Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 02:37 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times

Advertisements

anyone out there with underactive thyroid blood test results and high cholesterol results? what did your doctor do for you? I just had bloodwork done and my obgyn called me results. She said the cholesterol was really high and thyroid low. I have been taking thyroid medication for years..and last summer, the primary care physician, lowered my thyroid dosage. I have an appointment scheduled for a regular physical with the primary care doctor next week. I am wondering what gives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 03:40 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,950 times
Default Some help

You need to do a lot of reading on the disease. If your thyroid isn't being properly treated with meds, then it can affect the way your body processes cholesterol. You need to know your tsh and t4 numbers. You should have an idea on what level you feel best at with your tsh. Hows your diet? I would almost steer you away from having your primary care doc treating you. If you have any other health issues, you're better off seeing an endocronologist. Library or book store has a lot of books with loads of information on thyroid disease. Good luck.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:55 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
High cholesterol and hypothyroid can go hand in hand. I would consider changing your diet. Also if your thyroid is low your Dr. is not proper managing you and I would consider changing Dr.s as well.
Get online and read up on thyroid and cholesterol and other related diseases.
Good Luck.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Your thyroid medication is not doing its job. The dose is probably too low. In the meantime, you can make dietary changes that will help, such as eating oat bran and limiting foods known to contain cholesterol. There are OTC herbal preparations that will help lower cholesterol, too, such as plant stannols (they will combine with dietary cholesterol in the gut and prevent their absorption) and red yeast rice (which is a natural statin drug and will lower cholesterol.)

Old 02-04-2009, 07:43 PM

518 posts, read 2,061,478 times
You should have your thyroid checked every 6 months until it is steady, then yearly. My cholesterol was high and after my meds were readjusted it's gone down. Not much, still need to work on lowering it through diet and exercise. My thyroid was maintained at 0.075mg, until I hit 40 (been on meds since I was 23, shortly have having my first child), now it's at 0.1mg. It's hard to believe that that teeny tiny gland can cause so much havoc in your body. My main symptom was being tired.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:26 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
anyone out there with underactive thyroid blood test results and high cholesterol results? what did your doctor do for you? I just had bloodwork done and my obgyn called me results. She said the cholesterol was really high and thyroid low. I have been taking thyroid medication for years..and last summer, the primary care physician, lowered my thyroid dosage. I have an appointment scheduled for a regular physical with the primary care doctor next week. I am wondering what gives!
My blood test in October, showed those exact results. I have been on thyroxine for 7 years, and was pretty stabilized for the past 3 years. Or so I thought. I started feeling really tired, unmotivated, even a bit depressed. Because of that, I lost the desire to exercise, or care about my fitness. I kept putting it off, or just doing half-hearted attempts at a bit of fitness once in a while. I gained weight.

After the blood test, my doctor increased my thyroxine dosage from 100mcg/day to 150mcg/day. Couple of weeks later I felt I had more energy and got to exercising again. Regularly. And enjoyed it. Dropped the weight, felt better. Next blood test 3 weeks ago, LDL cholesterol is much lower, almost normal but not quite. Thyroid also happier. So am I.

I think the high cholesterol reading was due to lack of exercise due to being tired from inadequate thyroxine levels. A domino effect. I don't eat unhealthily, avoiding fast food totally, and most junk/processed foods, so the high cholesterol didn't make a lot of sense. But it can be caused by lack of exercise and weight gain.

Yeah, such a tiny little nothing gland and it can wreak absolute havoc on your health and wellbeing.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 12,831 times
Default Thyroid blood tests

Finally consumers have direct access to lab tests so they can take charge of their health and wellness. You can order online, using the same major labs, but with discounted prices and you get the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness