Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:53 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times

Advertisements

thoughts and prayers for you all! Please give us updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Well we are currently waiting on surgery to come & get her. The hole hasn't healed on it's own after a week,so they are going ahead w/ the surgery. She is in Children's Mercy in KC so I am confidant she is in good hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 03:36 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I didn't have this condition exactly but I had an empyema, which is a complication of pneumonia where pus collects in the pleural space between the lung and the pleural wall. I had to have two chest tubes inserted to drain out the pus. I have had many issues from the chest tubes--I wondered what others' experiences have been. I have not been able to take a deep, normal breath on that side since this happened, almost 15 years ago. It feels as if my lung is encased in scar tissue in part of it, however my chest x-ray after the event after 6 months was normal. Anyone else have something similar?
Empyema is pus in the pleural cavity (the space between the lung and the chest wall). It is CRITICAL to put in a chest tube for treatment, because this is a closed space infection and MUST be drained. You might have adhesions from this, but I think, overall, it's preferable to death.

The procedure to put the pleura against the chest wall is called pleurodesis. It has also been done chemically, especially in cancer patients who get malignant pleural effusions.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:44 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
any updates on the OP's daughter??

Old 10-10-2009, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,285 times
how was her recovery after the operation? coz i did the exact thing last week and wanted tro no how long it took ur daughter to heal and what was the pain she experiened

Old 10-10-2009, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,285 times
plz answer i am very worried and want to go back to my life

Old 10-10-2009, 04:58 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,430 times
Default operation

I never had the operation but doc wanted me to. Was told by another Doc he would put a chest tube in. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks since he put the tube in wrong. I went to another hospital by ambalance and the doc there told me the tube he put in was in the wrong place. Great. He put it in the correct place and in a week I went home. The pain from that lasted about 1 year when i woke up in the morning and took a deep breath.
I had another one 15 years ago and no tube or hospital was needed. It inflated by itself.
Check to see if the tube is the better way to go.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:12 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,308 times
She did very well after the surgery, and was on pain meds for about a week afterwards. Has't had any problems since (knock on wood!) !

Old 02-15-2011, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,290 times
My 20 yr old son had spontaneous pneumothorax Oct 2009 and had a tube inserted. After an air flight a month later on a regular commercial flight, it happened within 24 hrs again. This time he was told he could try and heal without a chest tube, although they recommended it for a speedy recovery. I believe the chest tube was inserted incorrectly; after questioning and the x ray result came in, it was pulled out a total of 12cm. I still wonder if this created more damage. within 48 hrs of removing that tube it happened again. We opted out of surgery while waiting in the hospital for 4 days, as it was again healing. He took a multitude of vitamins and herbs along with homeopathics over the next four months and was doing well. Now 15 months later, it has re-occured. This time it was not a bad, no chest tube, and healing on it's own but we are being pressured for sugery. Would love more info from those that have experienced this or has more knowledge. Any suggestions on alternative medicine??

Old 08-02-2012, 07:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,839 times
I had a chest tube removed 4 months ago, the pain went away for awhile, but now it's back. Does anyone know if that's normal? I'm afraid it might be breast cancer or something serious?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 940 times
My boy just had his left side, then they did a CT scan that showed blebs on his right lung, we opted for surgery as all the doctors in the hospital advocated it. My boy is still in the hospital going on 8 days. I wonder if what we did was right. They did surgery, staples and talc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness