Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 12:30 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
I am having difficult knowing if this is a joke or you serious?
Off hand, I'd say "Angry Sarcasm."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 10:40 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Actually, we still do have freedom to choose the type of care we want IF we are proactive; get involved; maybe even pay for the care ourselves and later on justify to the insurer why our choice was not only what we wanted but was the most cost effective involved. For example, I'd rather go to a Naturopathic Doctor and be put on a program to eliminate high blood pressure and high cholesterol over a period of a few months for a cost of hundreds of dollars--and get my health back--- than have insurance pay for a much more invasive procedure of having a stent put in to unclog an artery (which is just temporary) and after that have to be on expensive drugs for heart disease and never be able to eat raw veggies again for the rest of my life.

People need to VALUE their own health enough to be willing to put their money where their mouth is and not continue to be passive non-participants in their health who can't think for themselves and simply act like robots doing everything their medical doctor tells them to.....

Old 08-29-2009, 08:40 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Here are the top 10 things missing from health care reform plan (and often absent from the debate):
#1) Ending the FDA's suppression of natural cures and safe, effective nutritional supplements.

#2) Initiating a real investment in public education to teach people about how to prevent disease with nutrition.

#3) Ending Big Pharma's monopoly on drug prices and drug patents (not to mention patents on human genes and animals).

#4) Restoring the ability for local doctors to practice local medicine without being controlled from bureaucrats in Washington.

#5) Cracking down on junk food advertising, soda advertising and pharmaceutical ads that convince people to purchase products that will only harm them.

#6) Banning dangerous chemical ingredients that cause diseases in the first place (aspartame, MSG, sodium nitrite, etc.)

#7) A real effort to improve school lunches and serve food that's nutritious instead of food that's cheap and convenient.

#8) Ending bizarre food subsidies on crops like corn that end up making high-fructose corn syrup the cheapest sweetener for manufacturers to use.

#9) Affirming health freedom for parents who wish to opt out of the current system of forced vaccinations and gunpoint-enforced chemotherapy.

#10) Requiring honest food labeling where irradiated and GMO foods are clearly labeled as such.

If this resonates with your way of thinking please visit: Health Revolution Petition for health reform in America

Old 08-29-2009, 09:35 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
You've summarized it well Cosmic Wizard.

Also, isn't President Obama showing his two facedness (with Michelle's organic garden at the White House) yet at the same time his administration is trying to force the passage of so called "food safety" laws designed to give the FDA even MORE control including telling farmers how to farm (just like they want to tell health insurers how to market health insurance) which could as far as I'm concerned threaten the existance-- and is probably designed to shut down small local farmers AND organic farms as the latest bill, H.R. 2749 that was passed in the House, (but there is still a chance that the Senate could shoot it down if everyone contacts their Senator and tells him or her to oppose it), would force EVERY farmer to track EVERY article of food? The FDA would be able to make warrentless searches to make sure all the additional records were being kept. Penalties of not doing so could be up to $100,000 OR 10 YEARS IN JAIL. They'[ve been saying this could extend to our backyard gardens.

When I found out my Congressman voted for this I was immediately on the phone demanding an explanation from his staff asking how on earth ANY Congressman who wants to do right by their constituents could vote in FAVOR of something with such destructive an impact on our food supply! They gave me a lame answer saying they thought it would prevent food poisoning incidences. Sorry but saving a few people from sickness from Ecoli isn't worth further contaminating our entire food supply and putting the few local sources of fresh food out of business.

This law would invariably result in increased "technology" that would lower the quality of ALL of our food by further destroying nutrients and increasing pesticides,GMOs, irradiation etc.-- we already know is harmful to our health along with increased use of pesticides and genetic engineering. If these "food safety" bills are so great, shouldn't the White House be getting food from regular food suppliers like the rest of us???

Needless to say, it will probably mean the end of Farmer's Markets as we know them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness