Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:59 AM

103 posts, read 399,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganknight View Post
Let me get straight to the point. I am a 25 year old virgin and for years now have been told that I should see a gynecologist. I am afraid no wait terrified. I tried using tampoons and it hurt. I don't know what to do. I dont know whether I should go to one or not. So if you have any advice feel free to let me in on it. Thanxs
You should still see one anyway. It shouldn't hurt as long as you're relaxed. Ask yourself if it would be much more comfortable with a male or female gyno. Also you don't have to get the pelvic exam the first time you see him/her. You can use the first visit as an interview or screening process. I think they call it a general wellness visit. Definitely be honest with your healthcare provider so they can address your concerns, and you can get a feel for their bedside or interpersonal skills. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 10:29 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,205 times
Quote:
What's organic about a tampon? If you're using fragrance free it's already organic without going buying an organic brand. If you mean recycled paper, I'd prefer to not put anything used inside of me. IMO there's no way they can sterilize used paper products without chemicals that aren't organic. Not everything in nature is mild and safe for the body. They can clean the recycled products in "organic" chemicals that are harsh. Even arsenic is organic. Some people don't realize that organic is often just packaging to sell a product. If you mean organic to be non-plastic applicators, that will never happen. The cardboard applicators hurt.
Organic tampons are made with organic cotton, as opposed to pesticide-treated cotton. It has nothing to do with recycled paper or being fragrance-free.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:51 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's a rediculous assumption. Long fingernails can slice the inside. It's painful and can cause infection. And then there's the blood under the fingernails that's so hard to get clean. It's more sanitary to use an applicator unless you want to use latex gloves. LOL

What's organic about a tampon? If you're using fragrance free it's already organic without going buying an organic brand. If you mean recycled paper, I'd prefer to not put anything used inside of me. IMO there's no way they can sterilize used paper products without chemicals that aren't organic. Not everything in nature is mild and safe for the body. They can clean the recycled products in "organic" chemicals that are harsh. Even arsenic is organic. Some people don't realize that organic is often just packaging to sell a product. If you mean organic to be non-plastic applicators, that will never happen. The cardboard applicators hurt.
Why you think that fragrance free = organic is a mystery to me.
Tampons are made from cotton not paper ... at least the ones i use.
What tampon is made from paper?
Unless the cotton is certified organic it is heavily treated with pesticides .... even more so than with food products since cotton isn't a food and the regulations for non-food products regarding pesticides is much less strict.
(a very good reason to avoid anything that uses cottonseed oil by the way)
I've never seen or heard of recycled tampons. Ewww.
If a product says "certified organic" it's not just a packaging/sell tactic.
It means that the food or crop is grown in accordance with rather strict guidelines. You don't just look for the word "organic" but the certification seal.
So when i say organic i'm referring to that use of the word, ie; certified organic.
I'm not so sure that the word "organic" can be used anymore if it is not certified organic.
Lots of product, food and otherwise, will use the word "natural" but this does not imply that it's organic.
I usually use "natracare" and, because the tampon with the applicator fits my body better and i don't like to use the applicator, i remove the tampon from the applicator (which is paper/cardboard by the way, not plastic) and insert it with my finger.
"Organic" tampons (the various brands that i use) are not only made with organic cotton but are free of plastics and other synthetic materials and are not bleached and so are free of chlorine.
7th Generation also makes really good organic feminine products.
Good for the environment and good for us.
By the way, if i'm not mistaken, i recently saw, in the supermarket, an organic tampon by "Tampax" or one of the large feminine products companies.
The more people use/demand organic products the more these larger corporations will oblige and prices will come down so that we can all participate in a healthier and safer world.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 05-11-2009 at 12:04 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 05:20 PM

4 posts, read 12,566 times
No Roselvr, I am not afraid of being seen naked -well because I still have to get naked when I get a physical. Like most things in life I am just afraid of the unknown. As for the tampons, I do know how to use them it's just I am not use to them. Anyway, thanks to all of you for going out your way to help me out

Old 05-11-2009, 08:33 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Why you think that fragrance free = organic is a mystery to me.
Tampons are made from cotton not paper ... at least the ones i use.
What tampon is made from paper?
Unless the cotton is certified organic it is heavily treated with pesticides .... even more so than with food products since cotton isn't a food and the regulations for non-food products regarding pesticides is much less strict.
(a very good reason to avoid anything that uses cottonseed oil by the way)
I've never seen or heard of recycled tampons. Ewww.
If a product says "certified organic" it's not just a packaging/sell tactic.
It means that the food or crop is grown in accordance with rather strict guidelines. You don't just look for the word "organic" but the certification seal.
So when i say organic i'm referring to that use of the word, ie; certified organic.
I'm not so sure that the word "organic" can be used anymore if it is not certified organic.
Lots of product, food and otherwise, will use the word "natural" but this does not imply that it's organic.
I usually use "natracare" and, because the tampon with the applicator fits my body better and i don't like to use the applicator, i remove the tampon from the applicator (which is paper/cardboard by the way, not plastic) and insert it with my finger.
"Organic" tampons (the various brands that i use) are not only made with organic cotton but are free of plastics and other synthetic materials and are not bleached and so are free of chlorine.
7th Generation also makes really good organic feminine products.
Good for the environment and good for us.
By the way, if i'm not mistaken, i recently saw, in the supermarket, an organic tampon by "Tampax" or one of the large feminine products companies.
The more people use/demand organic products the more these larger corporations will oblige and prices will come down so that we can all participate in a healthier and safer world.
Certified organic means any product that is 70% organic.
So even if you buy a certified organic product it doesn't mean is 100% organic.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:19 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
It could be the type of tampon is causing the pain. I started using Tampax, when I was about 14 and long before I had sex. It's in a firm tube that can be lubricated without messing up the tampon. It's also easier to "wiggle" around until you get it in just the right spot. I tried other brands, but they simply didn't go in as easy. There was one brand, which I forget the name, that I couldn't get in at all.
I was thinking the same thing. I have used Tampax brand all of my life since I started using Tampons in high school and I'm in my 40's. I've used the plastic applicator ones but they did not "fit right" so I always just use the cardboard applicator ones and they are PERFECT!!! You know you have it in right before you "pust it out" and it doesn't bother you while it is in either. Btw, who needs "lubrication" to put in a tampon......... ??? LOL!

The OP could have a very short cervix too. This would make it uncomfortable. She needs to find the right size as well. Sometimes even though you may be on a heavy day the large or super sized ones just don't fit. She needs to try the smallest ones first and go up from there till she finds one that fits right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I completely disagree. Playtex is much smoother and better for lubrication---plus it 'wiggles' around better too. Tampax cardboard is anything but smooth. I still don't understand why Tampas is still in business. Then again, I can't understand why anyone would use 'applicatorless' OB.
I tried the OB brand once when I was with a friend and needed one and that is what she had. ACK!!! No way. I just could not get it in right plus the shape of it just did not fit ME. I needed that little extra "shove" one gets from the applicator with the Tampax.

While I don't mind my "friend" inside me it just isn't the same. I prefer the applicator over using my finger anyday especially during that time for sanitary reasons as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganknight View Post
No Roselvr, I am not afraid of being seen naked -well because I still have to get naked when I get a physical. Like most things in life I am just afraid of the unknown. As for the tampons, I do know how to use them it's just I am not use to them. Anyway, thanks to all of you for going out your way to help me out
Try a smaller size and a different brand. Find the one that fits YOU perfectly. Your insides are shaped specifically to YOU and no one else. That is why there are different sizes and shapes of tampons.

And YES..... YOU NEED TO SEE A GYNO!!!!! Even if your still a virgin. My mother made me go when I was a freshmen in college when I was 17 because she thought I was having sex. I wasn't though, not yet anyway . The pap smear is not the only reason to see a gyno for a REGULAR VISIT!!! You still need to go yearly at a young age. Anyway, good thing I went (besides her putting me on the pill since I did have a steady boyfriend and was in college but it was still another year till I really needed it for that). They found cysts in my breasts. I would not have found them as I really had not been taught what to look for and what they feel like. She did put me on the pill for this as well as it can help with the types of cysts I had. I was 17 and had to have my first mammogram. Young women die of breast cancer every year. They also die from ovarian and cervical cancer. Do yourself and your family a favor............. GO!!!!

Take a good friend with you. Ask a friend who they see and how comfortable they are with them. I ended up taking a good friend of mine to my gyno a few years later and she was a nervous wreck. As we were sitting in the waiting room I just told her not to worry as they always put the tools they use in the freezer before they use them on you (they really don't it just feels like they do). Take some deep breathes and you will be fine. Trust me....... all of these doctors have seen women just like you. They totally understand. Most of them are VERY soft spoken and try to help you every bit of the way and it really isn't as bad as you think. We all dread it even some 20something years later. Take a friend (they can wait in the waiting room for you) and schedule a girls day out for lunch on that same day. Oh, and make the appointment for either first thing in the morning or first one right after the doctor comes back from lunch. TRUST ME on that one.

If you have had ANY dental work done......... going to the gyno is MUCH EASIER! You go get your teeth cleaned twice a year. You NEED to go see the gyno once a year.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Certified organic means any product that is 70% organic.
So even if you buy a certified organic product it doesn't mean is 100% organic.
That's not true.
Products that are labeled 100% organic are just that.
If the label says "organic", 95% must be organic.
Products that state "made with organic ingredients" must contain 70% organic ingredients.
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getf...cct=nopgeninfo
These are standards regarding food ... i'm not sure about things like tampons.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
That's not true.
Products that are labeled 100% organic are just that.
If the label says "organic", 95% must be organic.
Products that state "made with organic ingredients" must contain 70% organic ingredients.
These are standards regarding food ... i'm not sure about things like tampons.
Here you go, I am talking about certified organic label.
source:

Under the "Made with Organic Ingredients": Meaning is 70% organic your label MUST: "Certified organic by ___ or similar phrase, followed by the name of the Certifying Agent". Meaning that a "Made with organic ingredient" can and must have a certified organic label. And usually the made with organic ingredients is extremely small legal size font, while the certified organic label is right on the front and big.

Also with a "Made with Organic Ingredients" MAY show a a certifying agents seal.
Like I said before (certified), don't confuse Certified Organic Label with USDA SEAL (2 completely different things)

Certified Organic is anything above 70%, USDA SEAL is anything above 95%.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Here you go, I am talking about certified organic label.
source:

Under the "Made with Organic Ingredients": Meaning is 70% organic your label MUST: "Certified organic by ___ or similar phrase, followed by the name of the Certifying Agent". Meaning that a "Made with organic ingredient" can and must have a certified organic label. And usually the made with organic ingredients is extremely small legal size font, while the certified organic label is right on the front and big.

Also with a "Made with Organic Ingredients" MAY show a a certifying agents seal.
Like I said before (certified), don't confuse Certified Organic Label with USDA SEAL (2 completely different things)

Certified Organic is anything above 70%, USDA SEAL is anything above 95%.
We both provided a link to usda.
I like my page better

Last edited by coyoteskye; 05-11-2009 at 10:18 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
We both provided a link to usda.
I like my chart better
Yes, and we are both right.
The main difference is certified label vs Seal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness