Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:07 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times

Advertisements

I am of the firm belief that those with addictions use the "disease" label to absolve themselves for their choices that are not healthy. I will concede, however, that once addicted brain chemistry is altered thereby leading to a craving for more of the same. This, however, is an addiction and not a disease. Now, while addictions can certainly LEAD to disease, they are not diseases in and of themselves.

It pains me when I hear things like "your disease is doing pushups in the parking lot", "your disease wants to kill you." I know alcoholism is claimed to be a "disease" by the AMA, but I honestly think that has more to do with insurance coverage than anything else. I also think it was labeled this way to remove the "shame" associated with those who are addicted to alcohol.

One thing that really irks me are die-hard steppers who want to label everything a disease - from codependency to alcohol dependence (as it's now known in the DSM IV) to drug addiction to any myriad of other 12 step programs - overeaters anonymous, gambers anonymous, adult children of acoholics, sex addicts anonymous and on and on.

Anyway, why haven't things evolved more in the whole field of addiction medicine? Is it because addicts are the scourge of society and not worth the time and money? Why must the primary form of "treatment" be based on some antiquated "spiritual" solution. Certainly cancer would not be treated this way.

I'd post these questions in a recovery forum, but honesty, I think people on this forum are not brain-washed and will have more level-headed responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 09:14 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
I always seem to read a great post when I'm ready to go to bed.

Personally, I like to call the addictions disorders, not diseases. But that throws it over into the realm of psychiatric treatment. My insurance company is really cheap with psych care. I'm allowed three lifetime episodes. God help me if I really need help.

You sound as though you've had not enough or too much contact with substance abusers.

You said, "I am of the firm belief that those with addictions use the "disease" label to absolve themselves for their choices that are not healthy."

Unhealthy choices? Give me a break. It goes well beyond unhealthy choices.

'Night! I'll be back tomorrow to see what happened.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:43 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
If alcoholism is not a disease than why can some people drink and stop and others have such strong cravings they just have to have another drink. I read once that alcoholism is caused by an allergy to the substance the alcohol is made of. I have never had a drink, but if that is true, I had better never have a drink because I have lots of allergies.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I always seem to read a great post when I'm ready to go to bed.

Personally, I like to call the addictions disorders, not diseases. But that throws it over into the realm of psychiatric treatment. My insurance company is really cheap with psych care. I'm allowed three lifetime episodes. God help me if I really need help.

You sound as though you've had not enough or too much contact with substance abusers.

You said, "I am of the firm belief that those with addictions use the "disease" label to absolve themselves for their choices that are not healthy."

Unhealthy choices? Give me a break. It goes well beyond unhealthy choices.

'Night! I'll be back tomorrow to see what happened.
Very astute - too much. I still contend that those with addictions make unhealthy choices - smoking in point. I smoke. Now, do I have a disease or an addiction? Who is making the choice to go to the store and buy the cigarettes? Who lights one up? Me. Yet smoking kills 4 times as many people annually as does alcohol. Yet no one is saying I have the disease of smoking. Now, if I continue to smoke I may surely get a disease like lung cancer. Nonetheless, I take full responsibility for my smoking and don't blame it on some disease.

You will see people at AA meetings smoking like fiends gulping down cups of coffee, yet they claim sobriety. Hello!!! Nicotine is a drug. Caffeine is a drug. Nicotine is the hardest drug to kick!

Old 01-24-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If alcoholism is not a disease than why can some people drink and stop and others have such strong cravings they just have to have another drink. I read once that alcoholism is caused by an allergy to the substance the alcohol is made of. I have never had a drink, but if that is true, I had better never have a drink because I have lots of allergies.
Because some people's brain chemistry is such that they will get hooked and other people's brain chemistry is such that they will not get hooked.

This doesn't make it a disease, although I do admit that any addiction (short of those who are addicted to healthy choices) will lead to a REAL disease.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I agree with you, movin' on. You may genetically/physiologically be predisposed to having worse cravings, etc, but I have a real issue with calling alcohol/drug addiction a disease. Any time you have to go out and make an effort to engage in a behavior in order to create a problem, that's just lack of will power. Some people just have to fight harder than others. That's true of a lot of things.
Comparing alcohol or drug abuse with someone who inherently is ill (without introducing foreign substances into their body) is kind of lame. Probably part of the culture of how nothing is anyone's fault anymore.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree with you, movin' on. You may genetically/physiologically be predisposed to having worse cravings, etc, but I have a real issue with calling alcohol/drug addiction a disease. Any time you have to go out and make an effort to engage in a behavior in order to create a problem, that's just lack of will power. Some people just have to fight harder than others. That's true of a lot of things.
Comparing alcohol or drug abuse with someone who inherently is ill (without introducing foreign substances into their body) is kind of lame. Probably part of the culture of how nothing is anyone's fault anymore.
Gosh, that's too easy. I want some debate here

When do you think this nothing is anyone's fault anymore stance came into being? Because AA was founded in the 1930s and that has been the cornerstone of the disease concept, at least until the AMA pronounced it a disease. And that had more to do with insurance than anything else.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:33 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times
AA has something like a 95% failure rate yet so many government supported programs and institutions still treat it as the only viable option. Thankfully, the Smart Recovery movement (which emphasizes personal responsibility and shuns calling anything a disease) is growing in influence. Also, they don't follow the same cult-like idea of trading one addiction for another.

Check it out here: SMART Recovery® | Help with Alcohol, Drug, and Other Addictions

Old 01-24-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
AA has something like a 95% failure rate yet so many government supported programs and institutions still treat it as the only viable option. Thankfully, the Smart Recovery movement (which emphasizes personal responsibility and shuns calling anything a disease) is growing in influence. Also, they don't follow the same cult-like idea of trading one addiction for another.

Check it out here: SMART Recovery® | Help with Alcohol, Drug, and Other Addictions
Yes, and due to the nature of AA, it is not subject to public scrutiny at all. I read the other day that 60% of its members are there not of their own free will. IOW, sent by the courts. That is flat out nuts.

I think SMART and other organizations like SOS and LifeRing are a great alternative. Unfortunately, AA and other 12 step programs have such a stronghold and domination of the legal system and treatment industry that it will be YEARS until these alternatives make it into the mainstream, if ever.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:27 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Well it is a disease:

dis·ease
Function:noun

2: a condition of the living animal or plant body or of one of its parts that impairs normal functioning and is typically manifested by distinguishing signs and symptoms : sickness , malady
3: a harmful development (as in a social institution)

disease - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

You should review brain scans of addicts if you dont think its a disease.
Most addicts have trauma damage pre addiction. Stress and trauma have the same damaging effects on the brain organically (changes its seratonin dosing-a.k.a the happy balance ing in normal people). Not to say people can use that as an excuse to behave in any manner and you don't have to like them or what they do...but you should be understanding now that you know that is not always as simple as "behave yourself". Remember you last bad mood created by some body pain, or being hungry etc. People are not their best when under constant stress or after a period of constant stress. Even if they didn't intake any chemicals they still would be a dysfunctional person in another form.(overeating, sexual, OCD etc) Also nutritional deficiency problems that stem from addiction create an aggressive behavior and mood swings by being depleted making the already existing mood swing problem even worse. It can take a long time to really nutritionally restore someone that does drugs. If they can even be restored at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness