Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:14 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I tried progressive glasses for one month. I was so out of balance with them. Everytime I cocked my head everything was at a slant and they threw my balance off. They also gave me a headache. I went back to regular glasses with glass lenses and have never looked back. The eye doc said progessive glasses are not for everyone. I'm happy with my regular tri-focal glasses now.
Same here. Also, some mentioned that they went to cheaper places. I have always spent a little more for my lens than some would but, I have had very good luck with them. It has been worth it.

eta: I didn't realize this post was so old.

Last edited by AnnieA; 05-09-2013 at 11:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,757 times
Default My post got lost

I just got my first pair of progressive lenses and I am suffering from visual distortion as well. I am able to read. The computer causes me some eyestrain. Distance vision is not clear and I find myself tilting my head left and right. Peripheral vision is distorted. My husbands plan is Davis vision. EMPIRE VISION made these lenses. This is my first pair of progressives and i just turned 50.

I have a large enough rectangular frame because the person who helped me suggest that a larger frame was better. I am not sure about depth perception and all that. It is so frustrating. I also wear contact lenes but EMPIRE told me to wear these straight for a month to let myself adapt and if I am not happy to bring them back.

I am not sure what to do.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Keep wearing the! Every day gets better. Also, try not to tilt your head.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:23 AM

240 posts, read 586,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise 50 View Post
I just got my first pair of progressive lenses and I am suffering from visual distortion as well. I am able to read. The computer causes me some eyestrain. Distance vision is not clear and I find myself tilting my head left and right. Peripheral vision is distorted. My husbands plan is Davis vision. EMPIRE VISION made these lenses. This is my first pair of progressives and i just turned 50.

I have a large enough rectangular frame because the person who helped me suggest that a larger frame was better. I am not sure about depth perception and all that. It is so frustrating. I also wear contact lenes but EMPIRE told me to wear these straight for a month to let myself adapt and if I am not happy to bring them back.

I am not sure what to do.
I have worn progressives for years and have had most of the same problems at times. A lot of the time it was the nose pieces (whatever they are called) if they aren't right the glasses don't sit right so you are always looking out the wrong section of the glasses. I move them up and down on my nose, sometimes with one eye closed to see if one or the other is right for whatever I'm looking at (computer, book, distance whatever) or to find the right spot to be looking through. Many times I've had to bend the nose pieces in to make them higher on my nose or widen them so they will sit lower. When you look in the mirror the best way I found is to make sure the top of the glasses line up the same with your eyebrows. If the don't then arms to the ears may have to be bent up or down a little or the glasses bent a little in the center. All this gets kind of tricky of course if you have the kind you can bend in any shape and they spring back. I can't remember what they are called.

I never liked the other kind of lenses because I was always moving my head a lot more to find the right place so I was looking between the right lines. The reading portion, in the bottom, is smaller on the progressives so I have hard time getting them right for best reading. I suppose this is because I do nearly all my reading laying down in bed. I keep a pair of bifocal readers for reading in bed. Top is clear- no prescription- and the bottom is for reading. With this kind I am not constantly changing glasses because even though stuff is a little fuzzy I can still see pretty good without glasses.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,342 times
I just got mine from Wilmer Eye cliinic. not doing too good. having lots of distortion the peripheral vision is bad. It is my first time with progressives ever. the problem is,[mod] no names, no consumer complaints [/mod] I am not very happy at this time. It seems like I have very little area that I can read out of. they are smaller Silhouettes, as I have a small face. I don't know what to do. Just trying to get used to them. But I am afraid to drive in them or even go outside in them.
I am having a lot of trouble seeing this computer screen. I have to lift my head up high to see the words. What should I do?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-03-2014 at 05:58 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 11:53 AM

675 posts, read 1,414,815 times
Well add me to the list that is disappointed with my progressives. Apparently it is 'normal' to have the blurry areas to the left & right?

Why wouldn't they tell you that up front when you're buying them? I've worn glasses for decades, and they've always given the same vision correction no matter what part of the lens you look through. I always thought that with bifocals or transitions, that of course you'd have a vertical difference in the lens for viewing different distances, but never imagined there would be a horizontal difference, let alone one so severe.

I can't even read a line on my computer screen (at about 30") from left to right without part of it being clear, and part being blurry. So I guess 'getting used to them' really means getting used to moving my head back and forth constantly... ugh...

I give it another day or so and then I might be taking these puppies back...

Old 09-12-2014, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,619 times
Default Focus with left or right eye

Wow! Thank God for Google!

I thought I had problems with my progressive lens and am glad to have read all of the posts/experiences started by Steve.

It has been mentioned a couple of times in this Thread, but no one has answered the question:

Is it "normal" for things to be in focus with one eye and not the other? Specifically, I've been getting trying to get used to the progressive glasses for a week and have adapted to the distance vision (love it!). I have also gotten used to the 'reading' portion of the glasses with some difficulty.

But, the "intermediate" zone is where I find the most trouble. I find myself using only one eye to focus on the "intermediate" items. For example, I will be able to focus on something in the intermediate zone (like the computer monitor) with my left eye, but the same thing is not in focus with my right eye. When I rotate my head slightly, then it will come in focus with my right eye, but now the left eye is blurred.

Is this 'normal'? Or am I missing something?

The people at the optical boutique where I bought my glasses keep telling me that I need to get used to my progressive glasses. I've even had them check it, and they said everything is fine with the glasses, especially since the distance and reading portion seems to be working for me.

Thanks for the posts!

Old 09-30-2014, 06:04 PM

163 posts, read 502,580 times
Hi have worn progressive lenses for about 4 years now but I just got new lenses in different frames and I'm having a hard time focusing. Is this normal?

Old 08-23-2016, 10:12 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I misplace them too often to be able to get used to them. At this rate, it will take me about 33 years to get used to them.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:31 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I first got progressives back around 1997. I was wearing them and trying to walk along the level driveway and practically fell because it appeared to be a hill! It was horribly distorted. I went back to the optician and he made new glasses using Varilux lenses. That made all the difference and that's the only brand I've used ever since.

Recently I had cataract surgery so now my prescription has changed. My new glasses won't be as strong as the old ones. I have a new optician and he doesn't seemed to have used Varilux lenses. I'm having trouble with the distance from about 4-10 ft, I guess that would be intermediate vision. Close up is fine, distance is WOW but I think I have to go back and see if he can adjust these glasses or make me new lenses that are Varilux.

My guess for people who aren't having luck with progressives is to go back and made sure the optician measured correctly and that the glasses fit correctly. If all else fails, try an expensive brand because that can make the difference too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness