats her loss because me and my mom can read just fine if we take our glasses off.

Intacs will greatly improve my distance vision but undercorrect me a little(about -1.5) so I can see the computer monitor without readers and also read books(not too close though!) without readers. I will only need glasses for driving and I hate driving anyway.

Sablebaby, do you have any comments towards my long reply to you? Which option appeals to you?

Old 03-12-2007, 12:30 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
You have several options.

1. Wear glasses full time. This is the safest option by far. Wear contacts for sports or special occasions. You have to be in glasses for a month before getting laser anyway.
2. Get laser in one eye(preferabily the non dormant) and if you are happy, get the other done, if not wear one contact and wait for better technology. Youll never be able to wear glasses again. Epi-lasik(a derivative of PRK) is 2/3 as risky as lasik because no flap, no suction cap and removes less cornea.
3. Keep wearing contacts as long as you can. This may damage your eyes and preclude you from being a laser candidate. Will have to face the music and go to glasses.
4. Get Intacs. This will reduce your prescription down to -2 -1 x180 and give you 20/150 to 20/200 UCVA which will reduce your dependency on glasses and get you in thinner glasses which is what you want. Intacs can be removed anytime so this is a big safety factor right there.

What option appeals to you? As for me, I am gonna see a doctor for an Intacs candidacy test and learn the facts. If I decide to get it, then itll only be one eye at a time. If in one eye and complications, it gets removed, else I get it in the other eye a week later. Intacs has many advantages over lasik/prk and I mentioned them already. Yes ill be a little undercorrected with Intacs but thatll just keep me out of reading glasses

Sorry I didn't get back to you.

For now, I think I will work on finding a good pair of glasses and try to wear them more often. If I like them enough, maybe wear the glasses on the weekends. And then wait until I feel comfortable with a particular procedure. It's not something that I'm concerned about at the moment. But I know in the future this subject will come up again with my eye dr.

Oh yeah, thanks again for the info and advice. For once, huh?

Old 03-12-2007, 02:30 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
Quote:
I already see the ghosting and the starbursts without my glasses. Id hate to have it intensified with Lasik. As for me, i'll stick to my glasses for the time being. Until they perfect something where i don't have to be awake for it. The thought of them holding my eye open with something might make me squirm and that would be a bad thing. As it is, i can't even keep my eyes open for eyedrops. I don't know how people do it.
I was wary before I had mine done. They ask if you'd like something to relax you; I did, and it helped a lot. It's actually kind of neat. It's like your own personal little light show going on.

I'm not trying to talk anyone into or out of it; that's a personal decision that he/she should make with a trained professional, not a bunch of us yahoos online. This is how it was for me.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Even if they could give you lasik while you sleep, you could have complications. Whats your glasses pescription? If its on the low side, you definately dont want any surgury or you will simply trade up for reading glasses. I know over 50 people who didnt do their reserch about the fact that being myopic cancels presbyopia. One poster here still denies it, well thats her loss because me and my mom can read just fine if we take our glasses off.

Intacs will greatly improve my distance vision but undercorrect me a little(about -1.5) so I can see the computer monitor without readers and also read books(not too close though!) without readers. I will only need glasses for driving and I hate driving anyway.

Sablebaby, do you have any comments towards my long reply to you? Which option appeals to you?
I'm not sure right off the bat what my prescription numbers are. I have weird eyes. lol I can only focus with one at a time..something that happened when i was a kid.
I am nearsighted, see better in my right eye than my left. According to my last optometry visit, i need bifocals. Or i can just take off my glasses to read, which i prefer instead of having bifocals where my eyes will look larger than my head.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:24 PM

I forgot to add, I also have incredibly great prescription sunglasses. I see better with those than I could ever see with lasik i think. They are polarized lenses. I've only had them since last fall. I am always excited when i go out with those since all the flowers look so intense, the grass greener, etc. I could never see like that all my life. It's just amazing to me.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:58 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,420 times
Quote:
Are we related? It's nice to find out that I'm not the only one too afraid to do this procedure. Just the thought of it makes me want to cover my eyes. lol
Hi cuz! I wouldn't call it "fear" as much as I'd call it "heeby-geebies"!

Old 03-13-2007, 10:56 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Sorry I didn't get back to you.

For now, I think I will work on finding a good pair of glasses and try to wear them more often. If I like them enough, maybe wear the glasses on the weekends. And then wait until I feel comfortable with a particular procedure. It's not something that I'm concerned about at the moment. But I know in the future this subject will come up again with my eye dr.

Oh yeah, thanks again for the info and advice. For once, huh?

You are welcome. Sticking to glasses is the best bet. Try to wear contacts less, your eyes will thank you for it

Quote:
I'm not sure right off the bat what my prescription numbers are. I have weird eyes. lol I can only focus with one at a time..something that happened when i was a kid.
I am nearsighted, see better in my right eye than my left. According to my last optometry visit, i need bifocals. Or i can just take off my glasses to read, which i prefer instead of having bifocals where my eyes will look larger than my head.
Several people here need reading glasses after lasik. Had they NOT gotten lasik, they could simply take their glasses off to read. What distance do you hold reading materials? This will give me an idea of your pescription. If you get laser eye surgury, you will still need glasses/bifocals but it will be for reading. Any doctor that doesnt mention this is doing you a huge injustice.

Quote:
I forgot to add, I also have incredibly great prescription sunglasses. I see better with those than I could ever see with lasik i think. They are polarized lenses. I've only had them since last fall. I am always excited when i go out with those since all the flowers look so intense, the grass greener, etc. I could never see like that all my life. It's just amazing to me.
Another reason not to get lasik, you wont see as well as you did with glasses and your near vision will go down the drain. I wont touch lasik on my eyes cause its too risky and doesnt have alot of benefits. Intacs are a much better bet and I am getting a consultation end of April, they are too busy now. Gonna see what the doc says. They want $5000 an eye which I cant afford, will consider getting Intacs at a different clinic that doesnt charge such outrageous prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness