Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:03 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times

Advertisements

You're under NO OBLIGATION to allow anyone into your home OR into your private therapy sessions.

It wouldn't be the first time I've heard of this happening and it's wrong on so many levels.

You shouldn't have to be worrying about an unknown quantity when you're trying to recover.

Ring your PT and tell him you don't want the student coming again and that you're not happy with the fact it was sprung on you and you'd like to know how he will rectify the situation.

Do you guys have patient advocates over there? Don't be afraid to contact one and give them a run down of the situation if it's not handled well or you feel you need extra support OR are uncomfortable or just not up to trying to rectifying this situation on your own right now.

I have declined students being present in my OT and PT in the past. AND there have been times when I have agreed to them being present. It depends entirely upon WHAT will be happening in the session, HOW the request is made AND WHO the person that will be sitting in is.

Good luck with it teatime. I hope you're feeling better soon and I really hope your PT learns some valuable patient consideration from this incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 12:27 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Thanks, Woofers and Coyote. You are right. I'm recovering from surgery and didn't want to have to even think about changing therapists but the more I read what you have to say, I realize that this really was disrespectful and I deserve BETTER than that. Plus they are visiting MY home! I have every right to say who can and can't enter my home.

The more I thought about it the angrier I got. I have a bunch of pain pills like hydrocodone laying around and I dont know a thing about this kid who was in my house. He could have taken some of my pain pills for all I know and shared them with his buddies. Not saying he did but it IS a big problem. I don't want anyone here who isn't a professional, had a background check done, etc.
Now, now - settle down, you want positive energy for healing. Whoever contracted with the therapist to come to your home is the one who contacts him and says "NO MORE". If nothing else, your home health nurse - an RN? - is your advocate and s/he can also advocate on your behalf. Bottom line - you have every right to refuse student practice. Unless this is a high school student "shadowing" for class, a PT student is at least 22 years old and has had criminal checks and drug testing done prior to clinical. Get better soon!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:01 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Thanks, Woofers and Coyote. You are right. I'm recovering from surgery and didn't want to have to even think about changing therapists but the more I read what you have to say, I realize that this really was disrespectful and I deserve BETTER than that. Plus they are visiting MY home! I have every right to say who can and can't enter my home.

The more I thought about it the angrier I got. I have a bunch of pain pills like hydrocodone laying around and I dont know a thing about this kid who was in my house. He could have taken some of my pain pills for all I know and shared them with his buddies. Not saying he did but it IS a big problem. I don't want anyone here who isn't a professional, had a background check done, etc.
Absolutely. I'm glad to hear that you realize you deserve better. Yes, lots of people are looking for these types of jobs. Maybe you can interview some people and find a nice woman to come and help you who is respectful of your privacy and your feelings.

Woofers

P.S. I like Moonshadow's post above, too!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:09 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Quote:

Not that women are better than men, but you might want to ask for a female PT and find one that you feel truly comfortable with. You'll know.
Any feelings or intuition that someone isn't loving, respectful and caring need to be heeded.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:12 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Now, now - settle down, you want positive energy for healing. Whoever contracted with the therapist to come to your home is the one who contacts him and says "NO MORE". If nothing else, your home health nurse - an RN? - is your advocate and s/he can also advocate on your behalf. Bottom line - you have every right to refuse student practice. Unless this is a high school student "shadowing" for class, a PT student is at least 22 years old and has had criminal checks and drug testing done prior to clinical. Get better soon!
Regardless of criminal checks and age of the student, if she doesn't feel comfortable, she doesn't feel comfortable and feeling safe and cared for is a huge part of any recovery.
Lots of people are scanned by the system, appear to be o.k. and ultimately aren't.
Even if her fears are unfounded, she has the right to feel good about her therapy.
And saying, "now, now, settle down" is a bit patronizing. That's the kind of thing a man says to a woman when he can't handle her feelings.
Emotions aren't ruled by reason. If she's upset, that needs to be respected.
Maybe i'm misinterpreting you and if so, my apologies.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:24 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Regardless of criminal checks and age of the student, if she doesn't feel comfortable, she doesn't feel comfortable and feeling safe and cared for is a huge part of any recovery.
Lots of people are scanned by the system, appear to be o.k. and ultimately aren't.
Even if her fears are unfounded, she has the right to feel good about her therapy.
And saying, "now, now, settle down" is a bit patronizing. That's the kind of thing a man says to a woman when he can't handle her feelings.
Emotions aren't ruled by reason. If she's upset, that needs to be respected.
Maybe i'm misinterpreting you and if so, my apologies.
Thank you! I found that to be patronizing, as well. There's no way this kid was 22 -- I'd bet 19 or 20. And it didn't seem like a "clinical." It was much more informal than that.

I addressed it with the PT and he said he understood. The kid will no longer be coming to my home. I'm glad it's straightened out now and I hope nothing similar will happen again. This is my home and I should have the right to know who is coming, why, and the right of refusal.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:18 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Thanks, Beth. You're right, I do need to speak up. I guess I just like to work with folks as well as possible and don't like to ruffle feathers. Plus, the PT isn't an employee of the home health agency -- he just does contract work for them. But is the home health ultimately responsible even if they likely didn't know he was going to do this?
He's still getting compenstated. If you are paying for this I'd call and request that from now on you want ONLY the regular PT to come UNLESS you are given advance notice.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:34 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,995 times
Hummm... It IS your house and your body and you should have the say so over who comes and goes and WHO sees your medical history.. I would have been just as uncomfortable sending him out of the room to wander around my house unsupervised as I would have been having him there while I was undressed. If the employer didn't call you ahead and tell you he was an employee, how do you know he wasn't just a friend of the PT? He wouldn't have ever come in my house out of the blue. To many scams going on these days to trust people.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:43 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I felt it patronizing, too. Glad to see I wasn't alone.

W.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:45 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Hummm... It IS your house and your body and you should have the say so over who comes and goes and WHO sees your medical history.. I would have been just as uncomfortable sending him out of the room to wander around my house unsupervised as I would have been having him there while I was undressed. If the employer didn't call you ahead and tell you he was an employee, how do you know he wasn't just a friend of the PT? He wouldn't have ever come in my house out of the blue. To many scams going on these days to trust people.
Yep, that aspect didn't thrill me, either. Since I just had surgery, I had some heavy duty painkillers and muscle relaxers right out in the open! And since I had no idea this kid would be coming to the house, I didn't have a chance to put them away. Prescription drug theft is a big problem nowadays.

I'm glad it's been resolved. And now the home health knows I do NOT want students or anyone who is not a licensed professional affiliated with their agency coming to my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness