Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 12:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm heartbroken!

Egypt is killing all of it's pigs!

The Associated Press: Egypt's call to kill pigs amid flu scare ridiculed

It's completely ignorant. Plus, they're eliminating the livelihood of the farmers.
Were you aware that Egypt also has 5 confirmed cases of human avian flu ?

Maybe, just maybe killing those pigs is a proactive move on their part to prevent ANYTHING from happening if that swine flu hits them.
BTW..the government has also announced they will be reimbursing the farmers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:08 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
QUOTE=Hopes;8600489]I'm heartbroken!

It's completely ignorant. Plus, they're eliminating the livelihood of the farmers.[/quote]

So sad.

Also Mom2Feebs, I agree with your paragraph also, well said ..

"For anyone wondering why so-called "healthy" adults have died in Mexico...it's MEXICO. Not exactly health central, unless you are one of the privileged few. I'd be interested in knowing each of the patients' history along with their socioeconomic status. Mexico, especially Mexico City, is rife with poverty, and where you have poverty, you have poor healthcare."

I was surprised to learn that an average of 5,000 die annually in Canada from the flu, or complications of.

At the same time, can you imagine the wrath the public would bestow upon the scientists and health officials if a pandemic was to erupt, and we weren't forewarned of what we could be up against?

This is an interesting thread, thanks for all the info!

Old 05-01-2009, 12:11 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
Just saw your post HappyTexan, .. the government has also announced they will be reimbursing the farmers.

Good news .. hope that's the case.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:12 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Quote:
This argument is irrelevant when you consider that the young and the old didn't die in Mexico.

The young and old could not all have been uber rich, and the healthy 24-45 year olds could not all have been the very, very poor.

That's where your logic fails.
The only logic that is failing here is the belief that healthy 24-45 year old people with access to healthcare are dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
So, do you think we have stellar heathcare in the U.S.?
Yes. Quite stellar, as a matter of fact.

Quote:
I'm heartbroken!

It's completely ignorant. Plus, they're eliminating the livelihood of the farmers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Were you aware that Egypt also has 5 confirmed cases of human avian flu ?

Maybe, just maybe killing those pigs is a proactive move on their part to prevent ANYTHING from happening if that swine flu hits them.
BTW..the government has also announced they will be reimbursing the farmers.
Allow me to be the conspiracy theorist here...the majority of Egypt's population are Muslims. Hog farms in Egypt are owned by Christians.

Yep.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
This is what I was thinking also that unless you are high risk they normally wouldn't test. I also think it depends on where you live at and how good your medical care is as to whether or nor they would test you, my 15yr old is an asthmatic but never have they tested him for the flu even when he presented with the symptoms. Half the time we probably self diagnose ourselves, grab some theraflu and treat ourselves at home, alof of the times not even taking time off from work. I know the majority of people do not have a plethra of sick leave and like to save if for a real emergency and for most people the flu isn't a real emergency you just feel like crap. I know I see alot of kids at school that their parents send them sick, fever, cough, sore throat, headaches yet here they come to infect everyone else. My youngest son does not run a fever so I finally had to tell the nurse if he comes in telling you he feels bad call me because here they normally only call if they have a fever or vomit. So he could be as sick as a dog and contagious but without the fever they wouldn't send him home.

Aren't you contageous for a couple of days before you show symptoms? How then do you know when to keep your kids home or stay home because you have the flu, not to mention some people carry the virus but are asymptomatic.
I was wondering about this after I read the newspaper articles about health authorities partially attributing Mexico's high death rate to Mexicans self treating and waiting too long to seek medical attention.

Read here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/01/he...ef=global-home

Well, Americans self treat the flu too. I always did. Almost everyone I know self treats the flu.

Mexicans didn't have a problem self treating either---until now.

I think the difference during this flu is Americans have the benefit of being forwarned so they are seeking medical attention right now.

The Mexican's didn't have warning since it started there.

Last edited by Hopes; 05-01-2009 at 12:23 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 12:19 PM

Interesting read in the New York Times about what it was like in 1918.

Newspaper headlines from 1918 are eerily similar to today: first outbreak was in Queens -- one month later officials assure there's nothing to worry about.

Quote:
.....Early reports sounded remarkably similar to those of last weekend, as the first cases of swine flu were confirmed in Queens: “Spanish Influenza Found in ‘Mild Form,’ †said a Times headline on Aug. 20, 1918. About a month later, with infections on the rise, Dr. Copeland assured New Yorkers “there is nothing alarming in the increase,†while advising the Board of Health to amend the sanitary code to require doctors to report cases of influenza and pneumonia.

By October, nobody was talking about how mild the disease was: the health department estimated that 20 percent of the city’s nurses were sick with it. One doctor was quoted saying he was swarmed in the street by mothers seeking help for their sick children.

The number of cases sometimes jumped by 800 or more people a day, and citizens were advised to cease shaking hands. Libraries stopped circulating books, and Dr. Copeland’s calls for calm sounded less cavalier and more urgent. “If there were no other reason for calmness, patriotism and the cause of the Liberty Loan would lead us to advise coolness on the part of the people,†he said when critics suggested he was not taking enough precautions (Liberty Loan referred to government bonds raising money for World War I).

As the fall wave was receding in November — another wave would hit later that winter — Dr. Copeland met with child-care providers about how to plan for the future for those who had been orphaned by the disease......

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/01/ny...tml?ref=health
Read the entire article. It's very interesting.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
So are you all implying that if you don't seek medical attention and home treat like you are indicating that Americans will die ?

Tamiflu is preventing deaths ?

Old 05-01-2009, 12:24 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Currenty Egypt has 5 cases of Avian Flu. They destroyed all the swine in their country. Now I think that's a good proactive move due to them having confirmed cases of H5N1. Why take that chance and they are reimbursing the farmers. BUT..many people are aware of the swine culling but are not aware that there are 5 cases of humans with H5N1 in that country.

I am keeping my eye on this and reading whatever I can. I also fear if this swine flu reaches China. And we may never know if it does as China denies everything until caught holding the bag.
It's already in China now. Mutation capital of the world, no doubt! If it gets a strong hold in China, look out below.

AP: Mexico's epidemiology boss faults WHO (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090501/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/med_swine_flu - broken link)
""Hong Kong confirmed a case of swine flu, Asia's first, and authorities there ordered a weeklong quarantine of the hotel where the man, a 25-year-old Mexican tourist, stayed. Besides Mexico and the U.S., cases have also been confirmed in six European nations, Canada, New Zealand and Israel.""

Old 05-01-2009, 12:28 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Um, 98 people per day die in the US of seasonal flu. Swine flu has infected about that many total, with not a single US resident death. The only death in the US was of a baby from Mexico that was flown here for treatment.

I wouldn't give yourself a coronary over this. Its all media hype, much like bird flu that was going to kill us all. And mad cow disease that was going to kill us all. And the swine flu from the 70s that was going to kill us all. Come on, think about it. Yes, there will be some deaths from it. The very elderly, the very young, the ones with weakened immune systems. The rest of us are going to be just fine. You know, like we are every year when the seasonal flu goes around. *rolls eyes*
//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...e-read-12.html

Read posts 111-114. this is why it is different. Not for what it is now, but for what it might become. All the elements are in place for a super deadly mutation. Then go read about the 1918 pandemic and see the erie similar situation. This flu might be having ordinary impact right now, but it is not an ordinary strain of flu. It hosts the potential to mutate, much more then most strains.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:28 PM

Maybe.

Many of those identified in the US were treated with Tamiflu and they didn't die.

The little Mexican boy who died in Texas didn't receive medical care right away.

But maybe not.

Maybe it's just receiving medical treatment----period.

The first death in Mexico might have lived if she had been put on a respirator.

Authorities will be better able to answer these questions if more people die---they'll have more cases to study.

So hopefully we'll never know the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness