Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 09:38 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,622 times

Advertisements

I am talking about with looks/body. I am dieting so that I can get down to the weight I had about 4 years ago...and that was only because I lost weight for my wedding. Actually that was my main weight about 8 years ago. I am going to be 35 in 5 months.

Everyone I talks to is like "soandso*insert name*, you have 2 kids and are almost 35, you look good for that...you are not 21 years old with a no-baby body"....but I do see women my age with 3-4 kids that look SPECTACULAR! I am even trying to grow my hair out long just as I had it like 6 year ago.

Part of me feels like I am trying to be in my twenties all over again. I get soooo envious when I see commercials or even out in public, of girls walking around showing just a little belly...and that is what I want.

Is it just wanting to hold onto my youth and not face growing old...or can it just be I want to look good?

Is anyone else like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 09:51 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
No, I try to stay in shape so that I can continue doing the things that I enjoy like gardening, hiking, kayaking, and climbing fences. Plus, I've never been one of those people who eat only salad. I LOVE carbs and eat whatever I want. But I don't over eat.

My policy has always been to keep an eye on my weight, though I've never been overweight. I think that is the secret, maintenance.

It's use it or lose it, in my opinion. You can't prevent natural aging, but you can take care of yourself.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:54 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I am talking about with looks/body. I am dieting so that I can get down to the weight I had about 4 years ago...and that was only because I lost weight for my wedding. Actually that was my main weight about 8 years ago. I am going to be 35 in 5 months.

Everyone I talks to is like "soandso*insert name*, you have 2 kids and are almost 35, you look good for that...you are not 21 years old with a no-baby body"....but I do see women my age with 3-4 kids that look SPECTACULAR! I am even trying to grow my hair out long just as I had it like 6 year ago.

Part of me feels like I am trying to be in my twenties all over again. I get soooo envious when I see commercials or even out in public, of girls walking around showing just a little belly...and that is what I want.

Is it just wanting to hold onto my youth and not face growing old...or can it just be I want to look good?

Is anyone else like this?
YOU'RE YOUNG!!!!! If you could only see 35 from my perspective after having already been there nine years ago! 35 is the start of the best part of your life. I know it sounds funky, but it's true. You'll just realize shortly that things got easier. Your beauty will gain a sophistication and grace that is impossible in your 20's.
Look at women in their late 30's and 40's. They're often more beautiful than women in their 20's because elegance and grace begin to combine with their natural beauty.
You'll find the 20's are no decade or time in life to emulate. You'll be 45 in ten years and you'll look back at pictures of yourself at 35 and realize and recognize that " Damn! I was hot!"
Let it happen!!!! You're an unusually beautiful woman and I can't see age doing anything but polishing what is already there. You'll see it too.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post

It's use it or lose it, in my opinion. You can't prevent natural aging, but you can take care of yourself.
Yes.
35 is indeed young, it was a great time for me. But that was then.
I said goodbye to my youth at my 50th birthday. (It was a swell party! )
I'm never going to do botox. Never going to get my eyes done.
I am never going to do any of that kind of stuff.
I stay slim, eat right, and exercise.
I have actually enjoyed each stage of my life for its various qualities.
Yes, gravity sucks (literally!) but the wrinkles and such are not the worst thing that could happen.
I am two years older than my dad was when he died.
That gives me a bit of perspective.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:11 AM

So the jist is- no matter what, take care of yourself. Which I guess is good I am dieting-I should be taking a little better care of myself. Get it down and maintain it. It also seems like to not try to reach what I was then...but be different, as I am a different age now.

So far it seems as if everyone likes how they are now!

Old 03-17-2007, 10:15 AM

Oh, and MoMark-thank you.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:30 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
So the jist is- no matter what, take care of yourself. Which I guess is good I am dieting-I should be taking a little better care of myself. Get it down and maintain it. It also seems like to not try to reach what I was then...but be different, as I am a different age now.

So far it seems as if everyone likes how they are now!
Maybe after a while we just grow accustomed to it! Way, way back when I was about to have my 30th birthday, I literally got sick for 3 days. If I'd only known then... At 40 I was ready to start having a new life. At 43 my youngest child turned 18 and I went to Jamaica! My 40's were great and I even got married again at 45 after having been divorced for 12 years.

I got a little dysfunctional about turning 50, but with everybody else ragging on me, I had to ease up on myself and just laugh with them. It kind of brought about a freedom that I never had before. It just wasn't that important for me to try to please the entire world so I tried instead to be true to myself. It's exhilarating!

I will be 60 later this year (hard for me to believe!) and we're still having fun. Unless gas goes up a bunch more, we're planning another trip to the Oregon Coast and will see a lot in between. Who knows where I might celebrate this birthday or what I might do? Only money or health would limit me from doing something spectacular, but money doesn't mean that much to me and I am blessed with good health. Anyway, what can really be more spectacular than a beautiful sunset view from a mountain or the ocean?

Enjoy today!

Old 03-17-2007, 10:33 AM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
MoMark is right again, don't waste your time wishing you could look 20 again, embrace each new day and enjoy it. Just take care of yourself, do the little thinks like eating right, drink water, you know the drill. I am 52 and I think I look better now than I did ten years ago. And even if I really don't at least I'm happy with it. And you really are still young, seems like yesterday I was 35, but I wouldn't go back for ANYTHING! I worked too hard to get where I am today.
Oh yes and a good anti wrinkle cream can't hurt

Old 03-17-2007, 10:59 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,363,333 times
I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA & MoMark ... you are stars! I wouldn't hold onto my youth for anything. Live life and prosper!

Old 03-17-2007, 11:25 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
oh hayull yeah...Restylane and Botox are my best friend! (plus plastic surgery)i aint ever gettin old. at age 42, most folks think i am in my early 30s...and i intend to keep it that way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness