Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:18 AM

350 posts, read 4,158,819 times

Advertisements

It seems that there are a bunch of people sick with the flu, starting in early March.

I currently have it and it's one of the weirdest colds/flus I've ever had.

My symptoms:

started out with chest soreness, felt like I had bronchitis
then I had muscle aches and a fever
Then I started coughing up phlegm
now the muscle aches and fever are gone, but I'm still coughing up phlegm
and the last symptom that just started is a runny nose and sneezing--
never had a sore throat through the whole thing

this seems like kind of a backwards flu/cold, since it ended with the runny nose and sneezing. My chest still hurts from all the coughing and I'm still coughing up phlegm.

Anyone else having similar symptoms? This is a rough one. Does it sound like bronchitis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 12:59 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,650 times
I had something back in Jan. Started as a cold, then went into my chest. It seemed like a sinus infection and bronchitis all in one. The cough was so bad, I pulled my back out. I could not sleep with the coughing, I had to get cough med with codeine. No aches or fever though.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:14 AM

4 posts, read 20,937 times
I just got diagnosed on Monday with a sinus infection and bronchitis. Yesterday I got diagnosed with the Flu. I'm coughing so bad at night that I end up throwing. My throat is so sore, I'm running a temp of 103, my legs are very achy, really bad headache especially when I'm coughing. I have never in my 43 years of life have ever had an illness like this. I'm wondering if anyone else has this and if so how long before you felt better. My doctor prescribed an antibiotic and an inhaler but I've yet to feel any better.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:21 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Sounds what I just got over, and what my wife is fighting (I had to share, it's in my nature).

Old 04-15-2009, 11:05 AM

How long before you felt better? Did you have any trouble breathing, shortness of breath, fatigue?

Old 04-15-2009, 12:15 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
Wow I am glad I found this thread. I have had the symptoms the OP listed for over a week-with a high fever since Sunday. I have used Robitussin and also Tylenol-every four hours. Once the Tylenol wears off-the fever goes back up.

I seldom get sick and I am actually considering calling my doctor since the over the counter stuff has not been working.

This really stinks-I hope that everyone feels better.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:25 AM

I went to the E/R yesterday. I was having shortness of breath on top of everything else. The E/R doctor listened to my lungs and said they were crystal clear. He remarked about my sinus infection and thought now I could have the Flu. They did chest X-Rays and they came back positive for viral pneumonia in two lungs. Make sure you pay attention to your body. Anything different that you don't feel is right make sure the doctor is aware and don't let it go until you are comfortable with the answer. For two days my primary doctors office kept telling me it will be a couple of days before I would feel any better. Even though I kept telling them I was getting worse not better.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:36 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3nh View Post
I went to the E/R yesterday. I was having shortness of breath on top of everything else. The E/R doctor listened to my lungs and said they were crystal clear. He remarked about my sinus infection and thought now I could have the Flu. They did chest X-Rays and they came back positive for viral pneumonia in two lungs. Make sure you pay attention to your body. Anything different that you don't feel is right make sure the doctor is aware and don't let it go until you are comfortable with the answer. For two days my primary doctors office kept telling me it will be a couple of days before I would feel any better. Even though I kept telling them I was getting worse not better.
Wow that is awful-take care of yourself!

I broke down and went to my doctor today and was told I probably started out with something bacterial, it turned into something viral and it is now bronchitis. He said he heard some "crinkling in my lungs" but my chest was clear. He gave me antibiotic-azithromycin and robitussin with codeine.

I have not been sick like this in a very long time. I hope everyone feels better.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:24 PM

I hope you get well too. My doctor just prescribed Robittuson with codein. I hope this helps me get through the night. The coughing and throwing has been horrible. Thanks for replying to my thread. I find relief in knowing others have this too. Not that this is really a good thing. Thanks again, and get well soon.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:57 PM

593 posts, read 2,440,004 times
This is crazy, because I work with Kleenex (you know, the tissue co.) and we just set up a separate flu-tracking website to track which states are having the most reports of the flu.

I'm in DC - well, Northern Virginia, specifically, so it's not too bad here yet (knock on wood), but states like PA, CA and TX are getting worse right now. It's really bad in Hawaii, but I still wish that I was there!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad March flu bug going around?-googleflutrends.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness