Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 03:34 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times

Advertisements

For about 8 weeks now I've been dealing with first the possibility and then the confirmation of breast cancer. I had to go through the usual mammo, spot mammo and biopsy routine. This took a total of 8 weeks through today. I've noticed In the last week, I've received:

A solicitation through the mail for supplimental cancer insurance
A solicitation through the mail for a donation for cancer research
A solicitation on e-mail for a cancer support website.

I don't recall ever having this sort of stuff delivered to me before. Since I've kept this condition very much just between just my husband and myself (and now you good folks) I'm very weirded out by such specific "junk mail". Am I just being paranoid? Has anyone else had this sort of targeted mail thing happen after being diagnosed with a serious disease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 04:09 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
For about 8 weeks now I've been dealing with first the possibility and then the confirmation of breast cancer. I had to go through the usual mammo, spot mammo and biopsy routine. This took a total of 8 weeks through today. I've noticed In the last week, I've received:

A solicitation through the mail for supplimental cancer insurance
A solicitation through the mail for a donation for cancer research
A solicitation on e-mail for a cancer support website.

I don't recall ever having this sort of stuff delivered to me before. Since I've kept this condition very much just between just my husband and myself (and now you good folks) I'm very weirded out by such specific "junk mail". Am I just being paranoid? Has anyone else had this sort of targeted mail thing happen after being diagnosed with a serious disease?
Yes. When my dad had cancer, I was the main contact, some how everything came to me. Donations for the cancer society & phone call solicitations. I'm not sure about email. I joined a cancer site but haven't gotten anything.

8 weeks sounds like a long time. I don't think it took that long with my mother in law.
There is a post in here by Roma that might help you out. Tons of great links & info in it.

Can I ask a personal question? As I'm going through peri- menopause; hot flashes are killing me. I've been thinking of bio-identical hormones because it seems like people that have been on synthetic have a specific type of breast cancer. Curious if you've taken hormones? If so, you might want to see if there is research being done.

Good luck. We're all here if you need a shoulder. I've had my own cervical scare and know how hard it is.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:36 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Yes. When my dad had cancer, I was the main contact, some how everything came to me. Donations for the cancer society & phone call solicitations. I'm not sure about email. I joined a cancer site but haven't gotten anything.

8 weeks sounds like a long time. I don't think it took that long with my mother in law.
There is a post in here by Roma that might help you out. Tons of great links & info in it.

Can I ask a personal question? As I'm going through peri- menopause; hot flashes are killing me. I've been thinking of bio-identical hormones because it seems like people that have been on synthetic have a specific type of breast cancer. Curious if you've taken hormones? If so, you might want to see if there is research being done.

Good luck. We're all here if you need a shoulder. I've had my own cervical scare and know how hard it is.
Thank you so much for the good thoughts and info. I'm very optimistic as its diagnosed as stage one and Dr is confident that a lumpectomy with radiation will take care of it. My Dr is through the MD Anderson Cancer Center here in Houston so I'm very much on the cutting edge(no pun intended) of all treatments & research out there if needed. As to the length of time for diagnosis, have to admit some of the 8 weeks it took was my fault. I might have dragged my feet a bit between appointments not wanting to think it was anything more serious than an overly cautious doctor I'm really weirded out about how marketers have gotten my info including a disease diagnosis! Way to "Big Brother" for my taste. I may have to read my insurance info a little more closely to see if they sell info to marketers

As to your question, I used to take HRT but haven't in over 20 years now. Should explain that I had to have a complete hysterectomy back in my 20s so I went through menopause a very long time ago. (I'm 50 now). I was considered a low risk for breast cancer due to my medical history. Can't be of much help there but I know what you mean about hot flashes. Been a long time but one never forgets that particular experience. Good news is that they seem to go away after around year 10.

Last edited by Va-Cat; 07-14-2009 at 05:32 PM..

Old 07-14-2009, 05:13 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
So sorry, Va-Cat. There is a psychological principle called something like the availability factor. When cancer is not in your thoughts, you discard w/o even noticing anything about cancer. But when you are thinking about it, you see all the things you missed before. Not to say someone didn't sell a patient list, either.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:25 PM

466 posts, read 929,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
So sorry, Va-Cat. There is a psychological principle called something like the availability factor. When cancer is not in your thoughts, you discard w/o even noticing anything about cancer. But when you are thinking about it, you see all the things you missed before. Not to say someone didn't sell a patient list, either.
or

The doctor SOLD her name to a mailing list.

More likely !

Old 07-14-2009, 07:29 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Va-Cat, good luck with your treatment! It sounds like you have the best breast care treatment available (I did a lot of research when my mom had it).

I agree with SouthernBelle. It's right there in your mind, so you notice it when you wouldn't otherwise. By the way, I got a mailing from the cancer society recently, too. I set it aside to send in a donation. Thanks for reminding me to take care of that.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:51 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
More likely people are stealing lists of names. It is still very disturbing and disappointing.

Scrip: a good book, music that makes you want to dance, a wonderful meal, sunshine on your face, quiet conversation in the wee hours...

Best of luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
or

The doctor SOLD her name to a mailing list.

More likely !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness