Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,923,337 times

Advertisements

A direct family member of ours just lost her long-time (35 years) best friend and buddy to cancer that ths woman had fought for over 12 years. Initially it was breast cancer, and she had double mastectomies, and all was good, or so we thought. Then, it came back in her liver and elsewhere, but somehow she managed to survive that for over 8 years!

Meantime she went on and got not one but two PhDs in medical biosciences, working on some cellular mechanisms of cancer, working, as it were, towards her own cure. Her first husband divorced her shortly after the first mastectomy surgery; her new husband married her in spite of knowing full well her longer-term prognosis. He is quite a guy, unlike the first hubby.

The effect of all this on our family member has been devastating. She does not want to go to a formal counseller, but has some basic questions on grieving, how she can possibly cope when she's really depressed about it, and so on.

Is there any sort of initial on-line psychological counselling, not necessarily anonymous, but with a certified professional on the other end? I'd like to be able ot offer her some positive advice.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 03:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
I don't know of any (I am a clinical psychologist) but there might be some in your state. The best thing to do is call or email your state's psychological association (every state has one) to ask about this.

Most big hospitals run grief groups, for anyone who has lost someone to whatver cause. And it's usually free and informal. She might feel more comfortable w/others in her situation. The American Cancer Society may also have some suggestions. Good luck!

Old 07-29-2009, 04:14 PM

23,873 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
The effect of all this on our family member has been devastating. She does not want to go to a formal counseller, but has some basic questions on grieving, how she can possibly cope when she's really depressed about it, and so on.

Is there any sort of initial on-line psychological counselling, not necessarily anonymous, but with a certified professional on the other end? I'd like to be able ot offer her some positive advice.

Thanks!
Tell her to come here and make a post; she will have tons of support.
Lots of us have been asking for a cancer specific forum; one day I hope they do it.

I'm sorry for her loss.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:44 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,923,337 times
Thanks! Good ideas. Yes, a cancer sub-forum would be very useful, especially if there were, perhaps, a clinician on as the moderator.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:59 AM

23,873 posts, read 33,587,145 times
It looks like a cancer section is coming. I asked after making the last post - they are considering it.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:36 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,502,568 times
On-line counseling -- I can't say enough about Cloud-Townsend. They are Christian based, however, Henry Cloud has to be the best psychology topic speakers I've -ever- heard. I'm not sure they offer on-line counsel per se, but they have (free) video clips (so you can get a real idea about them), and other resources (for sale) at their site. I've just never heard someone get to the 'bottom' of things is such a gracious, clear, sometimes humerous, and always helpful way as Henry Cloud. Cloud-Townsend, Leadership, Dating, Marriage, Parenting, Relationships ...

And www.newlife.com does offer on-line counsel (and/or I believe you can call 800-newlife anytime and talk with someone). They have a radio show (much like Dr Laura) New Life Live that I was 'addicted' to for a couple of years. And though it is Christian based, it is -very- reality based as well.

My sincerest thoughts and prayers to you and your family member.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:55 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
There are legal issues surrounding crossing state lines in offering online counseling. Dr. Laura was NOT a psychologist, she has a Pd.D. in something like agriculture. Anyone who is offering online counseling outside their home state is not a psychologist or any other kind of licensed mental health professional. I am glad you found help with Mr. Cloud, and many ministers have training in counseling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness