Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times

Advertisements

Today I have taken part in one of the most inane processes I have ever been a part of lol.

This morning, a piece of metal cut me pretty bad. I cannot remember if I have had a tetanus shot in the past 10 years. So when I get to work, I figure no big deal. I'll call my old doctor and my old hospital (they are not affiliated with each other) to find out if I have had a tetanus shot in the last 10 years. If not, I'll go get one today. If so, then I'm good.

Well, I call - and apparently I cannot get my own information unless I drop by and sign some kind of release form? Problem is, I now live in a different part of the nation. They said they can mail the form to me, but what good would that do? I need to know today if I need to get a shot or not. So they tell me to get my current doctor to call and request the information. I call my current doctor. They say that they cannot get information for me unless my old doctor/hospital mails me the form for me to sign. What kind of crap is this? I have to possibly wait 2-3 weeks just to find out if I have had a shot or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 10:13 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times
Navermind ... that was just for the Hospital records. I feel stupid now, although I still think it is a asinine situation you have to go through for your own hospital records. Luckily, my old doctor could just call me back with the info.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:17 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Today I have taken part in one of the most inane processes I have ever been a part of lol.

This morning, a piece of metal cut me pretty bad. I cannot remember if I have had a tetanus shot in the past 10 years. So when I get to work, I figure no big deal. I'll call my old doctor and my old hospital (they are not affiliated with each other) to find out if I have had a tetanus shot in the last 10 years. If not, I'll go get one today. If so, then I'm good.

Well, I call - and apparently I cannot get my own information unless I drop by and sign some kind of release form? Problem is, I now live in a different part of the nation. They said they can mail the form to me, but what good would that do? I need to know today if I need to get a shot or not. So they tell me to get my current doctor to call and request the information. I call my current doctor. They say that they cannot get information for me unless my old doctor/hospital mails me the form for me to sign. What kind of crap is this? I have to possibly wait 2-3 weeks just to find out if I have had a shot or not?
Unfortunately, this is the law that healthcare providers and hospitals now have to follow, your story is not at all unusual.

This is the HIPAA world we now live in...

Health Information Privacy

Old 01-28-2009, 10:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
You don't have to mail anything. Can do it by fax.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:22 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post

Would you want just anyone calling and saying they are you and your medical records sent to them?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
If you can't remember when you had your last Tetnus shot, it might be a good idea to get another one.

It won't hurt you, isn't very expensive, and it's always better to be safe than sorry.

But on the other hand, when was the last time you heard of anyone getting Lockjaw because their Tetnus shot had expired?

Old 01-28-2009, 02:00 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
I know I had to fax and sign crap to transfer. But who cares...I rather do that than have some stranger get easy access to medical records. Anyone could pretend to be you and ask for your records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness