Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:45 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times

Advertisements

Georgia and SR-our daughter has RA and has had it for 5 years (she's 35). Her fingers are slightly disfigured. She is on meds - what I don't know.

Georgia-Happy early birthday. It's Mr. L's birthday and our anniversary on the 10th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 07:57 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-rose View Post
THANK YOU 6 FOOT 3 For your input and advice.
Doc mentioned 2 of the blood workups that one was only one point over and he doesn't understand why the second is way over for the inflamatory. As to the eyes, had a visit to the neuro opthamolagist a week and a half ago. Eyes were fine.
Sorry to hear about the grains issue. That has got to be disappointing. That kind of pain and in so many areas sounds aweful.
Best of luck to you in avoiding the grains and pain that comes with it.
I'm not surprised that your Doc is confused about you being way over in the inflammatory parameters as most inflammation in the body is generated by the Cytokines, Leukotrines and Tumor Necrosis Factor as i believe most standard blood tests won't show them.

As for grains that's just the way it goes as i do thrive on beef, chicken and fish with lots of broccoli and onions and low glycemic fruit plums, apples and frozen blueberries as my inflammation disappeared within a week after i quit but it makes it tough to eat out as everything is breaded or combined with a grain just about.

Anyway hope it works out for you.

6/3

Old 02-07-2009, 10:41 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,430 times
A few comments on both of the recent posts....I thought I had fibromyalgia for a long time and was on an anti-inflammatory for a few years and doing okay, although stiff in the morning. When things got bad for me they happened fast, too, just like you, Sapphire. It all blew up while I was in D.C. for the Inauguration. My feet were hurting some before then, then while I was there they got really bad. They swelled way up. On my rt. foot I couldn't even wear my shoe! My hands were also hurting and I started aching all over. Now, looking back, I think it was a combination of being in the moist cold weather for days, on my feet most of that time, and also the sitting in the plane that can cause swelling. When I got back home I went to a walk in clinic & was told that I was retaining water due to being on the plane and standing so much. The diuretics didn't help much, but the feet swelling did go down. Then I got into my regular dr. and he had the RH Factor test and the C-Reactive Protein test run. My RH factor was 2500, and he said normal is zero! The CRP test was also high. This and my symptoms were what he used to determine that I have RA, although I will find out more when I go to my rheumatologist in March. About 5 years ago I was diagnosed with Wegener's, another autoimmune disease. It attached my bronchi/lungs. But I've been off meds & in "remission" for about 3 years. I was told that these 2 things may be related. As for the eyes, I had a really badly inflamed eye about a month or so before the foot thing started. Thought I had pink eye because it was going around at school, but the meds for that didn't help. The other eye also got red, but not as bad. The worst one hurt like it was bruised. Now I've learned that the eye inflammation is also a symptom of RA. By the way, we're pretty close in age...I'll be 49 this coming week. I hope this bit of info explains at least what I've been told so far.

As far as the foods go, I visited with a lady at one of the schools I work at and she has had RA since she was 8. We was laid up in bed for 9 months at age 17. She is only 38 and her hands are all gnarled and she has all replacement knees, hips, and many finger joints. She said that potatoes are the worst thing for RA due to the starch in them. She has found that any starchy foods cause her pain to worsen. You know we think we have it bad, but consider her....she has had this constant pain for 30 years, and this past fall she had a horse accident and broke both legs, her pelvis, as well as had "road rash" injuries that required skin grafts. She had to go off her RA medicines so her injuries would heal as the RA meds lower your ability to heal. Poor lady. She is still on crutches and now working 1/2 days. She is back on the RA meds and doing better. Her attitude is so wonderful! She is not about to let this accident or the RA get her down! That's the kind of attitude I want to have!

Anyway, Sapphire, sounds like we have a lot in common. I hope we can continue to be a support for each other as we go through this. Let's be sure to keep in touch! Where do you live? I'm in Wyoming. Take care!

Old 02-10-2009, 05:58 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,399 times
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/nancy-blue/happy-birthday.gif (broken link)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Georgiainmt;
Hope you have a wonder-filled and BEAUTIFUL BIRTHDAY

Old 02-10-2009, 01:00 PM

Hello again.

Got my answer today, it is Psoreiatic Arthritis. Started my regiment of pills today.
I appreiciate the help and advice given here. You've helped me to keep my sanity to this point.
I'll keep checking back here. Hope to keep in touch.

HUGS

Old 02-11-2009, 11:48 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-rose View Post
Hello again.

Got my answer today, it is Psoreiatic Arthritis. Started my regiment of pills today.
I appreiciate the help and advice given here. You've helped me to keep my sanity to this point.
I'll keep checking back here. Hope to keep in touch.

HUGS
Right on Sapphire Rose !! Also look into Fish oils to help your body out .

6/3

Old 02-11-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Right on Sapphire Rose !! Also look into Fish oils to help your body out .

6/3
May I Give you a Great BIG HUG??? Thank you for your replies of encouragement.

Even though I only had the first round of meds yesterday morning. I woke with less pain and swelling. I'm amazed that it seems to be kicking in already. BUT since my cat did wake me up at 3 this morning I'm going for a nap.

SUPER SIZED GREAT BIG HUGS and THANK YOU

Old 02-11-2009, 05:21 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Hi there. I was dx with Seronegative RA about three years ago, I suppose.

I would say to really look into the medications that are RX. I know you said you were on the med for something else a few years back. I am just wondering if you had the symptoms back then that you are having now, and if your dr thinks it was RA back then?

I was on Methotrexate for my RA but then could not afford it anymore because I have no insurance. Last time I saw my Rheumie was last May I suppose. She probably thinks I fell off the face.

I do concern myself with a lot of the side effects that come with RA drugs. The biologics, anyways..

I wish you the best of luck and good health.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Hi there. I was dx with Seronegative RA about three years ago, I suppose.

I would say to really look into the medications that are RX. I know you said you were on the med for something else a few years back. I am just wondering if you had the symptoms back then that you are having now, and if your dr thinks it was RA back then?

I was on Methotrexate for my RA but then could not afford it anymore because I have no insurance. Last time I saw my Rheumie was last May I suppose. She probably thinks I fell off the face.

I do concern myself with a lot of the side effects that come with RA drugs. The biologics, anyways..

I wish you the best of luck and good health.
Hello Pikantari:

My DR said it is most definatly psoriatic arthritis I have, she said the treatments are the same as for RA. Methetrexate, folic acid and prednisone is what she has me on. I'm not at all happy with the possable side effects but the pain over ruled the fears. This did start coming on a long time ago I guess. I just assumed it was a natural process of my ageing. I was without insurance in 07, then DH started a new job and we have had insurance since 08, but I didn't know what was coming on or what it was until pain got to be everyday and then the crazy swelling. Had gone to my G P several times over the last 2 to 3 years and he never figured anything out. Spent more out of pocket on appointments, RX and never any answers until this week. Frustrating for these years of pain.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:01 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
i WISH THE VERY BEST FOR YOU AND NOTHING BUT THE BEST OF HEALTH....

oops, caps! (((((((Sapphire Rose))))))

Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness